Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked IN my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, had you just done a software update? My 12V failed just last week in the same way as you described (black screens, couldn’t get out except using the manual lever). Mine was in the middle of a software update when it happened.

As far as your child scenario, if it’s super hot outside, breaking a window would be your best bet I think, although I would try the trunk and all the doors first to make sure you can’t squeeze one last open first. Edit: when this happened on my car, the door I had opened didn’t roll up the window all the way once closed, so you could feasibly fish a coat hangar in to grab the manual release as well.

You can also have another ICE vehicle “jump” your Model 3 if you have jumper cables. It takes a few minutes for the system to come up, but it will eventually power on and you can open the doors. This also works with one of those portable jumper units, which is what I did when my 12V died. The manual tells you how to access the battery and pop the frunk from the tow eye port.

They are not.

I had updated a few days ago, nothing out of the ordinary. Just drove 16 miles into work without issues. Yea that’s how the wrecking company jumped it, problem is the battery jumper cable was in my frunk. Sorta defeated the purpose, but I was at work..

This all seems like a pretty big deal. I feel like tesla should address this somehow, ESP if pets/children are left in the car in this situation.

Other cars key can break or lock can jam (many cars now only have lock cylinders on one door). Many people don't even realize that there is a key in many of the modern fobs - so if the battery went dead they would also be stuck.

If they make it too easy to get in... well, everyone will get in.

A window isn't that expensive. I think just pick one that opens. Those small triangle windows in the back come with all the trim. Anyone have cost comparisons of all the glass in the car?

Last edited:
Other cars key can break or lock can jam (many cars now only have lock cylinders on one door). Many people don't even realize that there is a key in many of the modern fobs - so if the battery went dead they would also be stuck.

If they make it too easy to get in... well, everyone will get in.

A window isn't that expensive. I think just pick one that opens. Those small triangle windows in the back come with all the trim. Anyone have cost comparisons of all the glass in the car?

“A window isn't that expensive. I think just pick one that opens. Those small triangle windows in the back come with all the trim. Anyone have cost comparisons of all the glass in the car?”

Are u suggesting we smash the window? What if there’s a pet or baby in the car?

“A window isn't that expensive. I think just pick one that opens. Those small triangle windows in the back come with all the trim. Anyone have cost comparisons of all the glass in the car?”

Are u suggesting we smash the window? What if there’s a pet or baby in the car?

If someone cannot get into a car and there is reason (heat, fire, flooding, etc) to get in quickly, then yes, break a window. With a proper glsss punch or even a hit towards a corner glass doesn’t fly that far. If the windows are tinted it really holds together. Pick the side away from the baby.

If time is available, use a jumper cable.

One could probably wedge a window open enough to get a wire on the emergency release handle.

Babies or animals are released from cars by breaking windows when the car owner leaves them unattended.

When I first decided to buy a MY and started reading these forums I decided to print the manual and keep it in the car for a situation just like this.

Probably easier to use your phone and the internet to access the Manual. Go to Tesla's website and go to Support. In the search field search for "model 3 manual", the link brings up a .pdf. Clicking on a title in the Contents will take you to that section. You might also consider saving the .pdf to your phone so you don't have to go searching next time. I have an iPhone and have a pdf of it stored in Books. Or you can also add it to your Home Screen. Adding it Books for example means you will have it locally so you don't have to go out to retrieve it in case wifi or cellphone coverage isn't great. Whatever works best for you, but it is nice to have the Manual easily available when you are not in your car or if your screen isn't functional like in this case and you can't access it there.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Not being aware that Model 3’s have a manual door release can create a dangerous, if not deadly, situation. While it’s easy to tell everyone to read the manual, many just won’t. They should put a label on the release handles when the car is delivered that alerts people to what they are. And it should be covered during the delivery process.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte
You should buy one of those window breaking tools and keep it in your car. There's no other way out and it might save your life.
As whimpy as those frameless windows are, I don't think any tool is needed. Yes, I understand that when they are closed, they engage into the upper frame, but still whimpy. But sure, it never hurts to have such a tool I guess.

Reactions: KrenGrl
Today was weird. I went to sit in the car, I closed the drivers door to get going on my drive. The screen was all black, my steering wheel wasn’t moving, couldn’t even push the pedals. Tried hard reset, nothing happened. The windows wouldn’t open, the doors wouldn’t open. The drivers door wouldn’t open. I was locked IN my car. I panicked, didn’t know what to do. I snuck over the back door passenger door and somehow miraculously it opened. After I got out I tried and None of the windows would open, none of the other doors would open. I luckily got out, tried opening the doors from the outside and nothing would open. Called road side service and they said it was my 12V. They towed it to service center. No problems at all or warnings until this. What would happen if that passenger door didn’t open ? What would I do? Break a window?
Last time this happened to me I had to get into the back seat & upside-down deadlift my way out through the glass roof. It cost $5,000 to replace it but there was simply no other way.