Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In San Diego, have taken my Model X in 4 times, never gotten a loaner. Hyundai, Infiniti, two times I had them pay for uber round trip (just went back to a really old car). Definitely a downer to not get a loaner, the only silver lining is it let me test a luxury ICE SUV and that made me very happy I chose Tesla instead.

McLean, VA SC has only a few Tesla loaners, practically impossible to get them. They said, allocation will improve but no specific timeframe is provided. In the past, they allowed customers to schedule later service appointments with guaranteed Tesla loaner reservation, but even that was stopped.

They give out midrange Enterprise rental cars as loaners..perhaps as "shock therapy."

This is BS. Tesla need to up their loaner game. If I had an Audi, I would not take a Hyundai loaner.

Sorry, but I agree to disagree...per what I said in an earlier post in this thread. Please tell me why my perspective on this is not valid

I don't think it's fair to expect or compare Toyota/Lexus and/or even the German auto-makers who produce over 10M vehicles a year, to a Tesla, who barely can churn out 100K in a year. Tesla cannot just produce 25-50 extra loaner cars for each Service Center just yet for customers who need them...the production numbers don't add up to being at that level yet. It's "Musk-vision" that one day that they will loan you a Tesla better than the one you own, but that could be 1 year from now or 5 years from now...hard to say. Those that are upset by getting an ICE car as a loaner need to remind themselves that you signed up to buy a luxury car from a small niche, electric car maker that is still in it's infancy/start-up phase and probably will be in that phase for the next 5-10 years. This is not a company that has been producing cars since World War II...

...I don't think it's fair to expect or compare Toyota/Lexus and/or even the German auto-makers who produce over 10M vehicles a year, to a Tesla, who barely can churn out 100K in a year. Tesla cannot just produce 25-50 extra loaner cars for each Service Center just yet for customers who need them...
i can agree with this...

my last car was a Lexus, and they had 100 or so loaner cars that are leased to their service department which is apparently run as a separate company so they get fleet rates. they lease them for 6 months and dump them on the used lot and get 100 more cars. pretty cool...

on the flip side though, the average price for a tesla is closer to $100K whereas Lexus is closer to $50K so that's why there's an expectation.

we've also been told that Tesla's are super low maintenance...so if they actually were then we wouldn't be having this conversation, but once production increases and and bugs are ironed out it will be sooo much better. the Model S is proof of this as the most recent ones I've driven have superb quality compared to early cars, and the 50K serial number MX i drove is significantly better put together than my 6K serial number MX.

Last edited:
Agreed, for a $100k car, the loaner doesn't have to be a Tesla but it can't be a Hyundai. Unless there is a $100k Hyundai that I don't kn9w about.

What if my $100k car needs to be serviced for months? Is anyone here willing to drive a Hyundai for a month? Why is it ok for a day?

Yup. Last time Dublin gave me a Hyundai for 2.5 weeks.
Agreed. I see more ICE loaners than Tesla loaners in Dublin.

I don't see California residents being spoiled with S/X loaners. If anything, the number of customers in California makes it more likely that you'll get an ICE. More cars means more service center visits. If there are two cars in for service at a Midwest location, they can probably find an S or X. When you have 40 cars in for service at the same time, it becomes a challenge.

With respect to the CPO fleet, it is probably cheaper to pay for a long term rental (plus gas) than to put a bunch of miles on cars that you're trying to sell.

What I was told was by the rep at SC is Tesla took all of their old S/X loaners and was suppose to replace them with brand new S/X but that never happen and when ever they did have one it would get sold...

at least you can putt around in a $170K car in the meantime... :D

Yeah everybody says that, ha ha, but

a) it's kind of unsettling driving such an expensive car all over the place. My insurance company would blow a fuse if anything were to happen to this Rolls Royce of an SUV.

b) the TPMS keeps yelling at me. Been to Discount Tire 3X so far. Once to check on a low pressure situation, again when I noticed what was causing the low pressure situation (a screw had punctured the tire; they fixed tire and sent me on my way), and today, a third time, when the TPMS started yelling again, saying the three OTHER tires were low. The final consensus was, today's the first cold day here, and the TPMS is fooled by the low temps. So they overinflated all four tires and sent me on my way.

c) the driver's side door has been getting more and more glitchy; not opening upon approach, not closing when I press the brake pedal. So I disabled auto-open, and now it is cranky about even manually opening at all; I have to press the door handle like 3-4 times and wait for it to be in the mood to open. And geez, the door is "heavy", like the way in steering is in an ICE car when power steering is malfunctioning.

d) the falcon wing doors occasionally open on their own, with no trigger (thankfully when parked, not when driving, but still)

e) the cruise control is so timid and partially blind... suddenly breaking because it can't "see" the road ahead of it, especially when there is the slightest curve in the road. Plus the latency: if a car in another lane does something weird, even momentarily and then corrects itself, the X will take 1-2sec before it acts, usually long after the other car is back to normal in its lane, and the X acts in only one way: sudden heavy deceleration. Drivers behind me are prolly thinking "oh there goes one of those Tesla drivers again, constantly brake-checking me"...

f) this thing uses ELECTRONS like you would not believe. P100DL, for sure, but geez. I average 500-550Wh/mi (always with range mode ON) just putting around town on 25-45mph streets. My S was more like 280-320Wh/mi.

