Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Commutes: Has autopilot helped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My commute is about 20 miles each way and AP has absolutely been a huge help for me. The highways are an obvious example of where as others have stated here, but I also use it in most stop-and-go situations. I would not want to go without something like it for my primary car from now on. There was one time where I was put in the AP penalty box (for failing to hold on to the steering wheels within the warning period) halfway through my commute, and it felt so weird and limiting that I didn't have AP available for the rest of the commute. It has surely made me pay extra attention whenever the warnings come on since then to avoid being put in the penalty box again!

I have also gone on a couple of extended road trips now where I thought AP really made a difference. I was tired in those trips and AP allowed me to pick my spots in terms of where I really needed to pay full attention and where I could relax just a bit. And the latter was just enough that it made the trips tolerable for me without feeling like I had compromised my own safety.

Reactions: Buddyroe
I commute about 130 miles a day. So autopilot has improved my morning and evening commute by 1000000000000000%... So as far as AP it get's a 9 out 10 from me, so my next Tesla WILL have every single piece of AP hardware available. It also make's it easier for me to stuff my face with food while im driving (but still paying attention)...:)

• Funny
Reactions: Yoona and Buddyroe
I guess I'll be the naysayer here and say that I rarely use AP on my 25 mile commute. I don't like how it deals with stop and go traffic, to jerky and it leaves to big a gap for me. If there isn't any traffic I'll use it sometimes but I can't say that it makes a big difference.

I guess I'll be the naysayer here and say that I rarely use AP on my 25 mile commute. I don't like how it deals with stop and go traffic, to jerky and it leaves to big a gap for me. If there isn't any traffic I'll use it sometimes but I can't say that it makes a big difference.

If you set the distance out further, it gets a lot less jerky. Of course, that also means bigger gaps which are more likely to attract impatient idiots. But at 4 or higher, they can generally merge safely without you having to intervene unless they are very dumb.

There's no way I'd do a long commute without AP after the last year. I use it probably half the time on my little ten mile/fifteen minute commute.

If you set the distance out further, it gets a lot less jerky. Of course, that also means bigger gaps which are more likely to attract impatient idiots. But at 4 or higher, they can generally merge safely without you having to intervene unless they are very dumb.

Agreed. AP has fundamentally changed the way I drive. I find a follow distance of 3 is about the perfect compromise in stop and go traffic that gets rid of a lot of the jerkiness and sudden braking.

Yeah, some people are going to change into your lane in front of you. If you're massively Type A and just can't have that because it means someone else is winning, then this approach is obviously not for you. With AP on I find I just don't care any more. The serenity of not white-knuckling it the whole way home and keeping my nose pressed into someone's bumper is well worth the "humiliation" of a few cars merging into my lane.

YMMV.

Everyone has pretty much said all the things I feel. We've only had the car 2 months, but boy does it grow on you fast. I absolutely cannot stand it when I have to take one of our old horse drawn buggies when my wife has the Tesla.

Also, AP is helping to make my marriage better. Almost every time we go on a trip, the drive back results in a huge fight because I get in a hurry to get back, drive too fast, cut through traffic at least once or twice, get pissed at some moron and want to kill him, and just basically drive crazy because I can't stand the boredom and restrictions that driving places on you. On our last trip, I set AP on 75, got in the middle of 3 lanes on I-95, and let the car do the work. Man, my wife was SO happy. And I was too. We chilled on the drive home. I could actually glance at her, glance at things as we passed, and get really comfortable in the seat. Yes, I still kept my eyes on the traffic, but I could glance at my phone when things were clear around me. Man, it was such a nice ride home.

So yes, I love AP. And, let's face it - if AP were a television, it would be a 19' black and white and the year would be 1950. Just wait til the 21" color TVs get here. You ain't seen nothing yet! Haha

Er, you can, but I'm sure none of us would advise it...

Actually, this is part of the value Autopilot had for me right now. Not the book reading, of course, and not planning to sleep.

But it does make me feel safer driving long hours. I wouldn't drive knowing I'll fall asleep, but if I did get drowsy, I'll fail a steering wheel check and the audible alert would get my attention, at which point I'll know I need to pull over.

Hasn't happened so far - between the reduction in workload from Autopilot and the breaks every couple hours from Supercharging I don't get as tired - but it makes me more confident driving long distances alone.

Let's put it this way: I took my current position knowing I could take the train in and there would be no way I would take a job in Boston otherwise....

however, I'd consider going back to driving again (just not all the way into Boston), since I now have Autopilot.

I drive 120km minimum as part of my daily commute to work. I have been driving this route for 4y now and only for 3 months in my model S. It is truly a big difference. It is so enjoyable/relaxing in the S. I can go on the HOV lane, and put the AP on and let go of the 10/2 hand grip. I think it is a game-changer to long commutes. You don't feel the same rage/frustration as you would in a regular car without AP.

To make the commute even more relaxing, try getting a nice plush carpet for your car and take off your shoes. Put on your favorite car freshener and tune to your favorite band or talk shows. You won't even care if someone cuts in front of you.
Technically, though, if you wouldn't drive (otherwise) without your shoes you shouldn't remove them while using AP. Basic rule: you are still the driver -- the car is only assisting you -- and you may be called on to fully, completely, 100% take over driving at any second.