Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not lifted yet, But here's my setup so far.
Falken Wild peak A/T Trail 235/60/18
Momo Etna 18x8.5 wheels

Thanks to @P3D-R for helping me get this setup.

View attachment 753594
View attachment 753595
Looks fantastic!
Can we maybe get a few more pictures of the car and maybe at slightly higher resolution/size?

Also, how's the handling? (ex, highway turn ramps) and range?

Lastly, any vibrations or other issues with the tires? all good?

Thank you!!

So we've got the UP Dirt and Snow Coilovers installed with Apex 18" wheels and a pretty aggressive Toyo Open Country AT staggered setup. 265/65 rear, 255/55 front. Tiny rubbing at wheel lock in front. I've got a pinch weld in the front wheel wells that is barely catching. Since it's a structural weld, I have been hesitant to "modify" it. The larger tire DID NOT fit up front!!! 255/55/18 seems to be the absolute largest that will fit up front.

Wheel size set back on 21 UBERTINE in setup. FSD Beta enabled. That seems to be fine, no issues. I haven't checked actual vs displayed speed yet. Range seems affected marginally. We took a 1200 mile road trip over the holidays and averaged a 10% loss on efficiency. I thought we'd balance out better because of the lighter wheels, but those tires are probably the issue. We also carried a hitch mounted stowaway so it was hard to attribute range loss to the tires and suspension.

Partial cross post below here, but I'm looking for someone else with the UP dirt and snow coilovers.

So... LOTS of squeaks and pings from the front suspension at low turning speeds. More so on the left than the right but def an issue on both sides. The squeak is coming from the front coils. When changing elevation while turning (steep driveway) I've got an occasional, single, loud but low pitched "ping". Also the rear is generally noisier/clunkier on rough bumps, but much smoother "feeling" than the stock setup. I attribute most of the comfort at this point to those luxurious sidewalls.

BTW, I'm currently in an email thread with UP but no answers yet. Every few days I get another email with more probing questions. I went to a local alignment shop and they did an alignment, but the noises remain. Then we drove 1200 miles to see if it would settle in. Squeeks remain. Brought back to local shop to double check and grease the suspension, but they were unable to get rid of the noises. Also for some reason, when the suspension was installed, I started getting the rear wheel hub clicking noise. We greased the axle splines and that's mostly gone away. Not sure if the new suspension angles exacerbated something there or not.

So far I'm not that happy but I'll keep updating. Looks good, performs well, but sounds terrible. My assumption is that the squeek, pings, and clunks will be figured out. The wife is not amused.

We got about 3.5 inches lift on the back, but I'd like to adjust up more. The rear suspension requires disassembly to adjust height though so a bit of a pain. The front is a ton of elbow grease to adjust but just requires wheels off.

The dampening is adjustable by hand.

With that much lift you don't have any issues with the length of the oem axles? Sad to hear about the UP coils. I have a couple sets and had clients move to an alternate setup for these exact reasons. They also got put through a cycle of questions. At the end of the day they spent more time and money than it was worth and ended up nipping it in the bud.

Reactions: TheeUnderdog
Thanks for that info! I'm surprised by the rubs, do you have any pics to show where that's contacting and what weld it's contacting?

Bummer on the UP suspension, and even worse that they're not responsive. From their website, it looks like the springs directly mount to the perch, so maybe that's where the noise is coming from (vs having a rubber/polyurethane interface)?

@EchoDelta, I think you're running the UP dirt and snows now per this thread, have you noticed a similar issue?

Agree with @gr8tdane24, this makes me want to just go with MPP lift, but I do have the Performance, so I'm starting an inch lower than you guys.

It would be great if @MountainPass offered a Dirt and Snow option as well!
I would install the MPP Comfort coilovers in conjunction with their lift kit. That should get you what you're looking for. I've gotten the MPP Coils to get to factory LR height actually. Add the lift kit and you can get 1.75" higher than the LR trim.

Looks fantastic!
Can we maybe get a few more pictures of the car and maybe at slightly higher resolution/size?

