Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loaners to appease lemons sounds like a decent strategy. I am just stating the fact that I asked specifically prior to purchase and was told “No, we do not guarantee service loaners.” I said my old car came with such a guarantee and they shrugged. Take it or leave it, they don’t care, they sell every car they can make.

Although since you’ve called me prey, I feel it important to state that loaner or not, if I’ve got a lemon I am not keeping it. Driving my own car is what I paid for, not service loaners of arbitrary configurations.

YMMV, but I always try to schedule service with a Tesla loaner.

I've had a few ice rentals with Tesla before, but I refuse to do that anymore. I've only had a few minor warranty work visits, so I can afford to wait for a Tesla loaner.

My issues are minor as well.

I've rescheduled 4 times at this point. I live 3 hours away. I do not mind rescheduling, but this is getting excessive.

How is my statement ignorant? I would argue it's based on knowledge, not lack thereof.

Tesla is still a relatively new company, I'm not sure it's fair to compare them to companies who have giant cash hoards at their disposal. They're essentially a startup and by being early adopters we as owners are burdening that risk of a new company. Sure the price tag is high but that doesn't mean these issues can't happen. There is an investor tax to buying from a new company who hasn't yet reached full profitability.

I'm also not giving Tesla a full pass on this. They should own up to their issues and resolve them. However, I'd rather they spend their precious resources on fixing manufacturing and process defects than giving out P100D loaners to people.

That suit would have no grounds. Companies are not required to give you a loaner vehicle yet alone another Tesla. Regardless of the sales price of the car.

True, the company is only 14 years old. Still in startup mode, right? We should give them a break until about age 40.

Tesla is definitely not acting like a traditional car dealership/car manufacturer (which has its pros and cons).

Cons: They are pumping out cars with issues that need to be addressed after delivery. In a way, I think they are just gambling that the purchaser doesn't find the issues, evidenced by their poorly lit delivery centers and making you pay for the car before even getting to inspect or test drive it.

Pros: Their service is backed by the factory. If you find legitimate issues, they have a big incentive to get it fixed since there is nobody else to blame it on. With traditional car dealerships, the manufacturer usually blames any issues on the independent dealership and washes their hands clean. I've experienced this with both Toyota and Porsche.

I just brought my X in for service and received an Infiniti Q50 2.0t loaner. They didn't have any Teslas available.

True, the company is only 14 years old. Still in startup mode, right? We should give them a break until about age 40.
I definitely see your point, and on the surface it would seem that Tesla shouldn't be considered a startup. However, consider these points:
  • The last successful car company started around 1925 (Chrysler) that's 90+ years older than Tesla.
  • Tesla's first complete vehicle (Model-S) started shipping in 2012 (only 5 years ago)
  • Tesla's 2nd complete vehicle (Model-X) was released only 2 years ago
Tesla is still designing solutions from scratch and innovating like crazy. That kind of rapid change goes against reliability and stability. If you want reliability, don't buy a Tesla model that is less than 3 years old.

As far as I'm concerned, Tesla is practically 5 years old (since they started shipping the Model-S) and in automotive time-lines, that's still considered the "start-up" period.

I definitely see your point, and on the surface it would seem that Tesla shouldn't be considered a startup. However, consider these points:
  • The last successful car company started around 1925 (Chrysler) that's 90+ years older than Tesla.
  • Tesla's first complete vehicle (Model-S) started shipping in 2012 (only 5 years ago)
Tesla is still designing solutions from scratch and innovating like crazy. That kind of rapid change goes against reliability and stability. If you want reliability, don't buy a Tesla model that is less than 3 years old.

As far as I'm concerned, Tesla is practically 5 years old (since they started shipping the Model-S) and in automotive time-lines, that's still considered the "start-up" period.

I'd like to add...

They don't do theirselves much of a service in treating the product like a development platform. It polarizes the customer base. On the one hand, the innovation speed would satisfy ANYONE looking at it from the perspective that its a car. On the other hand, many of the arguments and frustration treat it as a platform....which if you take away 95% of the complaints disappear.

Its a tough place to be. For them to solve it, they would need to roll back on all of their promises and ways to market and start acting like a car company - in essence creating zero innovation in between model years (yes model years, not calendar years). Deliver on what is promised in that year and if you want the new innovation, feel free to trade your car in, or perhaps pay for an upgrade; however, 99% of car companies today won't do this even if it is possible. It would make them "safe", but non-disruptive...the industry would love it if they did this, but it would kill the brand and TMC would be reduced to about 12 users reminiscing about days gone by.

