Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Range or Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered a MYLR with an EDD of January. As the MYP has an EDD of June-July am contemplating switching to the Performance.

In addition to the $5000 price difference any cons to in the driving and handling of the P over the LR? I know its faster, but does it handle differently than the LR?

Thanks!

I cannot speak to the MY as I have an MS, performance is really cool when you want to show off to yourself or your friends, but you won’t be doing that all the time. I do not think it is worth the extra money and range reduction - the cars’ performance is already pretty exhilarating!

Reactions: X-pilot
I cannot speak to the MY as I have an MS, performance is really cool when you want to show off to yourself or your friends, but you won’t be doing that all the time. I do not think it is worth the extra money and range reduction - the cars’ performance is already pretty exhilarating!
Agreed! I went with LR also. The car is already fast as hell, don't see me shaving 0.5 seconds being a huge factor.

The price difference does get you more expensive wheels and bigger brakes. It just wasn't enough to entice me.

Reactions: RSpanner
Keep in mind that performance wheels come with performance tires which wear out faster and cost more to replace. As to snow, in my view driving in the snow is mostly about driving technique.
Depends on where you live. My MYP delivered on 3/5 in Idaho came with Michelin A/S tires. My guy at America's Tire was impressed Tesla used such a great tire as OEM. Regarding the question of MYP vs MYLR, MYP is always the correct answer!;)

Reactions: Prodock
I went from MYLR to MYP. Coming from X3M, I felt MYLR was underwhelming. Not the acceleration, but the handling in particular. With MYP, I have absolutely no regrets.
If you're only looking for 0 to 60, just get the boost and enjoy. But if you want better handling and tighter turns, MYP!

Reactions: Horty4
This is subjective really, for $5k more most will feel that it is well worth it for only $5,000 more. I've driven both, you're not getting THAT much more range on an MYLR vs a MYP in real world especially considering that you don't charge it to 100% daily anyway. As far as the other differences, yes it has better brakes and better suspension so the car handles A LOT better on curvy roads and feels more planted. There are no Cons with a MYP in comparison to an LR aside from the fact that you have bigger wheels which will cost more to replace tires (if you consider this a Con). The speed and acceleration is miles ahead of an LR, also MYP has the better Matrix headlights if you care about that sort of thing. Biggest thing is how much sooner you can get a MYP as you mentioned so yea is all this worth $5k more? Most people on here will agree that it is, $10k more is when you start to really reconsider switching to a P

How do the 21 inch tires handle in the snow?

How do the 21 inch tires handle in the snow?
This depends on if you get summer or A/S tires with your MYP. Considering you are in the east, I would guess you get the all seasons which handle better than summer obviously and I'm sure they are manageable in the snow but a 20" or 19" option would be better. How much better? Would depend on driving style

You can always get acceleration boost which gives you 0-60 time around 3.9 (rollout subtracted) when compared to MYP 3.5 sec (rollout subtracted). I understand that you are mainly considering it for the faster delivery time. Perhaps see if you can edit the design and add other options like white seats or color to bump it up.

When I checked insurance, Geico didn't differentiate between the P and the LR (even with the VIN specified), and was cheaper than Tesla or Farmers. But the insurance quotes vary tremendously and it's possibly a younger guy would be penalized for the choice. Can anyone confirm?

I test drove the performance Y when I was ordering. The acceleration didn’t really matter. Floored it a few times but wasn’t blown away. I currently have a M3 and ordered the MYLR for a bigger family, baby boy.

MYLR is good enough for most people.
MYP. You have extra money to spend to splurge a bit. Why not go for it. All in all you’ll continue to splurge a bit with cost of ownership as well. If you have crappy roads where you live. Might want to avoid performance or trade those 21s for something smaller.

Either way…MY is a TESLA. Fast in a straight line. Won’t really be on much curvy roads. Let’s be real lol. Everyone basically complains it’s a stiff ride.

Reactions: X-pilot