Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first service and I received a loaner MS. I am happy that I received a Tesla, unlike others that had to receive another brand of car via rental. However, being a new MS driver with AWD, my loaner has much to be desired. I don't feel that the dealer should give an auto pilot driver an older car without prior notice. My AutoPilot MS was the first Tesla that I owned so stepping into a rental without autopilot kind of confused me some at first. In addition, the loaner was rear wheel drive only, much different driving in the winter with snow/ice on the road. I will say, instead of trying to show me something nicer so I would look at moving up. The loaner showed me that I would have never bought a Tesla in the past. To me, the seats feel completely different and uncomfortable, and I can't get over the whine of the electric motor which doesn't exist in the current AWD models.

True. It would be ideal if a loaner should be better than the one an owner is driving because the owner might like it so much and would keep the loaner!

That was the idea. It just hasn't worked out that way.

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

--
The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinLow
My first service and I received a loaner MS. I am happy that I received a Tesla, unlike others that had to receive another brand of car via rental. However, being a new MS driver with AWD, my loaner has much to be desired. I don't feel that the dealer should give an auto pilot driver an older car without prior notice. My AutoPilot MS was the first Tesla that I owned so stepping into a rental without autopilot kind of confused me some at first. In addition, the loaner was rear wheel drive only, much different driving in the winter with snow/ice on the road. I will say, instead of trying to show me something nicer so I would look at moving up. The loaner showed me that I would have never bought a Tesla in the past. To me, the seats feel completely different and uncomfortable, and I can't get over the whine of the electric motor which doesn't exist in the current AWD models.

You're now on the list to get a car through Enterprise on your next service visit. Congrats!

Gosh, I think my new 90D with a motor in front whines a lot more than my former 2012 S85. Pop open the frunk on the loaner and see what you are missing out on in terms of storage in the new car. I have always enjoyed the driving feel of rear wheel drive, but I do not drive in snow in California. My 2012 model S was a great car, but the new 90D is a greater car that would not have happened without the early model S. The main difference is just bells and whistles, they are basically the same. One of the problems with the loaners is that they do not keep them clean which detracts from the experience. Oh and by the way, Tesla does not have dealers.

Let's put things in perspective here...I ended up with a Chrysler 300 for a week when I had to drop off my one-week old P90DL so that they could adress issues I had flagged at delivery. I voiced my displeasure on the spot to no avail.

Let's just say that the survey they sent afterwards provided them with a lot of "constructive" feedback.

Reactions: FlyinLow
If you like the service loaner more than your other car,
we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner.

This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed
and gives customers the best optionality.

"This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed..."

- Will the new loaner be then replaced by the older customer car or by another new car?

Funny, my last loaner I requested the best car they had. I went from my 70 to a P85D+ loaner. I honestly can't say I would trade, especially for the price difference. Smaller frunk, more motor noise, and I guess I just don't appreciate difference in performance for my daily drive.

The Milford CT loaner fleet is made up of trade-ins getting "aged" before going into CPO inventory. I've been told they keep them until about 40k miles.

Whenever I have a service appt I jokingly ask if I can get ludacris or even something with autopilot that could push me to upgrade but no avail. I've been told that every time they get a "cool" new car for the loaner fleet it is pulled before they can use it bc it was sold and needs to be shipped somewhere.

No complaints though having another S while mine is being taken care.

For CT it is likely because our fine state doesn't allow Tesla to sell the cars so they don't have the sales fleet like NY would have.

b574f2eb725709460d7ec79a084ab189.jpg

"This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed..."

- Will the new loaner be then replaced by the older customer car or by another new car?

That's a moot point, as most of what was in the blog post with respect to "better cars" isn't happening.

This is not a huge complaint, but I have never--not once--had a loaner that came anywhere close to matching my P85D. I don't think I've ever even had a loaner with autopilot, or with the same stalk configuration as my car. They've all been THAT old. But at least they've also all been Tesla Model Ss.

Here's my loaner experience thus far, not good at all

Car delivered 12.13.16 in Costa Mesa, then back to service center 1.5.17 for some door and paint issues
They said they would need the car for 2+ weeks
That was fine, and hoping for a Tesla loaner
That didn't happen, and that was fine, we got a Mercedes 300.
- After getting home and upon restarting the car, a service light comes on, 900 miles past due for a "Level A" service. That was OK but then car started acting up when you came to a stop, either an engine or transmission issue? There was something noticeably wrong
- Back to Tesla for new loaner, this time a Volvo 60, seemed like nice car. But on drive home the tire pressure light comes on, and then we start noticing ants in the car. Probably killed 50 of them. We were too close to home in very busy traffic to return. Also found the glove box had 2 filthy dirty cups, plus 4 previous rental contracts in it
- Got home and called Tesla, I was not happy at all,. They sent a car to our home that night. Their driver was amazed when I showed him crawling ants all over.
- We now have a Kia Optima. It's been fine..

Last edited:
Here's my loaner experience thus far, not good at all

Car delivered 12.13.16 in Costa Mesa, then back to service center 1.5.17 for some door and paint issues
They said they would need the car for 2+ weeks
That was fine, and hoping for a Tesla loaner
That didn't happen, and that was fine, we got a Mercedes 300.
- After getting home and upon restarting the car, a service light comes on, 900 miles past due for a "Level A" service. That was OK but then car started acting up when you came to a stop, either an engine or transmission issue? There was something noticeably wrong
- Back to Tesla for new loaner, this time a Volvo 60, seemed like nice car. But on drive home the tire pressure light comes on, and then we start noticing ants in the car. Probably killed 50 of them. We were too close to home in very busy traffic to return. Also found the glove box had 2 filthy dirty cups, plus 4 previous rental contracts in it
- Got home and called Tesla, I was not happy at all,. They sent a car to our home that night. Their driver was amazed when I showed him crawling ants all over.
- We now have a Kia Optima. It's been fine..

I would be furious.

This is what you have to complain about? Don't make such a big deal out of such a little thing. Its temporary, not a permanent replacement. Here's let me help you, as my mom would say. Get happy right now. :)

Anyone has good or bad experience with the service center in Burbank, CA? Just picked up my car in late Dec and I am planning to schedule my 1st service ahead of time so I can request for a loaner. Any other suggestion where I can avoid an Enterprise rental?

I only have one experience so far, but when I was booked for my first service at Burbank, I did get a Model S loaner. Booked the appointment about 1 month in advance.

Have had no issues with our loaner Cars. We may have not always gotten a S or an X but were fine with it, although our recent loaner for our P100D was a 16' Nissan Maxima Platinum but we were still happy with it. And it had ACC so really traffic wasn't that big of an issue for us we just had to hold the steering wheel!:D

This might have been asked in another thread, but...

Is there a way to add the real-time traffic overlay to the navigation maps on a loaner? I can't remember if that was a setting I had to enable on my car, or if it did it automatically. I was a bit surprised when I pulled off the lot and noticed there was no traffic info shown. I was more surprised when I got far enough away from the SC that it dropped the internet connection all together. I tethered the car to my phone's hotspot so at least I have that going for me.