Ill take the Tesla status quo all day long when compared to any roll back to industry standards. I knew exactly what I was getting into buying the 2 Tesla's I have owned....what other product can anyone reference that at zero additional cost becomes more feature rich during ownership? There isn't another car on the planet that does this, but the one that does we beat up for not doing it on a timeline or schedule we deem worthy.

I get the minor frustration, but calls for litigation and returns of the car...just seems WAY over the top.

• Love
Reactions: FarmerDave

The issue of customer cars sitting at service lots for weeks or months has to stop. It would be a disaster for this to happen
with the Model 3s. The owners of $40k cars will be much less forgiving than buyers of $90k autos.
When do the excuses stop? Don't put a vehicle on the road that you cannot repair in a reasonable timeframe.

The issue of customer cars sitting at service lots for weeks or months has to stop. It would be a disaster for this to happen
with the Model 3s. The owners of $40k cars will be much less forgiving than buyers of $90k autos.
When do the excuses stop? Don't put a vehicle on the road that you cannot repair in a reasonable timeframe.
The Model-3 is a completely different beast. It's on a new platform and designed to be a high-volume line. It's still too early to know if it will be plagued by the same service/parts delays seen for Model S & X. However, since it's a high-volume line, I would expect parts to be much more available. We won't know until the line is ramped up, probably sometime mid-2018.

The Model-3 is a completely different beast. It's on a new platform and designed to be a high-volume line. It's still too early to know if it will be plagued by the same service/parts delays seen for Model S & X. However, since it's a high-volume line, I would expect parts to be much more available. We won't know until the line is ramped up, probably sometime mid-2018.

Doesn't need to be a plague. Even if it is just a runny nose, that could be a significant problem.
Lets say someone in a model 3 gets in an accident and the rear door/rear panel and taillight are damaged.
This accident happens in March.
How long will that customer wait for repairs?
1 month? 3 months? 6 months?
If the answer is over a month, then there is something very wrong here.
Model 3 buyers will be less forgiving and do not want to hear that parts for their car are impossible to come by.

Did Tesla say something that leads you to believe that parts will be 'much more available'?

Doesn't need to be a plague. Even if it is just a runny nose, that could be a significant problem.
Lets say someone in a model 3 gets in an accident and the rear door/rear panel and taillight are damaged.
This accident happens in March.
How long will that customer wait for repairs?
1 month? 3 months? 6 months?
If the answer is over a month, then there is something very wrong here.
Model 3 buyers will be less forgiving and do not want to hear that parts for their car are impossible to come by.

Did Tesla say something that leads you to believe that parts will be 'much more available'?
I'm just a Tesla "enthusiast" and I have no internal knowledge of what is going on inside the company. However, the fact that Tesla plans to eventually ramp up to 500,000 units/year indicates to me that there will be a lot more parts available. Furthermore, since there are so few options with the Model-3, that should make parts even more readily available. Having excess parts will not go to waste, as they can use it on the assembly line or for repairs.

With the Model-X, there are many options/variations and furthermore there are many revisions for each option. A lot of times, they have to custom make a part for a particular vehicle, which takes a lot of time. For example, I once had to have my seat replaced. It was the ventilated black leather (which both no longer exists) with the old glossy seat-back for the original 6-seater design. I don't know how many versions they had for that particular seat, but it was greater than 1. It makes no sense to keep excess stock on my seat (or it's individual components) since it'll sit around a long time and potentially go to waste.

Reactions: FarmerDave

I am in no way saying we give them a pass. But not all market sectors are created equal. Creating a software startup is easier than other sectors. Automotive is very, very difficult to break into. You have to balance growth and value while competing with incumbent companies who have been around for decades.

How do you EVEN get a loaner at all!!!
I scheduled 2 appointments at the Centinela Service center (So Cal), only to show up there and be told "Sorry, we don't have any loaners available". When i specifically asked the person over the phone both times to guarantee that a loaner would be available.
Can somebody explain what the proper, "booking of a loaner", procedure is?

My X is in the SC again but this time the rep made sure they had a X for me. I think its because I've been in there ~5-6 times in 7 months of ownership we got to know each other better and they felt bad for me for going back so many times with the same problem so things are much better now with me getting a Tesla loaner. I did have to schedule this 2 weeks in advance.