Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors (TSLA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes sense to me that BWM is 8 years behind. Here's why: BMW will only use tried and true technology, well known, well tested, well characterized as to cycles and degradation, well...boring. It takes time for tech to become mainstream, safe, and boring. 8 years sounds about right. As long as they stick to those design parameters, they will forever be 8 years behind the leading edge. Not a surprise. If tomorrow a great breakthrough in battery density occurs, BMW will not adopt it until after 8 years of study when it will finally be declared "safe" for automotive use.

Elon mentions how Daimler saved tesla from bankruptcy in 2009, Elon will save Daimler in return when it becomes
apparent they need help to survive.

70 kWh / 6831 = 10.25 / 3.6V = 2.85 ah per cell. Or using 3.7V = 2.77 ah per cell. Using 75 kWh / 6831 = 10.979 / 3.6V = 3.05 ah per cell. Using 3.7V = 2.97 ah per cell. Model S 3.2 ah per cell. It would be odd if the new cell was worse volumetrically but better gravimetrically.

The disconnect is that you are comparing the volumetric density of new Roadster cells and Model S cells and concluding that Model S cells volumetrically denser. The weight data in 32no's table, however, are for the whole pack, not just cells. So gravimetrical density included in his chart is on the pack level, not the cell level.

So the fact that gravimetrical density of new roadster battery pack is better than that of the Model S, while volumetric density of the new Roadster cell is worth than that of the Model S cell could be explained by the fact that the weight of the pack without cells for the Roadster is lower than for the Model S. This is logical result, and the main contributing factors are:
  • geometry of the pack (the weight of the box-type casing for Roadster is lower than for "matress-type" casing of the Model S)
  • functionality of the pack - Model S pack is a stressed member of the car body, while Roadster pack is not
  • required protection - Model S has large, 0.25 inch thick ballistic shield made from aluminum plate. I am not sure pack in Roadster has one, but if it does, the ballistic shield would be much smaller due to the shape of the Roadster's pack.

- - - Updated - - -

This is great. Awhile back I posted a formula for converting the ratio of two densities into into a number of year lead in technology based on the idea of doubling density every decade. For example, let's compare the i3 to 2012 Model S. I get:
10×ln(80.69÷141.67)÷ln(2)
=−8.1207249098
This indicates the i3 density is about 8 years behind where Tesla was in 2012. Frankly, I am shocked that the competition is so far behind. We often wring our hands about some breakthrough battery technology that will challenge Tesla, but seriously if the competing just copied Tesla's technology it would jump ahead 8 years. That would be a breakthrough. Just use the open source technology and follow the leader.

Calculating the lag in years is an excellent way to have another visualization of the data presented in 32no's table, very simple and elegant.

This does not change the result in any significant way, but if one wanted to nitpick, the doubling of the density in ten years refers to the density of the cells, while the table includes density of the pack...

One mistake, however, is that i3 is not 8, but 9 years behind Model S: it went on sale in 2013, while model S went on sale in 2012 :biggrin:

Last edited:
So the fact that gravimetrical density of new roadster battery pack is better than that of the Model S, while volumetric density of the new Roadster cell is worth than that of the Model S cell could be explain by the fact that the weight of the pack without cells for the Roadster is lower than for the Model S. This is logical result, and the main contributing factors are:
  • geometry of the pack (the weight of the box-type casing for Roadster is lower than for "matress-type" casing of the Model S)
  • functionality of the pack - Model S pack is a stressed member of the car body, while Roadster pack is not
  • required protection - Model S has large, 0.25 inch thick ballistic shield made from aluminum plate. I am not sure pack in Roadster has one, but if it does, the ballistic shield would be much smaller due to the shape of the Roadster's pack.

Good points.

It makes sense to me that BWM is 8 years behind. Here's why: BMW will only use tried and true technology, well known, well tested, well characterized as to cycles and degradation, well...boring. It takes time for tech to become mainstream, safe, and boring. 8 years sounds about right. As long as they stick to those design parameters, they will forever be 8 years behind the leading edge. Not a surprise. If tomorrow a great breakthrough in battery density occurs, BMW will not adopt it until after 8 years of study when it will finally be declared "safe" for automotive use.

It seems in this age of over-the-air upgrades playing it safe by hanging back 8 years is not going to cut it. Tesla will shave 0.1 second off the 3.2 second 0-60 time with just an OTA upgrade at no cost. The pace of innovation for digital cars is just that fast.

