Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Trip Advice Sea- Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking my MX75D to Portland, and unfortunately the hotel we have to stay at in Lake Oswego doesn't have a charger. I think my best place to charge (in terms of time efficiency) is about 30 extra miles south, at the Woodburn Supercharger. I figured id drop the family off at the hotel and continue on to Woodburn and charge to full. I could then tool around the city for the weekend, then before going back to Seattle, charge up again at Woodburn. I don't see any other way, as the local 240W connectors will require me to wait around for 6+ hours. I wish the Tigard Supercharger was up and running. Any other ideas from frequent Tesla road travelers? Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
Yes, lots of CHAdeMO spots in the Portland area. It might be worth having that adapter in your arsenal, but it is pretty pricey ($450). If I lived in Portland, I'd loan you mine while you were in town, but I'm an hour east.

Unfortunately the Centralia SC is just under 100 miles from Lake

Have you looked at plugshare? If you end up going downtown, Hotel DeLux has great chargers and I think parking maxes out at $15. There are several light rail stops nearby or Uber is easy too. 4 hours on a level 2 charger should get you plenty of charge.

You might be able to get away with just one charge in Woodburn rather than two, but otherwise it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

One other thing is to be sure to either park in the shade or turn off your Cabin Overheat Protection, otherwise you will lose some range every day. This is an extreme case, but I parked my car outside all day in Las Vegas this week and I was losing about 35 rated miles per day due to the 110F temps and high angle of the sun. Portland would not be as bad but I would guess it could still be 20 RM/day in a heat wave.

Also, even if your hotel only has a 110V outlet to plug into that is immensely better than not plugging in at all. You can get 40-60 rated miles per night and prevent the vampire drain on the battery.

Reactions: SageBrush
Have you looked at plugshare? If you end up going downtown, Hotel DeLux has great chargers and I think parking maxes out at $15. There are several light rail stops nearby or Uber is easy too. 4 hours on a level 2 charger should get you plenty of charge.
A comment on plugshare says that parking is validated for 2 hours if you buy something to eat or drink at the nearby Hotel Lucia.
The Tesla destination charger at DeLuxe is 64amps at 208V, good for about 80 rated miles in 2 hours

Elec Ave is no longer free :(, but at least still a reliable charging spot (for a fee)

looking at the posting from on the charging station on plugshare:

upload_2017-7-19_9-21-22.png

are the for-fee charging already in place? or is it starting in fall? we are hoping to make another visit before end of summer o_O

Taking my MX75D to Portland, and unfortunately the hotel we have to stay at in Lake Oswego doesn't have a charger. I think my best place to charge (in terms of time efficiency) is about 30 extra miles south, at the Woodburn Supercharger. I figured id drop the family off at the hotel and continue on to Woodburn and charge to full. I could then tool around the city for the weekend, then before going back to Seattle, charge up again at Woodburn. I don't see any other way, as the local 240W connectors will require me to wait around for 6+ hours. I wish the Tigard Supercharger was up and running. Any other ideas from frequent Tesla road travelers? Thanks in advance.
Firstly "welcome to the family", noted it's your first post.

Ensure you charge at the Centralia SpC, on way down there, beyond the recommended charge time (that only takes into account something like 10% extra after arrival and you'll want more). I wouldnt charge to 100% as it's significantly slower based on the tapering of the charge.

If you haven't already left and want some extra security / flexibility then PM me and we'll exchange personal details and I'll loan you my CHaDeMO adapter.

As well as the wonderful suggestions of Electric Ave and the Lucia hotel, the Westin Portland downtown has a pair of 80A Tesla destination chargers. I know them well, and have helped me out even when I couldn't get a room there, though presuming you chat nicely with them I'd expect them to help out. They're very Tesla friendly :)

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Well, my suggestion is out of the box. Consider the bus.

I went to Portland a couple months ago, and I had done all this research ahead of time, finding which parking garages downtown had charging stations. My plan was originally to take the car into downtown one of the days, to let it charge up all day in a public garage, and it will be able to get me through. But the Portland bus system is so fantastic that we arrived at the AirBNB in the Richmond region and never moved the car the whole week we were there.

I was amazed how super easy and cheap it was. You can buy an unlimited day pass right there on the bus for $5. Google Maps on your phone is like a miracle for bus riding in an unfamiliar city. Just enter a destination, select bus, and it will show you EVERYTHING. And my biggest concern of riding a bus in an unfamiliar city is about being able to tell where I am from looking out the window. But you can just watch your little blue dot moving along the route on your phone, so you know when it's your stop.

Parking can sometimes be such a pain around Portland anyway that I was glad to not have to deal with it, and bus was way easier than I imagined.