Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Lighted Rear Applique for the Model X -- wiring completed today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still need to get my crap together and do a write up on the S applique for Teslarati after having my applique for more than a year now (slacker!). It is kind of unfortunate that I have one of the early prototype aluminum billet that had less of the clips than the current version, I had to tweak the ends a bit to get it to sit correct on the taillights and it looks like the aluminum needs to be polished and waxed.
but I get soooo many comments on it daily at work. have is set on a night rider scroll with purple/blue for parking and light blue for reverse.
really slick idea and product!

any chance there will be an app update or anyone that is changing/writing codes for these? I have had a couple of other lighting ideas that might be neat in addition to the sideways scroll and disco. vertical scroll, one directional scroll, a solid color that slowly changes through the entire range of colors, similar to the rather common led lighting strips that have this feature

any chance there will be an app update or anyone that is changing/writing codes for these? I have had a couple of other lighting ideas that might be neat in addition to the sideways scroll and disco. vertical scroll, one directional scroll, a solid color that slowly changes through the entire range of colors, similar to the rather common led lighting strips that have this feature

The current mobile app does everything that the firmware allows. In order to do more fancy stuff, the Arduino firmware needs to be updated to support any new effects.

It is possible to download the code from the Arduino and modify it to support more effects, if you can do that sort of thing. Jurgen (@WATTS-UP) is working with some guys from Drexel who are hopefully going to do just that. Unfortunately the person who wrote the original code is not available to make any changes. We either have to modify the code that already exists, or write new firmware.

When the firmware is updated, I can update the mobile app to access those features.

Last edited:
I have a couple of people working on more features for the appliqué. Unless someone is will to send some big bucks it's going to take some time. Currently I'm working on resolving some very old problems like, getting a reliable source for the controllers and light boards. Hopefully by the end of this summer that part will have been resolved. From the time of order to delivery sometimes has it has taken month. For a change the standard Model "X" chrome appliqué is now in stock, and can be shipped the same week. The color matched appliqué is still causing some problems. To many times it's two steps forward and one step back.

Because we now have a Gen II and Gen III along with face lift "S" and model "X". This has made shipping the right appliqué interesting. When ordering you now have to state the type of appliqué you want. To the Model "S" Tesla has added the Model "X"
You would think that the letter spacing would be the same for both models ( you would be wrong). The appliqués are different with lager letters and yes that means a different light board. And, yes the face lift model "S" is not an exact match with the model "X" so the model "S" now has three light boards instead of just one.

I'm just happy that 95% of all owners purchasing an appliqué are willing to cut us a break and work with us when problems occur.

Absolutely BEST MOD YET for a Tesla, (of course after the VERY BEST MOD YET, the front mounted rear camera kit.
Get your today before they are all gone (and cease to be). Remember this mod is reversible in case you upgrade to an new S or X.

IMG_0888.JPG

Getting real close to having a workable front "T" for the model "X" Waiting for the light boards to arrive.Jason you have the first,
Tony your is the second. Two types of backgrounds will be available to start, Clear and White, after some testing and response from people who have purchased one I may restrict the front emblem to either clear or white.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Reactions: Akikiki
I understand your confusion and frustration. Let me help a little bit. But first, I was a participant/bought one, I am not involved other than promoting or bragging about it.

The evappliques.com site is now ev-acc.com Check it out.

What I was bragging about is the front mounted rear camera. If you look under Products Coming Soon, you can help by making a reservation to indicate you want one too. This idea was the brainchild of artsci, so was the lighted T and Lighted Rear Applique and dozens of other mods. Artsci is a Model S Mod Genius. Look for his thread that nothing but a running list of his mods to his car. Its an all day read itself. Back to the front cam kit. Those first Model S did not have parking sensors. May of us were breaking parts or tearing stuff off our cars when we pulled to close to curbs. Artsci started looking for a way to stop the problem. It was not good enough to simply put a camera and another screen in the car. He demanded from himself that it integrate into the center console. It took more than a year and during that time others joined his project and they created the very best mod we can do to the car.

Its a rearview/backup camera mounted on the front of the Model S (both classic and refreshed) so you can see where the front of your car is as you pull forward, not just to a curb, but also in your garage or a wall or even in traffic to another car. The best part is you see it on your center console AND you don't give up access to your backup camera/view when you need it. The solution even included it automatically swapped the view from the front to the rear when you put the car in reverse. And when you put it back in park or drive, it moved back to the front camera. You weren't stuck with having to leave the front cam or rear cam on the center console all the time either. Want some other screen up, do it.

Back when artsci started working on this, there were only about 3-4000 Model S in existence. By the time it was ready/done for installation there were about 22,000. But only 100 of the printed circuit board switch were in the first production run. These are not Tesla items. If you were not part of the first 100, you were out of luck. I would guess than 50% of those first 100 have been resold and resold on ebay and panjo over the last few years. I've had a couple. I moved mine from my '13 classic to my '17 refresh and its still the best mod e-v-e-r, and I have several mods on mine as well.

If enough people sign up for a reservation, you might be lucky enough to get the switch. Its the hardest component of the kit to collect. You folks have the easy part. All you have to do is put your name on the list and pay for it when its got all the items done and tested. Artsci won't release a product unless its right - it works. So think about it. I could be wrong, but it looks like the "team" is working on the Model X and Model S Lighted Rear Applique and Model X lighted T right now. I hope for each of you that he wraps up work on those and gets back to the front cam kit switch. There's my two cents on the subject.

If enough people sign up for a reservation, you might be lucky enough to get the switch. Its the hardest component of the kit to collect. You folks have the easy part.
I just reviewed the install instructions, looks too complicated for my liking.
I wonder if a cheap usb/wifi cam could be repurposed for this instead (or something else that does not involve taking apart half the console).
Obviously would need a hack on the actual console software so also not for everybody.

Reactions: FlyF4
The instructions are very detailed, and your implication that it requires "taking apart half the console" is way way exaggerated.

Having done this install a few times already, I could probably do it again in 20 minutes assuming I pre-made an OBDII port power supply adapter. Even so, the benefit this mod provides is simply immeasurable.

Any other USB/wifi cam would still need to tap into the rear camera feed and reverse line trigger to accomplish the same seamless result. When we say this is the best mod ever, it really is. And installation is not as hard as it may appear.

Well, that's my first impression on the complexity level.
As for plugging into backup camera - that's only if you want to reuse existing UI. If you manage to hack the cid software and add your own applet, you can have another camera display, can even have them side by side. And the source for that camera could be pretty much anything too.

BTW the camera is a far cry from $600 or so claimed to cost at Tesla (just old data?).
Get yours for $40 while you can ;) Amazon.com: Tesla 1006773-00-F Rear-View Camera & Harness: Home Audio & Theater

Hm, I see this same thing goes for $300 on ebay. Price mistake? I better buy two ;)

Last edited:
The original rear camera was never $600, it was $300 and the switch was $300, so $600 total, plus some cables.

Tesla recently replaced the original rear camera with a higher-resolution version for about $80. The one on Amazon looks to be this newer model.

But obviously you have your mind made up. Good luck hacking the CID/MCU to add your own applet and integrate your own camera feed. Be sure to let us know when you've done that. That sure seems a lot harder to do (with serious warranty implications) than installing a simple electronic switch which is really no harder than installing a dashcam, and completely reversible.