Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to cancel order due to removal of USS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, they should have. But I also think that those that canceled their orders simply because of the lack of USS (and how often do you really need them?) are short-sighted and missing out on a lot.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you..but that's assuming they sort out the camera assist right? And if they don't? Would you expect they retrofit cars with USS if they can't work it out? I would...this problem shouldn't even exist..they shouldn't have removed USS without sorting out the camera assist..I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise (not suggesting you are).

Reactions: GreenCoffee
Accepted delivery yesterday of a MYLR5 without USS. I knew USS had been removed when I ordered it, and I was expecting some version of park assist to return with a Tesla Vision software update before my delivery. So I bought this car because it is likely I would pay more if I waited for park assist to get sorted out. If I canceled now and ordered again the next few months, I expect to pay and new order fee, a $2K price increase relative to my locked-in price on 1/15, and I may lose $3.75K in tax credits due to updated IRS rules, adding up to $6K more. For that kind of money I can lean to park without the beeps.

Don't need to be either...Would any car today at 60k be released without USS? The answer is no....And hey, they included it originally because they knew they needed it...Boom.

I could make an analogy about how back in 98, Apple decided to make a $1k computer without a disc drive, when everyone else had them! Would any other PC company make a computer without a disc drive back then? Nope, and Apple originally had disc drives on their Mac's. Ultimately they proved they really weren't needed, now didn't they? Boom.

Sarcasm aside, how about we get this latest update and see how Tesla Vision does, then let's see how many other car companies drop their USS's in the next couple years, once they see if they are, or are not, needed.

It's tough to see the future. I do agree with your point that they should have had the Tesla Vision ready to go before they started selling cars without it. But, maybe there were behind the scene decisions and financials that delayed Tesla Vision, and maybe the tooling on the production line had already been upgraded and the supplier for USS dropped? There could be any number of reasons why USS was dropped before Tesla Vision was ready, but let's see how it does now that it is beginning to roll out. I personally would prefer birds eye view and the way Tesla vision on the latest FSD beta is giving us a full 360 degree distance measurement over USS's.

Accepted delivery yesterday of a MYLR5 without USS. I knew USS had been removed when I ordered it, and I was expecting some version of park assist to return with a Tesla Vision software update before my delivery. So I bought this car because it is likely I would pay more if I waited for park assist to get sorted out. If I canceled now and ordered again the next few months, I expect to pay and new order fee, a $2K price increase relative to my locked-in price on 1/15, and I may lose $3.75K in tax credits due to updated IRS rules, adding up to $6K more. For that kind of money I can lean to park without the beeps.
We'll likely have the new Tesla Vision park assist within the month, barring any issues on the current FSD Beta rollout.

I have both. A 2021 Model 3 and a 2023 Model Y. Once the Tesla Vision update rolls out within the next 30 days, I'll be able to see the difference first hand. You may be right, but I'll personally wait to find out before making such a statement.
Exact same lineup here. BUt my question is, what makes you think that we'll get the Tesla Vision update within the next 30 days?

I have both. A 2021 Model 3 and a 2023 Model Y. Once the Tesla Vision update rolls out within the next 30 days, I'll be able to see the difference first hand. You may be right, but I'll personally wait to find out before making such a statement.
wait to find out what exactly?
I will take $22500 saving over the car with USS. My previous 20 plus cars had no camera, no sensors, no USS, but I had no issue or accident driving and parking them.

Reactions: Yelobird
wait to find out what exactly?
I will take $22500 saving over the car with USS. My previous 20 plus cars had no camera, no sensors, no USS, but I had no issue or accident driving and parking them.
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, as you're contradicting yourself? You want a car with USS, because your previous 20 cars didn't have it and you didn't have any issues? Umm, okay. 🤔

I was simply stating that I'll use first hand knowledge of Tesla Vision, compared to USS before I start saying one is better than the other. For all you know, Tesla Vision could put those ultrasonic sensors out of business (so to speak).

Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, as you're contradicting yourself? You want a car with USS, because your previous 20 cars didn't have it and you didn't have any issues? Umm, okay. 🤔

I was simply stating that I'll use first hand knowledge of Tesla Vision, compared to USS before I start saying one is better than the other. For all you know, Tesla Vision could put those ultrasonic sensors out of business (so to speak).
He’s not arguing with you. You are confused. He was agreeing with the point you were making originally.

Reactions: Yelobird
I could make an analogy about how back in 98, Apple decided to make a $1k computer without a disc drive, when everyone else had them! Would any other PC company make a computer without a disc drive back then? Nope, and Apple originally had disc drives on their Mac's. Ultimately they proved they really weren't needed, now didn't they? Boom.

Sarcasm aside, how about we get this latest update and see how Tesla Vision does, then let's see how many other car companies drop their USS's in the next couple years, once they see if they are, or are not, needed.

It's tough to see the future. I do agree with your point that they should have had the Tesla Vision ready to go before they started selling cars without it. But, maybe there were behind the scene decisions and financials that delayed Tesla Vision, and maybe the tooling on the production line had already been upgraded and the supplier for USS dropped? There could be any number of reasons why USS was dropped before Tesla Vision was ready, but let's see how it does now that it is beginning to roll out. I personally would prefer birds eye view and the way Tesla vision on the latest FSD beta is giving us a full 360 degree distance measurement over USS's.
And yet, they had an alternative to a disk drive already in place. Can you imagine not having a disk drive and no CD to replace it? At that point it time it would've been difficult to deal with..maybe less so with a Mac, impossible with a PC. No problem not having USS to see how close you are to something if you have the alternative in place. They didn't.

I'm absolutely not saying USS is needed...I'm saying the feature (distance of car to object in close proximity) is something cars at that level should have...and therefore you can't just remove it without having something in place. The whole thing is a non-issue if they have a working Camera Assist when they remove USS....

So going back to what I originally said....we know they didn't want to release a car without the ability to detect proximity...that's why they included USS in the first place..and they knew it would've been a tough sell at that price point without that feature. HOW they deliver that feature, I don't think most people care..but they do want that feature. Someone saying that feature isn't needed is ridiculous.

Reactions: LBM4
And yet, they had an alternative to a disk drive already in place. Can you imagine not having a disk drive and no CD to replace it? At that point it time it would've been difficult to deal with..maybe less so with a Mac, impossible with a PC. No problem not having USS to see how close you are to something if you have the alternative in place. They didn't.

I'm absolutely not saying USS is needed...I'm saying the feature (distance of car to object in close proximity) is something cars at that level should have...and therefore you can't just remove it without having something in place. The whole thing is a non-issue if they have a working Camera Assist when they remove USS....

So going back to what I originally said....we know they didn't want to release a car without the ability to detect proximity...that's why they included USS in the first place..and they knew it would've been a tough sell at that price point without that feature. HOW they deliver that feature, I don't think most people care..but they do want that feature. Someone saying that feature isn't needed is ridiculous.
The decision is more complex. Other companies removed USS or slowed production. Tesla chose to accelerate transition to camera based so they could keep production going and let buyers decide if they wanted a car now or to wait. Turns out lots of people were willing to take a car still. Some of us can understand this, especially people who waited 6+ months for a car and didn’t want to extend that over USS.

2023.6.9 is out.. and it will bring parking support!
Installing it right now on my model y without USS.
Screenshot_20230324_003327_Tesla.jpg

The wait is now over, if your concern is the removal of USS:

Status
Not open for further replies.