I miss my S.

Last edited:
Yeah everybody says that, ha ha, but

a) it's kind of unsettling driving such an expensive car all over the place. My insurance company would blow a fuse if anything were to happen to this Rolls Royce of an SUV.

b) the TPMS keeps yelling at me. Been to Discount Tire 3X so far. Once to check on a low pressure situation, again when I noticed what was causing the low pressure situation (a screw had punctured the tire; they fixed tire and sent me on my way), and today, a third time, when the TPMS started yelling again, saying the three OTHER tires were low. The final consensus was, today's the first cold day here, and the TPMS is fooled by the low temps. So they overinflated all four tires and sent me on my way.

c) the driver's side door has been getting more and more glitchy; not opening upon approach, not closing when I press the brake pedal. So I disabled auto-open, and now it is cranky about even manually opening at all; I have to press the door handle like 3-4 times and wait for it to be in the mood to open. And geez, the door is "heavy", like the way in steering is in an ICE car when power steering is malfunctioning.

d) the falcon wing doors occasionally open on their own, with no trigger (thankfully when parked, not when driving, but still)

e) the cruise control is so timid and partially blind... suddenly breaking because it can't "see" the road ahead of it, especially when there is the slightest curve in the road. Plus the latency: if a car in another lane does something weird, even momentarily and then corrects itself, the X will take 1-2sec before it acts, usually long after the other car is back to normal in its lane, and the X acts in only one way: sudden heavy deceleration. Drivers behind me are prolly thinking "oh there goes one of those Tesla drivers again, constantly brake-checking me"...

f) this thing uses ELECTRONS like you would not believe. P100DL, for sure, but geez. I average 500-550Wh/mi (always with range mode ON) just putting around town on 25-45mph streets. My S was more like 280-320Wh/mi.

I miss my S.

for points A-D, you my friend are driving a lemon. lol

point E, AP2.0...nuff said

Point F, wow sounds high even with 22's...i'm in the mid 400's (P90D i know, but shouldn't matter under normal driving)

for points A-D, you my friend are driving a lemon. lol

point E, AP2.0...nuff said

Point F, wow sounds high even with 22's...i'm in the mid 400's (P90D i know, but shouldn't matter under normal driving)
I'm in an AP1 X P90D loaner. I'm averaging about 400Wh/mile with 22" tires. It's still high compared to my X90D with 20" tires (which I averaged ~340Wh/mi). It DEFINITELY has less range than our 90D. I'm so glad we bought a 90D instead of P90D (we need the range, not performance)

It’s end of quarter. Tesla is selling their loaners.

But please try not to be so entitled. Loaners are a benefit not a right. I’m amazed that such a new company even had loaners. Tesla still has a negative cash flow rate.

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

I had warranty fixes on my Model X 3 times in the past year and I only had the Model X barely a year.

If the message to owners, who paid $100k for the car, is that you could out of use with your Tesla at random time s due to mfg or design flaws by Tesla but Tesla will not guarantee an equivalent driving experience while you're inconvenienced, it could be class action lawsuit.

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

I had warranty fixes on my Model X 3 times in the past year and I only had the Model X barely a year.

If the message to owners, who paid $100k for the car, is that you could out of use with your Tesla at random time s due to mfg or design flaws by Tesla but Tesla will not guarantee an equivalent driving experience while you're inconvenienced, it could be class action lawsuit.

How is my statement ignorant? I would argue it's based on knowledge, not lack thereof.

Tesla is still a relatively new company, I'm not sure it's fair to compare them to companies who have giant cash hoards at their disposal. They're essentially a startup and by being early adopters we as owners are burdening that risk of a new company. Sure the price tag is high but that doesn't mean these issues can't happen. There is an investor tax to buying from a new company who hasn't yet reached full profitability.

I'm also not giving Tesla a full pass on this. They should own up to their issues and resolve them. However, I'd rather they spend their precious resources on fixing manufacturing and process defects than giving out P100D loaners to people.

Tesla will not guarantee an equivalent driving experience while you're inconvenienced, it could be class action lawsuit

That suit would have no grounds. Companies are not required to give you a loaner vehicle yet alone another Tesla. Regardless of the sales price of the car.