Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a hard time finding 18" wheels with the right load rating and offset. I don't want a higher offset than +30, and I think the minimum load rating should be ~750kg.

Any ideas? Best I found are Black Rhino wheels, but they have a +10 offset which is little too pokey and might rub with 245/60.
Doesn't meet your offset needs but I like these:
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

Don't look tucked in with 255/55-18s.
PXL_20221002_210915648.jpg

I almost went with the Black Rhinos, but at the end I chose the Methods. One thing to note, I have 255/55R18 on 18x8 with a +38mm offset which looks great in the front, but in the rear, the outer edge of the tire sits about 1" inside the outer edge of the fender. If I were to do it again, I'd probably add a spacer in the rear to even out how flush the tire is both front and rear (if that makes sense).

Excited to see what you end up going with!

Reactions: pdx_m3s
I'm having a hard time finding 18" wheels with the right load rating and offset. I don't want a higher offset than +30, and I think the minimum load rating should be ~750kg.

Any ideas? Best I found are Black Rhino wheels, but they have a +10 offset which is little too pokey and might rub with 245/60.
What about spacers? ex, Model 3 18" aero wheels (2nd revision) with +40mm but then a 10mm spacer to offset it?
I almost went with the Black Rhinos, but at the end I chose the Methods. One thing to note, I have 255/55R18 on 18x8 with a +38mm offset which looks great in the front, but in the rear, the outer edge of the tire sits about 1" inside the outer edge of the fender. If I were to do it again, I'd probably add a spacer in the rear to even out how flush the tire is both front and rear (if that makes sense).

Excited to see what you end up going with!
Are those the Method 502 (502 | Rally | Matte Black)

Tesla's Model 3 Aero width is 8.5J, Method 502 are 8.0J while stock Tesla Model Y Gemini are 9.5J .... wouldn't a 9J be better here? slightly flattening the tire and ever so slightly moving the center away from the front upper knuckle? or is rubbing 100% not happening on 18x8.5 +38mm at all for 255/55R18?

Also, unlike the model 3 Aero, the Method 502 do clear performance model Y break calipers, right?

What about spacers? ex, Model 3 18" aero wheels (2nd revision) with +40mm but then a 10mm spacer to offset it?

Are those the Method 502 (502 | Rally | Matte Black)

Tesla's Model 3 Aero width is 8.5J, Method 502 are 8.0J while stock Tesla Model Y Gemini are 9.5J .... wouldn't a 9J be better here? slightly flattening the tire and ever so slightly moving the center away from the front upper knuckle? or is rubbing 100% not happening on 18x8.5 +38mm at all for 255/55R18?

Also, unlike the model 3 Aero, the Method 502 do clear performance model Y break calipers, right?
The aero wheels didn't work for me on the MYPerformance (rear brake caliper clearance), though a spacer probably would have worked (I believe I'd have to grind off some of the caliper like in this thread). If you've got a Long Range, you're probably in better shape.

Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 5.15.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-14 at 5.15.12 PM.png

The aero wheels didn't work for me on the MYPerformance (rear brake caliper clearance), though a spacer probably would have worked (I believe I'd have to grind off some of the caliper like in this thread). If you've got a Long Range, you're probably in better shape.

View attachment 885154View attachment 885155
Hi everyone . Been reading this thread daily and wanted to thank everyone particularly gr8dane Bobbyleechan& others for the detailed info with regards to the method 502’s.
I have 2 questions still unresolved holding me back from going through with the orders:

1- I have a 2023 Y LR and currently not planning on lifting. Do you think I’ll do well with 502’s & toyo open county AT 3’s?
2- like Bobby mentioned, I would like the rear tire as flush as possible without rubbing or not clearing, therefore considering hub centric 10mm spacers in rear. Do you think that’s the right amount of spacing without a lift for the long range?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. currently have the wheels and tires ready for order with a tech at discount tire, stancemagic adapter/ method lugs ready to go. Thanks everyone

View attachment 885154View attachment 885155
Oh and one last thing and forgive my ignorance please:

when you say they had to add weights when mounting the wheels, what is that all about?

thanks again

Thought I would contribute: Back in April of 21 I worked with a contact at Discount Tire to test several tire and wheel size combos. As is well documented now and in our reddit posts, 255/55r18s are the way to go (we used BFG KO2s), especially with a little lift. This black car had the MPP lift as that was pretty much the only option back then and it served us well. We added the roof basket for looks around town as we never needed extra space on road trips. We sold the vehicle off on Oct 21 as we received an offer that was too good to pass up.