In this age of massive recalls and lawsuits no one dares put forth a new key drivetrain technology without years and years of testing.

So your lawyers have a leg to stand on in front of regulatory bodies and courts.

If not, autonomous cars would be on dealer lots yesterday.
Rob, do you think that Tesla is taking on too much liability risk by moving so aggressively with new technology? It seems that telemetry and OTA updates has allowed Tesla to mitigate alot of this risk. OTOH ten years of using a bad ignition switch design did nothing to help GM avoid deaths and millions of recalled vehicles. Old technology is not necessarily safer technology.

Rob, do you think that Tesla is taking on too much liability risk by moving so aggressively with new technology? It seems that telemetry and OTA updates has allowed Tesla to mitigate alot of this risk. OTOH ten years of using a bad ignition switch design did nothing to help GM avoid deaths and millions of recalled vehicles. Old technology is not necessarily safer technology.

Tried and true technology is generally safer than new technology. You can update software overnight but you can't update battery chemistry overnight.

Tesla is fly by the seat of your pants company. So far it has worked out for them with the under armor battery plating being the only safety issue.

When you have an ASP of $106k you can overengineer products. Less so when you go down market.

Tesla chose tried and true off the shelf commodity cells for the roadster. And has made small safe adjustments as time has gone on.

When choosing battery tech, even fly by the seat of your pants Tesla has been very conservative when it comes to battery tech.

GM had a very safe design. Decided they needed to lower cost and went with cheaper design against the advice of their supplier. Supplier reluctantly built defective ignition switch to GM spec. If GM went with older design suggested by supplier there would have been no problem.

Tried and true technology is generally safer than new technology. You can update software overnight but you can't update battery chemistry overnight.

Tesla is fly by the seat of your pants company. So far it has worked out for them with the under armor battery plating being the only safety issue.

When you have an ASP of $106k you can overengineer products. Less so when you go down market.

Tesla chose tried and true off the shelf commodity cells for the roadster. And has made small safe adjustments as time has gone on.

When choosing battery tech, even fly by the seat of your pants Tesla has been very conservative when it comes to battery tech.

GM had a very safe design. Decided they needed to lower cost and went with cheaper design against the advice of their supplier. Supplier reluctantly built defective ignition switch to GM spec. If GM went with older design suggested by supplier there would have been no problem.
Well, Ok, if you're correct, then Tesla really has no risk of technological competiton. Suppose some group came up with a major battery breakthrough, say a battery pack with 180 W/kg and at least as good as Tesla's pack in every other way. So it will be another ten years befor any major competitor touches it. If Tesla has access to it then, it can run with it in 2 - 3 years. That would give Tesla 7 - 8 years of uncontested advantage. On the other hand, if this technology is captured by a competitor, that may deprive Tesla to run with it in a few years, but it would at least give Tesla 10 years to advance their own battery pack to 180 W/kg and cut manufacturing costs before facing competion.

I think this goes to reinforce an argument I made upthread. Specifically, If you are the one developing such battery advances, then you really want to work with Tesla. Waiting 10 years for tradition automakers to bring your innovation to market is really not a good business plan for a tech company. It's even a questionable investment for an automaker to capture this technology. They basically would have to pay a premium over what Tesla would pay for it, but the only benefit for ten years is keeping the tech from Tesla. That's a really longterm investment while from a marketshare point of view Tesla is too small to worry about.

But how much would the technology for a 20% density gain be worth to Tesla? Tesla is willing to spend $5B for 50 MWh per year capacity. This tech would add abot 10 GWh of capacity. So that ought to be worth $1B for the tech. Of course, Tesla wants more than just one gigafactory, so the scale is actually much bigger. Thus, Tesla may be willing to pay even more than $1B for a 20% density gain. At this kind of money even if the technology were captured by BMW or GM, the parent company would be foolish not to do a deal with Tesla.

I'm not quite following this line of reasoning. Tesla used a tried and true commodity cell, but in the Model S they went and stripped all the safety bits out of it that made it tried and true and safe, and then repackaged them with their own pack level safety.

To me, that's not conservative, that's either innovative (if it works), or crazy (if it doesn't).

So far it looks innovative...but remember all the sparks that were flying about this approach just after the fires. (yes, pun intended). BMW made a great effort to explain to the ActiveE folks that their batteries cannot catch fire (different way less energetic chemistry), and are "automotive grade" (whatever that means), and aren't at all like those crazy Tesla laptop batteries.

