Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Dead PEM and other drive-train components

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - It's abundantly clear that extremely knowledgeable and very experienced Roadster owners have felt strongly supported by TMC past and present - that is great to hear! I'm delighted to learn that some of my "first impressions" were off-key and the big picture is bright. This forum - and those wise and experienced contributors who are its heart - are terrific resources in every way. Sharing information and experience is enormously helpful. Thanks all.

... I can understand why Tesla has chosen the policy that they did. If there were a fire or an accident, both of which could result from an improperly repaired PEM, Tesla would lose 1 $billion market cap overnight and it would slow the adoption of EVs. These risks are remote especially with someone like ElectricLove who probably knows what he's doing. But I can see why Tesla is not about to take that chance. ...

The policy likely made 100% sense when it was created, but I don't think it fits very well today.

Last edited:
While I wish you much luck, electriclove, your characterization of Roadster owners as forgotten and overcharged immediately turned me off.

One thing I really insisted on in business was that we not use the competition as a reason to buy our product - our product should be good enough to stand alone. If your service is better than Tesla's service, then that's the best advertisement of all. But when you have owners here responding and saying we're not unhappy, that's a good data point that should be considered. And when you talk about $10k PEM repairs, but an owner tells you his was replaced for minimal cost (2nd owner, definitely not under warranty), that should be applauded.

Could things change? Sure. But Tesla has not forgotten their flagship product in my experience (and the experience of some others who have posted here). There are definitely some customers that have gotten under their skin and perhaps haven't had as positive an experience.

Bottom line for me? If your service is better, you'd get my business. But talking down Tesla is a small red flag for me. You shouldn't need to do that to get business.

Well stated Bonnie. I believe you hit the nail on the head. My response to this poster was indeed because I too saw his negativism as a red flag.

Best,

T

And it seems as if I need a new prescription for my glasses. Some poster's screen name seems to have blurred to the point where it looks like wiztecy. (Welcome back wiz!)

Thanks everyone for warm welcoming back, we have a fantastic and closely knit Roadster community here that's considered very much as an admirable part of your extended family. Also want to thank doug / TMC for creating the infrastructure that has become a treasure trove of information on Tesla and the iconic Roadster. And we can't forget thanking the moderators for their time and commitment in keeping the threads well organized and on topic.

Reactions: Mark77a
As I mentioned in an earlier thread I managed to have a non-working PEM fixed. The person I have to thank the most is Asle Kvernmark which is highly experienced with electronics. He has been developing high-end audio amplifiers under the brand name Adyton, and told me it was luck that he has worked with similar electronics as in the PEM and was therefore able to detect which components needed replacement without any documentation. He would be willing to help again if needed.

Reactions: Mark77a and wiztecy