Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now the delivery timeline for a LR is Feb. Any chance if I put in an order they would try and make me take delivery before Feb? If so and I put it on hold is it likely that I could ride that hold out until the tax credit is passed?
If I were you, I’d wait a few more weeks than placing the order just to avoid any unnecessary worries.

It’s not a typo, you wrote June correct, not January? From what I read is that Tesla is contacting customers who have long hold times like 6 months to take delivery. You might want to call them and ask if you can get at least the delivery in January because of the potential EV credit

Correct. I never asked my SA for June. I just said early 2022 and he put the hold for June. I’ll give them a call.

My hold went off on November 30 and I already have a Vin They said they have to speak to a manager to see if I can delay delivery. Was told I had to take delivery or it would be canceled at first so we’ll see what happens

If I were you, I’d wait a few more weeks than placing the order just to avoid any unnecessary worries.

More worried about another price hike before then. I think the last one was early Nov so there's probably another one coming for 1K+ vs. risking losing a 250 deposit and potentially being further back in the line for feb/march/april delivery if this tax rebate gets signed into law overnight unexpectedly.

More worried about another price hike before then. I think the last one was early Nov so there's probably another one coming for 1K+ vs. risking losing a 250 deposit and potentially being further back in the line for feb/march/april delivery if this tax rebate gets signed into law overnight unexpectedly.
In that case I would just place your order now. Maybe even message them right when you order about placing a two week hold

I had to release my hold and then matched with a vin within a few days. I mentioned the agreement saying I had 30 days to accept delivery and the lady on the phone said she can submit a hold request but it might lead to an auto cancel. Not sure how to proceed here. Either keep calling or maybe mentioning I won’t be in town until next year? Lol 😅

Quite some hurdles to overcome, let's see what happens:

From Bloomberg:

Senate Democrats Face Deadline Pressure on ‘Build Back Better’ Bill​

Senate Democrats are expressing confidence they can pass President Joe Biden’s Build Back Better agenda before Christmas, but one key holdout -- Senator Joe Manchin -- said he’s skeptical he can vote for a bill that includes major economic changes.
Senator Tim Kaine said Democrats must pass the bill before Jan. 15, the date that the first monthly child tax credit payment of up to $300 per child would go out under the new bill. The last payment under current law will be distributed Dec. 15.

“We got to pass it sufficiently in advance of January 15 to make sure that families continue to get this child tax credit.” Kaine told reporters. “If you get too close to January 15 without an answer then there’s a delay or a risk of missing a month.”

I do not plan to extend my current hold beyond 1/1/2022 since I expect that my delivery after that will be most likely in February or March 2022 anyways.
Per my discussion with the Tesla rep on the phone, you don't get sent to "the back of line" once you release your hold. They fill older orders first.

My thought is you can always release the hold early in your Tesla account but it's hard to extend it after the fact.

Per my discussion with the Tesla rep on the phone, you don't get sent to "the back of line" once you release your hold. They fill older orders first.

My thought is you can always release the hold early in your Tesla account but it's hard to extend it after the fact.
That's what I'm noticing too, for folks that have had long holds. As soon as they click I'm Ready they're getting VIN's within 24-48 hours.

Reactions: Jeremy3292

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know. Are you extending your hold to March since you think the bill (if passed) will be effective on the passage date and not 1/1/2022?

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Thanks for the feedback, that's good to know. Are you extending your hold to March since you think the bill (if passed) will be effective on the passage date and not 1/1/2022?
No, I just personally think it will take a minor miracle for the bill to pass by Christmas so I just want to extend out my hold date to cover my bases. Also you can easily just click “I’m Ready” in your Tesla account should the bill pass sooner then your hold date.

Reactions: t.e.s.l.a_dude
Just got a message to schedule a pick up next weekend. What are my chances to delay until 2022 and/or should I?
I have been thinking way too much about it...
I think you should be able to put a hold until January 1.

I personally would do it since if the bill passes, it will most likely be effective for purchases after January 1.

Of course, there is also a likelihood that the bill will never pass or at a much later date and therefore a later effective date, so it is a gamble no matter what.

In my case, I put the hold until January 1 and I will take delivery afterwards regardless if the bill passes before New Year or not; i.e., I will not extend my hold beyond January 1.