View attachment 70480

And the chart (Red is 100% Tesla cars, orange is Tesla inside, and green is non-Tesla vehicles):

View attachment 70492
The most interesting thing is that the highest energy density EV that Tesla wasn't involved with is the Mercedes SLS AMG (This car also happens to be the most expensive car on this chart at $435,000), and that car has 30% less energy density than what the Model S had in 2012, and more than 40% less than the recently upgraded Roaster.

Sources for the chart:

CarBattery Weight SourceBattery kWh Source
BMW i898 kg7.1 kWh
Volkswagen E-Golf318 kg24.2 kWh
2011 Chevy Volt198.1 kg16 kWh
Nissan Leaf294 kg24 kWh
BMW i3233 kg22 kWh
Chevy Spark474 lbs/215 kg18.4 kWh
Fiat 500e272 kg24 kWh
Kia Soul EV660 lbs/281 kg27 kWh
2016 Chevy Volt183 kg18.4 kWh
Mercedes SLS AMG EV1208 lbs/548 kg60 kWh
RAV4 EV840lbs/381 kg41.8 kWh
Mercedes B-Class660 lbs/299.4 kg36 kWh
Tesla Roadster (2008)450 kg53 kWh
Tesla Model S (2012)1323 lbs/600 kg85 kWh
Improved Roadster(same package as 2008)70 kWh

Ok, so I have an update for the data. I fixed the Mercedes B-class numbers (I found the correct weight), and I added BMW i8, Mercedes SLS AMG Electric, and RAV4 EV. I will add the sources later, but the SLS Electric data is from a post on Tesla Motors Club by the user "vgrinshpun".

Anyway, here are the goodies:

View attachment 70480

And the chart (Red is 100% Tesla cars, orange is Tesla inside, and green is non-Tesla vehicles):

View attachment 70492
The most interesting thing is that the highest energy density EV that Tesla wasn't involved with is the Mercedes SLS AMG (This car also happens to be the most expensive car on this chart at $435,000), and that car has 30% less energy density than what the Model S had in 2012, and more than 40% less than the recently upgraded Roaster.

I'm sorry that I am late to this party.

I am curious why the RAV4EV Wh/kg comes in so low compared to the Model S. Since the second generation drivetrains were provided by Tesla, I understood that they used Tesla batteries as well. This second generation BEV RAV4 launched around the same time as the Model S. I seem to recall that part of the reason Tesla and Toyota went their different ways was because there simply were not enough batteries to supply both Tesla and Toyota anymore. I assumed that you compared Wh/kg by using cell weight instead of pack weight. What am I missing?

I'm sorry that I am late to this party.

I am curious why the RAV4EV Wh/kg comes in so low compared to the Model S. Since the second generation drivetrains were provided by Tesla, I understood that they used Tesla batteries as well. This second generation BEV RAV4 launched around the same time as the Model S. I seem to recall that part of the reason Tesla and Toyota went their different ways was because there simply were not enough batteries to supply both Tesla and Toyota anymore. I assumed that you compared Wh/kg by using cell weight instead of pack weight. What am I missing?

Toyota's and Tesla's engineers were known to clash often. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota's engineers created a less energy dense battery for another trade-off, perhaps cell based BMS or something along those lines.

Toyota's and Tesla's engineers were known to clash often. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota's engineers created a less energy dense battery for another trade-off, perhaps cell based BMS or something along those lines.

It was fairly often discussed that Tesla designed a higher powered, longer range vehicle that both Toyota and MB cut back because of cost and the idea that the "average" driver only needed 35 miles of range a day. An 80 mile range is sort of the balance point for most every EV between need, desire, and cost. Toyota and MB believed that people wouldn't buy an expensive EV. Plus, Toyota and MB wanted to make a decent profit. That raised the price even more.

On other threads, I see people trying to tell everyone that no one "needs" a 110 kWh battery in the S or the X. Many of us realize we don't "need" it, but we want it. My phone runs for two days. I hardly ever run it down to 50%, but there are times, there are times. And you don't want to have to go hunting for a charger. I pay for that privilege. Just like I paid a LOT for a car that goes more than 80 miles.

I used to own a car that went around 100 miles on a charge. After about 6 years of that, I was ready to save up and spend more. Glad I did.

But Toyota and MB have never driven EVs. Thus, they can never understand.

