Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked Out Completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 2023 Y with 250 miles. Arrived to work and plugged into one of the class 2 chargers, green light confirmation like I had done every day for the past 2 weeks. Walked across campus and checked my app and the car wasn’t charging. Returned, green light off so replugged in, green light now on, left the area and app again didn’t show it was charging. Returned to the car and plugged into another charger…same result. So I had heard if you are having issues to reboot the car computer. Rebooted the Tesla computer. Looked ok. Green light on charger so I left, but again app showed not charging and only a few features were active. I deleted the app, downloaded again and signed in. It prompted me to pair my key card for some reason, so I did that. Back to my office and it isn’t charging and I’m unable to communicate with my car now. So I deleted and redownloaded the app a second time and returned to my car at lunch. Now the car wouldn’t open. My app said I needed to pair my key card again but I couldn’t get in and pair the card and the charging adapter was now stuck in the car port. Spoke to two different Tesla teams over an hour and they were unable to remote connect. Tow truck came and literally dragged my New car onto the tow platform. Off to the shop it went. No diagnosis yet. What gives??

Reactions: RISC601
I deleted the app, downloaded again and signed in.

Why did you decided to delete your phone App? Don't your App was previously working?
The car not connecting is a communication issue between your phone App and the Tesla Website or between the Tesla Webserver and your car.
Your phone App doesn't communicate directly with your car, except for some of the Bluetooth functions.

The green light next to the charger port just shows that the car is communicating with the charger, it can take time before the car starts to charge.

The only way to check if the car is starting charging is to look at the number of kilowatt on the top left of the car display screen.
At first you should see something like "0 kW" then you should see "7 kW" when the car really starts to charge, and a duration until reaching the limit set.

Last edited:
My MY sometimes asks to place the key card in the key card area even when I am inside the car using my phone key to re-confirm. Had that happened 3-4 times in past 2 months.
This used to happen quite a bit in the early days of Model 3, but rarely happens now. The fix was simply to turn Bluetooth off on your phone and then back on to allow reconnection to the car.

Not true, I've had SC even telling me to delete all and reinstall when i want able to see all features under climate to turn on the the seat heaters and steering wheel heater.
This is no different then when IT tells you to delete and reinstall apps... It's mostly pointless, especially with the Tesla app, because there is very little done client side, it's mostly server side. Most issues I've seen with the Tesla app, stems from hung connections to the server. Unless there is a server issue, you can usually resolve those by just killing the app, or by disabling your radios and re-enabling them... I've seen the wireless drivers hang a few times, which usually needs to have the phone be rebooted to resolve... But I've never needed to uninstall the Tesla app... I've seen other apps where on occasion, you need to force logout the app, and re-login, but you don't need to uninstall the app to do that.

Sounds like the 15v system shut off, potentially from the 15v battery getting too low. If that was the case, the car wouldn’t “turn on” and respond to the app nor the cards.

However, if you pop off the cap on the bumper, you can provide an alternative power source to get those systems up and then use the card or app.

This wouldn’t resolve the underlying problem though, but have let you get in the car.

However, if you pop off the cap on the bumper, you can provide an alternative power source to get those systems up and then use the card or app.

You could also try putting some scotch tape to a window and using it as a handle for leverage...

Opening window using tapes b.png Opening window using tapes c.png Opening window using tapes d.png