Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long time reader, Just picked up "Used" 2015 85D through Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, this forum has so much valuable information. I decided to finally put a deposit down on the Tesla site for a 2015 85D on 4/1. Overall the experience was great, contrary to some of the horror stories I have read about buying used from Tesla. Just want to inform some readers and members that it's not always a bad experience. On to the experience and vehicle...

On 4/1 I placed a deposit on a 2015 Model S 85D
-Black / Black Next Gen
-27k miles
-Carbon Fiber Trim
-Sunroof
-Air Suspension
-Hi-Fi sound
-Premium Package
-4yr/50k CPO warranty

The pictures of the vehicle were not that great as everyone knows. Seeing as it did not have any damage pictured, it seemed like it was a pretty clean car. I am in Columbus and the car was in Chicago so I planned to fly out instead of pay $2k for shipping.

Communication was pretty great, even though I bounced around 3 different people contacting me about the sale and delivery. Longest non response from anyone was about 24hrs throughout the process.

Delivery Date was scheduled for 4/11, the uploads through the Tesla Portal were effortless.
When I arrived at the Chicago-Westmont location, the car was out front and looked great. Checked in, and walked out to see the vehicle. They had detailed the interior, and washed and waxed the exterior. Overall the car was in amazing shape for being 4 years old.

Issues with the car:
-1 very light scratch on the front bumper
-2 Good year Tires on the front, and 2 michelin in the back (both new, but spoke to the advisor about this and they are looking into it)
-Brake calipers are red and peeling (seems to be a bad aftermarket job, not a big deal)
-Car was not fully charged for the drive home
-I asked to have the software updated before I arrived ( it is still on 2018.50.6, not sure if this is the most current but it still has not updated)

I went ahead and took the car, with these minor issues and couldn't be happier. If any one has questions at all about the process, condition, or vehicle, feel free to ask. Once again thanks everyone for the extremely valuable content that is shared on this forum.
IMG_0986.JPEG

Thanks everyone!

Looks like I nice one. I'm in Dayton and will be picking mine up in Cinci tomorrow. I did have to pay to have it shipped from NY though. Hoping for great experience like yours as well.
I looked at a few in NY as well and couldn’t justify the drive as I wanted to be able to see the car in person before having it shipped. I hope you have a great experience as well.

Congratulations! As for the firmware, that is as late as most Model S of that vintage, I believe. That is what my 2015 Model S on, and was told I am current at recent service. I think some AP2 cars might have something newer, as well as Model 3s.

Congrats! We bought our S85D in 2015 and now have almost 65K miles on it with no problems encountered. Road trips from Monterey to Yellowstone, Moab, Vancouver, Victoria, San Diego (separately) all were a breeze with plenty of supercharging and destination charging sites. Still comfortable and no end in sight.

Congratulations! As for the firmware, that is as late as most Model S of that vintage, I believe. That is what my 2015 Model S on, and was told I am current at recent service. I think some AP2 cars might have something newer, as well as Model 3s.
Thanks for the info, I had a software updated "staged". Installed this weekend, but it remained at the same software 2018.50.6

Glad to hear. Looking to purchase very soon also. I haven't had any communication requests followed up on so far so I'm a little leary... Fingers crossed.
Once I was able to get in touch with a Used Vehicle Sales Advisor, responses were pretty prompt. As I had requested photos on many cars, the key that I found to deciding on one, was looking for photos specifically picturing damage and staying away from those.

The photos that I received prior to putting a deposit down were definitely not great, but there was no specific damage photographed leading to the belief it was a pretty clean and well taken care of car.

First off, this forum has so much valuable information. I decided to finally put a deposit down on the Tesla site for a 2015 85D on 4/1. Overall the experience was great, contrary to some of the horror stories I have read about buying used from Tesla. Just want to inform some readers and members that it's not always a bad experience. On to the experience and vehicle...

On 4/1 I placed a deposit on a 2015 Model S 85D
-Black / Black Next Gen
-27k miles
-Carbon Fiber Trim
-Sunroof
-Air Suspension
-Hi-Fi sound
-Premium Package
-4yr/50k CPO warranty

The pictures of the vehicle were not that great as everyone knows. Seeing as it did not have any damage pictured, it seemed like it was a pretty clean car. I am in Columbus and the car was in Chicago so I planned to fly out instead of pay $2k for shipping.

Communication was pretty great, even though I bounced around 3 different people contacting me about the sale and delivery. Longest non response from anyone was about 24hrs throughout the process.

Delivery Date was scheduled for 4/11, the uploads through the Tesla Portal were effortless.
When I arrived at the Chicago-Westmont location, the car was out front and looked great. Checked in, and walked out to see the vehicle. They had detailed the interior, and washed and waxed the exterior. Overall the car was in amazing shape for being 4 years old.

Issues with the car:
-1 very light scratch on the front bumper
-2 Good year Tires on the front, and 2 michelin in the back (both new, but spoke to the advisor about this and they are looking into it)
-Brake calipers are red and peeling (seems to be a bad aftermarket job, not a big deal)
-Car was not fully charged for the drive home
-I asked to have the software updated before I arrived ( it is still on 2018.50.6, not sure if this is the most current but it still has not updated)

I went ahead and took the car, with these minor issues and couldn't be happier. If any one has questions at all about the process, condition, or vehicle, feel free to ask. Once again thanks everyone for the extremely valuable content that is shared on this forum.View attachment 396327

Thanks for this posting. I too am considering pulling the trigger on a used Tesla from Tesla, and the S85D model. Your experience is perfect timing for me. I have had considerable difficulty maintaining an email conversation with one of their national reps. He takes 2-3 days between my questions and giving me answers and then he only answers maybe half the questions asked??
I will likely use Chicago too, since I am about 160 miles away and can drive there. I noticed the prices for Chicago seem a bit higher than similar cars from California, likely due to the huge supply out there and the freight to get to the Midwest.
Regarding any damages, I was able to get nice quality photos through their "request photos" button, which did show points of damage. However, I was told they do not make any repairs on cosmetic issues, that the price reflects deductions for any damage they find. Kind of cold? Nevertheless, the CPO warranty is very attractive, especially since many of the 2015 cars returned from lease are running out of the original 4yr/50K bumper to bumper warranty.
My big concern is when any of the Tesla's become 8 years old, what are they worth? The lowest price I found was $12000 and the highest was $35000 in proportion to the range (ie. 60 to 100Kwh). Best scenario is to sell the car with at least 2 years remaining on the drivetrain/battery warranty?

So that is what is holding me back from buying a used one. I cannot afford the new ones, so any advice from the group would be very much appreciated.

BTW: very nice car, looks awesome and stealth