It was fairly often discussed that Tesla designed a higher powered, longer range vehicle that both Toyota and MB cut back because of cost and the idea that the "average" driver only needed 35 miles of range a day. An 80 mile range is sort of the balance point for most every EV between need, desire, and cost. Toyota and MB believed that people wouldn't buy an expensive EV. Plus, Toyota and MB wanted to make a decent profit. That raised the price even more.

On other threads, I see people trying to tell everyone that no one "needs" a 110 kWh battery in the S or the X. Many of us realize we don't "need" it, but we want it. My phone runs for two days. I hardly ever run it down to 50%, but there are times, there are times. And you don't want to have to go hunting for a charger. I pay for that privilege. Just like I paid a LOT for a car that goes more than 80 miles.

I used to own a car that went around 100 miles on a charge. After about 6 years of that, I was ready to save up and spend more. Glad I did.

But Toyota and MB have never driven EVs. Thus, they can never understand.

Thank you everyone for the clarification. I was waiting for the RAV4 EV to come out but I was seriously disappointed by the range and the fact that it couldn't be purchased in my state. I just assumed that they used fewer cells instead of inferior ones. No access to Superchargers and no dual charging was salt in that wound. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer for a vehicle like that.

Does anyone have any data on how well Tesla's manufacturing ramp is going for both the S and the X? In the medium term it's really their ability to ramp production that's going to matter since they are so demand constrained.
IDK, but Adam Jonas thinks they'll sell 10,000 in 2015. So ramping from 0 - 800 Model X per week in 25 weeks gets you to 10,000.

IDK, but Adam Jonas thinks they'll sell 10,000 in 2015. So ramping from 0 - 800 Model X per week in 25 weeks gets you to 10,000.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if 1200 of the EOY 2015 run rate is MS and 800 is MX and then they progress the final run rates upward to around 2500 giving a full 1200 for MS and MX with around 100 to float, maybe if demand continues to be strong they will fully push to 3k... But it is unclear if demand will be there to sustain that (I hope because that would be roughly 75k per model per year but trying not to get too ahead of myself)

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if 1200 of the EOY 2015 run rate is MS and 800 is MX and then they progress the final run rates upward to around 2500 giving a full 1200 for MS and MX with around 100 to float, maybe if demand continues to be strong they will fully push to 3k... But it is unclear if demand will be there to sustain that (I hope because that would be roughly 75k per model per year but trying not to get too ahead of myself)

This is a question that I am intensely interested in answering - not so much the specifics of what demand for S & X might be in 2015, but what do we think worldwide demand for S&X will peak at prior to Gen 3, and the steady state demand post Gen 3.

The whole nature of evaluating a company that is constrained by its ability to produce its product, rather than being constrained on how much it can sell by how much the public wants to buy - I can't think of any other industry or any other company to use as a case study. The closest I can think of is Boeing / Airbus as each maintains a many-year backlog, but that seems to be the nature of building airplanes, rather than a "build every single plane you can, and expand manufacturing as fast as you can for 10 years" situation :)

Apple sees situations like this periodically for very short periods (release of new iPhone).

Anyway, one idea that we can use to start estimating theoretical demand is to understand worldwide demand for large luxury sedans. Presumably, the limit of Model S demand is the current worldwide demand for large luxury sedans. To achieve that level of demand, Tesla would need to take 100% market share from all other participants in that market. So that probably won't happen :) We'd need to fudge the number down by the market share we believe is achievable. I would look at California and Norway, with probably California a better representation of the limit of demand (incentives in Norway are so outstanding it tilts things badly). What is Model S market share in California, and what would worldwide demand be at the same market share?

Of course, then we'd need to subtract out demand for large luxury sedans from markets that aren't opened yet at a minimum, and we might be able to identify the markets that are unlikely to be opened by Tesla anytime soon (poor charging infrastructure, low expected demand for Model S, etc..).

And then we need to add into the demand Model S's apparently strong ability to pull buyers that wouldn't otherwise participate in the large luxury sedan market. I would really like to put a number on that, as it would help us have insight into future Model X (and Gen 3) demand.

Insight into theoretical Model S demand would also serve as an initial estimate into Model X demand.

I figure that the ideal data set will provide us make and model sales (registrations?) volume at the monthly (quarterly?) and country level of detail. The best data source I'm aware of today for this kind of data is goodcarbadcar.net - I'm trying to figure out if they have downloadable stats, or if I'm stuck pulling this stuff out car by car.