Since then we have been missing this car and over the weekend treated ourselves to another Model Y LR, this time wrapped in a satin pearl white, and have plans to "mad max" the car again with a lift, wheels and tires. We are eyeballing the Eibach Pro Lift as I like the idea of lifting with springs rather than spacers. Has anyone used this lift yet?

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_211910914 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210921_211910914 (1).jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 251
  • PXL_20210825_200434534 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210825_200434534 (1).jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 268
  • PXL_20210825_200339815.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210825_200339815.PORTRAIT.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 256
Thought I would contribute: Back in April of 21 I worked with a contact at Discount Tire to test several tire and wheel size combos. As is well documented now and in our reddit posts, 255/55r18s are the way to go (we used BFG KO2s), especially with a little lift. This black car had the MPP lift as that was pretty much the only option back then and it served us well. We added the roof basket for looks around town as we never needed extra space on road trips. We sold the vehicle off on Oct 21 as we received an offer that was too good to pass up.

Since then we have been missing this car and over the weekend treated ourselves to another Model Y LR, this time wrapped in a satin pearl white, and have plans to "mad max" the car again with a lift, wheels and tires. We are eyeballing the Eibach Pro Lift as I like the idea of lifting with springs rather than spacers. Has anyone used this lift yet?

Have you considered 245/60R18? Proven to fit and a tad taller.

On the springs vs. spacers, I would urge against the springs. With the springs, you won't gain any down-travel, and the shock position at ride-height will be out of spec. It coulld make for a weird and uncomfortable driving dynamic.

The spacers are nice because you mostly preserve factory comfort and suspension dynamics, while also increasing down-travel (at the expense of up-travel, which is really OK with larger tires since they will rub if stuffed up too high into the body on compression).

Small world. I saw a YouTube short if your car ripping in snow. That’s actually the first time I saw methods on a Y. To this day you’re black Y build with roof rack is my favorite I’ve seen, by a lot. The tire looks to fit the rear wheel well nicely. Did you have hub spacers on that build? Or is that just the regular 18x8 +38mm offset with 255/55 tires? Looking forward to seeing the new build!

Small world. I saw a YouTube short if your car ripping in snow. That’s actually the first time I saw methods on a Y. To this day you’re black Y build with roof rack is my favorite I’ve seen, by a lot. The tire looks to fit the rear wheel well nicely. Did you have hub spacers on that build? Or is that just the regular 18x8 +38mm offset with 255/55 tires? Looking forward to seeing the new build!
Typos for days haha sorry using speech to text

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
Have you considered 245/60R18? Proven to fit and a tad taller.

On the springs vs. spacers, I would urge against the springs. With the springs, you won't gain any down-travel, and the shock position at ride-height will be out of spec. It coulld make for a weird and uncomfortable driving dynamic.

The spacers are nice because you mostly preserve factory comfort and suspension dynamics, while also increasing down-travel (at the expense of up-travel, which is really OK with larger tires since they will rub if stuffed up too high into the body on compression).
Appreciate the insight!

Looked at 245/60 but limited all terrain brands in that size.

Thanks! Offset is +30 on those wheels, no spacers

Thanks! Offset is +30 on those wheels, no spacers
My bad. Didn’t look close enough and assumed those were mr502’s with +38mm. I’m sure I can find them but what model are those? Thanks for the response. Bobbyleechan mentioned if he were to install the 502’s he would add spacers on the rears, so just trying to sort out how much since I don’t have the wheels to measure.