Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking in a price in anticipation of the Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
Can anyone give me info on this, did Tesla honor EV tax credit and applied it towards leased vehicles in the past? Hoping new EV tax credit passes, will Tesla put that amount towards lease?
Pretty sure until 2023 all “credits” will be Tax refunds at the end of the year so shouldn’t have anything to do with lease vs finance

I am not the expert as I haven’t done so yet, but from what I have gathered you do keep your same price (as long as you don’t change any config). The bigger question to me is what happens to your place in the queue. I have read people getting completely conflicting answers on this from their SA’s.
i think if its after you get a VIN you get put to the front of the line, I had to place mine on hold after I received a VIN and the SA recommend the hold because if he just released the VIN it might just kick back me or id get another VIN before I was ready. they Immediately gave me a 30 day hold max but no idea if I could have pushed it out further.

Pretty sure until 2023 all “credits” will be Tax refunds at the end of the year so shouldn’t have anything to do with lease vs finance

These Tax credits go to the owner of the vehicle. In a lease, that owner is Tesla, so the person leasing gets nothing, unless the owner of the vehicle (tesla in this case) chooses to share that with them, either in part or all.

This OP is asking if Tesla plans on sharing tax credits (in the form of discounts on leasing) with people. The answer is " no one knows". They have absolutely zero incentive to, however. Manufacturers do this to help make leases cheaper, because a person leasing wont get any tax credits from the government. Tesla has zero incentive right now to "make the car cheaper".

In fact, they have raised pricing like 5 separate times, which will, in effect be ensuring that they get the tax credit themselves either way. Said another way, if the car is 7k more expensive now than it was 6 months ago, and then there is a tax credit for 7k, that means that the entity actually receiving more money is tesla, not the person holding out for a tax credit.

So, Op, no one knows, but expect that the car will be expensive enough to capture most of any tax credit people may get if they buy the car. Additionally, tesla has zero incentive to pass on any tax credits when leasing, currently, other than "the goodness of their heart". They might do something like make the interest rates lower, or raise the residual value, etc.. all of those are things that car manufacturers do to spur sales / pass on credits.

===========================

TL ; DR ... @Loco_Nomad , dont expect anything for waiting other than a more expensive car.

Reactions: Starzwell
Just because Tesla has recently raised prices doesn't mean they are planning ahead to capture tax credit. I believe that for the most part the price increases have been due to all the supply chain issues, more expensive transport, etc. Sure some is due to super high demand and low supply but I don't get the feeling they are playing the monopolist rubbing their hands together dreaming of more profit.

It's great the house has passed BBB however the big test will come in senate. Such a dog and pony show and it just makes me pissed when these officials are not thinking of *all* their constituents and trying to doing something positive. Ah well.

I too need to determine if it's worth trying to put my M3LR on hold. EDD right now is 11/25-12/9. I suppose it's prudent to try and put it on hold until '22 to try and capture a potential tax credit as 7.5-8k is too much to ignore. Value of our '18 M3LR with 26k on it won't drop that much in that time.

Reactions: t.e.s.l.a_dude
i think if its after you get a VIN you get put to the front of the line, I had to place mine on hold after I received a VIN and the SA recommend the hold because if he just released the VIN it might just kick back me or id get another VIN before I was ready. they Immediately gave me a 30 day hold max but no idea if I could have pushed it out further.
By then do you have to your financing ready etc? Meaning, does VIN get assigned AFTER financing is arranged?
And, any reason they would deny a hold after VIN is assigned?

(moderator note)

I realize that any discussion about tax credit ends up talking about policies, but with that being said...

If you find yourself typing "the liberals", "the conservatives", "the dems" the "republicans", or any such terms, that will be considered politics and will be removed. Also, the actual "policy" discussion is here:

THIS thread is supposed to be about how to lock in a price, etc. With that being said, I have let some policy discussion go in this thread, but will not let "politics" go. There are plenty of other places online to discuss that, no matter what side of whatever you are on.

By then do you have to your financing ready etc? Meaning, does VIN get assigned AFTER financing is arranged?
And, any reason they would deny a hold after VIN is assigned?
I was self financing so couldnt even do it till I had a VIN. I think the paper work states like others said, you can only hold for 30 days from the first time they assign you a VIN if you hold after getting a VIN.

I was self financing so couldnt even do it till I had a VIN. I think the paper work states like others said, you can only hold for 30 days from the first time they assign you a VIN if you hold after getting a VIN.
I got my VIN on 11/17 and put the order on hold next day until 1/3/22. I was assured I would still pay the the original price when I proceed with the order

There is a report on these boards somewhere (might be model Y subform though) of someone getting REALLY REALLY upset because they added or removed FSD and it reset their pricing. Note that the tesla online agreement states that any chance to configuration can trigger updated pricing.

So, anyone with locked in pricing from before these pricing changes, if I was in your shoes, I would change NOTHING. I would neither add, nor take away a single thing, nor change wheels, color, nothing.

Ill look for the thread, I remember it because I posted in it.

Edit: Found the thread I mentioned above....

Note that, in curiosity on that thread, I had looked up teslas order agreement, and put a link to it, along with the relevant section that specifically addresses changes to your order, in post 2 of that thread, linked here in case anyone interested wants to see what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: t.e.s.l.a_dude
Hi Everyone I ordered on 11/11 and have a EDD as 12/21- 12/31 ( Fremont,Ca). Since I also want to get the EV credit and since I have not yet received any notice don't know what to do. I also have not received a contact for a SA? When does that happen?