Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lose screw on new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my model Y on Wednesday and I went to put on mudflaps and realize there was a screw that was loose and stripped right where the mudflap goes in at the bottom. I cannot fasten the mudflap now. Tesla is coming out to my house to fix the bolt issue. Should I see if they will just connect the mudflap. I don’t know how they’re going to get the screw to work. It seems like there is no threading for the screw to go into. Thanks in advance.

Its common for people to snap that one when installing mudflaps (lots of posts), I can imagine it happens at the factory, too. I personally wouldnt mention the mudflaps to them, because they could shift the blame to you (depends on the tech, but I wouldnt take the change). After they install it, it will likely be easy enough to take off and reinstall yourself. I'd do the other side, too if you havent already. If 2 are broken, might as well have them fix both.

If you're worried about it snapping again, in those mudflap posts, people suggest cutting a small slit in the mudflap part with the hole and just sliding it around the already secured bolt. Its not like that flap takes a lot of load and will fly off or anything.

I just received my model Y on Wednesday and I went to put on mudflaps and realize there was a screw that was loose and stripped right where the mudflap goes in at the bottom. I cannot fasten the mudflap now. Tesla is coming out to my house to fix the bolt issue. Should I see if they will just connect the mudflap. I don’t know how they’re going to get the screw to work. It seems like there is no threading for the screw to go into. Thanks in advance.
Can't you just use a larger screw?

If it's what everyone has been having problems with, no, a bigger screw or plastic rivet won't work. Inside the bumper there is what is called a "captive nut." Basically a nut that the bolt threads into and allows it to tighten. What happens is that it breaks loose inside and is no longer captive. When you go to spin the bolt, the nut also spins because it isn't properly held in place inside. So you can't get the bolt out because you can't unthread it, and vise versa.