Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked IN my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time this happened to me I had to get into the back seat & upside-down deadlift my way out through the glass roof. It cost $5,000 to replace it but there was simply no other way.

Thats nothing. I had to use my pocket knife to cut a hole in the dash to climb into the frunk tub and use the open button and climb out the frunk. The new dash and firewall was $9,000. Crazy.

Once out of warranty I think I will switch to the aftermarket 12V lithium battery so fewer worries (and a full replacement 4 year warranty).

My boss has had 2 batteries replaced in his model S, but in his case both times the car warned him and they were replaced under warranty.

But lead acid batteries can be so finicky with temperature changes and will die with little warning (and of course we can't depend on the slower cranking like on an ICE to know the battery is sick).

Today was weird. I went to sit in the car, I closed the drivers door to get going on my drive. The screen was all black, my steering wheel wasn’t moving, couldn’t even push the pedals. Tried hard reset, nothing happened. The windows wouldn’t open, the doors wouldn’t open. The drivers door wouldn’t open. I was locked IN my car. I panicked, didn’t know what to do. I snuck over the back door passenger door and somehow miraculously it opened. After I got out I tried and None of the windows would open, none of the other doors would open. I luckily got out, tried opening the doors from the outside and nothing would open. Called road side service and they said it was my 12V. They towed it to service center. No problems at all or warnings until this. What would happen if that passenger door didn’t open ? What would I do? Break a window?

Sorry to see this happened. The manual door release should work. Also to the other posters rating this as funny, it's really not. Let's be more kind.

Also I agree that there should be a 12 V battery low warning message. You can relay this suggestion to the service center or through the Tesla app.

Reactions: Mash and C141medic
Sorry to see this happened. The manual door release should work. Also to the other posters rating this as funny, it's really not. Let's be more kind.

Also I agree that there should be a 12 V battery low warning message. You can relay this suggestion to the service center or through the Tesla app.
Agree. Definitely not funny being trapped in the car and not realizing or knowing there’s a manual release for the front doors. It’s just ludicrous that there’s no such release for the rear doors as well. And if the battery is dead, how is one supposed to open the rear doors (without breaking windows) from the outside since the mechanism is electric and not mechanical (as I’ve found out in this thread)? Regarding the low 12V battery warning, I believe that’s in the works from an Elon tweet some months ago.

• Love
Reactions: TexanEV and X-pilot
Not ideal at all but another option would be to fold down the back seats and use the emergency latch to open the trunk.

Personally I would use the emergency manual release mentioned above in the driver or passenger doors.
After the door release that was my thought but if you could play some mission impossible music while making the crawl and then popping out of the trunk (hopefully not on the roadside just before rear-ended) very cool

Assuming you don’t take delivery during the end of the quarter or anything. Coworker just bought a 3 at the end of June and they just had him sign the papers then let him find his own car in the lot with the app and drive off. He said it was crazy.

On my last Model 3 I literally took possession on the last day of the quarter where the Tax Incentive fell away.

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael
Agree. Definitely not funny being trapped in the car and not realizing or knowing there’s a manual release for the front doors. It’s just ludicrous that there’s no such release for the rear doors as well. And if the battery is dead, how is one supposed to open the rear doors (without breaking windows) from the outside since the mechanism is electric and not mechanical (as I’ve found out in this thread)? Regarding the low 12V battery warning, I believe that’s in the works from an Elon tweet some months ago.

thanks for the helpful post. Hope the idiots who laughed at this get trapped outside their car and they leave their cell phone in the car and can’t call for service bc their doors won’t open. I was gonna say they leave their pets in the car and get locked out bc the battery fails, but that’s just mean on the pets.

hopefully Elon makes some changes.

Thats nothing. I had to use my pocket knife to cut a hole in the dash to climb into the frunk tub and use the open button and climb out the frunk. The new dash and firewall was $9,000. Crazy.

My only choice was to make a small thermite device using materials I always keep in the car. I melted through the passenger floor. Obviously this melted through the battery as well and created a crater deep enough for me to not only escape my car, but the inferno that was now raging in the Kroger parking lot.
Can you guys believe that Tesla denied my warranty claim, and even Kroger is mad at me now. Someone tweet Elon.

My only choice was to make a small thermite device using materials I always keep in the car. I melted through the passenger floor. Obviously this melted through the battery as well and created a crater deep enough for me to not only escape my car, but the inferno that was now raging in the Kroger parking lot.
Can you guys believe that Tesla denied my warranty claim, and even Kroger is mad at me now. Someone tweet Elon.

hope your cars doors don’t open

hope you have a 12V failure while your fat wife is sitting in the backseat and gets stuck in the back , she’s too fat to move to the front sit and then gets stuck between the two front seats trying to get to the front doors which the only ones with a manual lever. So then u actually have to use this thermite device

hope your cars doors don’t open

hope you have a 12V failure while your fat wife is sitting in the backseat and gets stuck in the back , she’s too fat to move to the front sit and then gets stuck between the two front seats trying to get to the front doors which the only ones with a manual lever. So then u actually have to use this thermite device

Jeez dude.

Reactions: Ferengii and Pkmmte