Also, how's the handling? (ex, highway turn ramps) and range?

Lastly, any vibrations or other issues with the tires? all good?

Thank you!!
APC_0006.jpg

This is all I got so far.

FYI. The MPP lift does not make room for larger tires in the front. The restriction is the upper knuckle thingy. I’m sure that’s the technical term for it.
Correct.
And probably worthwhile adding, the MPP comfort adjustable coilovers can be set for higher than stock ride height, without pushing the suspension to its height limits. So the lift kit is not mandatory if you want to sustain stock or even slightly higher ride height.

View attachment 753791

This is all I got so far.
*chef's kiss* looks perfect!
Would still love to know your range (rough estimate is fine) and what the traction is like.
Personally I would have gone with 255/55R18 since its only 0.1" less sidewall and not trading traction but if your setup *feels* solid enough you might even have a leg up on range (+ Its the same width for Model 3's OEM tires and the two cars are not that far apart).

Time to setup an Instagram account 😅

Correct.
And probably worthwhile adding, the MPP comfort adjustable coilovers can be set for higher than stock ride height, without pushing the suspension to its height limits. So the lift kit is not mandatory if you want to sustain stock or even slightly higher ride height.

*chef's kiss* looks perfect!
Would still love to know your range (rough estimate is fine) and what the traction is like.
Personally I would have gone with 255/55R18 since its only 0.1" less sidewall and not trading traction but if your setup *feels* solid enough you might even have a leg up on range (+ Its the same width for Model 3's OEM tires and the two cars are not that far apart).

Time to setup an Instagram account 😅
It feels pretty solid, haven't done a ton of testing but it doesn't seem to be limiting traction on launches. I will do some 0-60 testing at some point. The Model 3 Performance originally had 235 tires, granted they were performance summer tires, and had no issues with traction. With the tires at 40-45 psi it doesn't feel much different just driving around normally. Maybe Ill do a lap around Buttonwillow at my next track day with it and see how it does :p.

Reactions: Atraf
I got the MPP lift on a LR no camber arms and haven't even done the alignment it feels fine to me.. plan to get some 18s after I run the OEM tires out and switch over the tpms sensors.. will probably run 235/60/18 in winter and 245/55/18 summer

I wish 18s were a stock option

Last edited:
Reactions: Atraf
With that much lift you don't have any issues with the length of the oem axles? Sad to hear about the UP coils. I have a couple sets and had clients move to an alternate setup for these exact reasons. They also got put through a cycle of questions. At the end of the day they spent more time and money than it was worth and ended up nipping it in the bud.
I'm not going to say there are zero issues yet. We've not seen any performance issues. No noticeable roll, etc.

We're looking for a shop in Orlando if anyone knows of one familiar with UP suspension setups. My preference is to figure this out. We like the look and the gravel mountain road functionality.

IMG_20211214_170733.jpg
IMG_20211214_170614.jpg
IMG_20211214_170658.jpg

Here's the current look

I'm not going to say there are zero issues yet. We've not seen any performance issues. No noticeable roll, etc.

We're looking for a shop in Orlando if anyone knows of one familiar with UP suspension setups. My preference is to figure this out. We like the look and the gravel mountain road functionality.

View attachment 754328View attachment 754329View attachment 754330
We've also been able to lift the back 2" since this photo. The top gap is about the same now as the front.

Reactions: P3D-R and Atraf
Tires and wheels mounted today! They did have to put a ton of weights on some of the wheels, and there was some slight interference between the inboard weights and the e-brake solenoid that we had to reposition.

Method 502s on Toyo Open Country A/T III on a stock Model Y Performance (no lift... yet).
Lookin' good! FWIW they had to use a bunch of weights on my Falkens as well, so you're not the only one. My Method 502's/Falkens are silky smooth at all speeds with no vibrations - how does your MYP with those Toyo's ride?

Also, if you haven't already, put some blue Loctite on your center cap screws.

Reactions: BobbyLeeChan