Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer wait time for Standard Range than Long Range Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once Tesla starts manufacturing the standard range version (SR), one would expect there to be a burst of orders from those who have already been invited to configure but are waiting for SR. This, on it's own, might create a longer wait time for these orders than what people are experience now for the long range (LR).

Additionally, especially if you assume that the LR version has a higher profit margin than the SR, Tesla may devote a smaller percentage of manufacturing capacity toward SR. This would further slow delivery times for SR.

There are lots of factors here. For one, does Tesla offer SR to every person already invited to configure at once or do reservations higher in the queue get access first? The impact of the tax credit phasing out could also come into play if the wait gets long enough.

There are a lot of assumptions and speculation in here. But my take is that, for those holding off for SR, it seems like being quick to act the moment it becomes available would be worth the effort. And know that you'll be competing against those who write a script to act quickly or at least get an alert.

Let's discuss.

There are a lot of assumptions and speculation in here. But my take is that, for those holding off for SR, it seems like being quick to act the moment it becomes available would be worth the effort.
Unless they're not offering the PUP as a configurable option when they first make the SR version available... if that's the case, I'll have to hold off ordering.

... does Tesla offer SR to every person already invited to configure at once or do reservations higher in the queue get access first?
Unless they remove everyone's ability to configure and then go through the entire process of going through the list again, I don't see how they could limit it. Right now, if you have already been invited but have not yet configured you can go in and configure whenever you like. So, yes, it does sound like there could easily be a rush of configurations when new options are added.

It's because of that that I sort of think they'll start offering new options pretty soon while the number of people that are waiting is still sort of manageable. If they let it get too big there could be thousands of people configuring in just a couple of days when a popular option, like maybe SR, is released.

Unless they remove everyone's ability to configure and then go through the entire process of going through the list again, I don't see how they could limit it.

They could possibly just open up the SR option to certain reservations. So if you and I were both waiting for SR after getting our invites, but you were higher in the queue, they could simply add the SR option to you when you configure but it would still be blocked for me. Tesla wouldn't have to stop me from ordering LR. They could just not add that to my options list.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Unless they're not offering the PUP as a configurable option when they first make the SR version available... if that's the case, I'll have to hold off ordering.

I am with you. PUP is also a requirement for me. But I'll pay up for the LR before waiting beyond the full tax credit cutoff coming 6/30 or 9/30 (or God forbid 12/31). I'm not sure LR is worth $9,000 to me, but it is worth $5,250.

Reactions: MP3Mike
They could possibly just open up the SR option to certain reservations. So if you and I were both waiting for SR after getting our invites, but you were higher in the queue, they could simply add the SR option to you when you configure but it would still be blocked for me. Tesla wouldn't have to stop me from ordering LR. They could just not add that to my options list.

I guess it's possible but that seems highly unlikely to me.

I am with you. PUP is also a requirement for me. But I'll pay up for the LR before waiting beyond the full tax credit cutoff coming 6/30 or 9/30 (or God forbid 12/31). I'm not sure LR is worth $9,000 to me, but it is worth $5,250.
I'm in the exact same boat. I'd rather pay the lower price for SR since it's not really a necessity—but if it's not available until later this year, I may as well get LR and an extra $3,750 in credit.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Right now it seems all cars are inventory. Since there are only color and wheel choices, you get a car that is already made, in the four week wait.

Once they add more options, we may be back to every order is custom. (Maybe not if they only add battery/AWD/interior.)

But going from two to five is a lot more choices. (Five colors, two wheels, two batteries, two interiors, two drive train....)

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I like my idea better though, if only because it means the other options will be out sooner :D