Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud wind noise coming from roof on freeway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Door and windows wind noise have been fixed for 2022.

Curious to know what was your prior car.

Door and window wind noise is not fixed for 2022, I know they put the double pane glass in, but the main problem is the windows don't seal super well. In fact on a windy day sometimes they pull away and it gets *super loud* and it won't go away until you stop and open and close the door again. Some of this may be fixable by adjusting window position but the dealer won't do it so I'll have to try and figure it out.

Reactions: JRP3 and Sam1
Door and window wind noise is not fixed for 2022, I know they put the double pane glass in, but the main problem is the windows don't seal super well. In fact on a windy day sometimes they pull away and it gets *super loud* and it won't go away until you stop and open and close the door again. Some of this may be fixable by adjusting window position but the dealer won't do it so I'll have to try and figure it out.

My passenger front one will do it once I get above 120mph, but I found out that if I tap the button the the driver's side window once (just tap it for pressure equalization, not actually rolling it down), the noise goes away. First time I hit 150, it sounded like the top window was going to fly off and actually put a service call in for a repair but they said it was good and I figured out the driver's window thing on accident.

My passenger front one will do it once I get above 120mph, but I found out that if I tap the button the the driver's side window once (just tap it for pressure equalization, not actually rolling it down), the noise goes away. First time I hit 150, it sounded like the top window was going to fly off and actually put a service call in for a repair but they said it was good and I figured out the driver's window thing on accident.
Thanks, I'll play with that tap trick if it happens again.

In my frameless BMW, there was an option to tighten the window pressure on the rubber seal. Is there one for the M3?

"Now I hear tire/road noise more" - I think that's exactly how it should be on a properly assembled 2021+ Model 3 at 70-75mph. Definitely the case for my October 2021 M3P, and for the M3P I test drove. M3LR wind noise level was about the same too as best I recall, with less tire noise thanks to quieter non-performance tires.

(The tires I have on now are slightly louder at highway cruising than the foam-lined OE tires, but even with the OE tires there was less wind noise than tire noise cruising on the highway.)

Really sucks that Tesla still has such inconsistent build quality. Stuff that is just uneven or asymmetric visually is one thing, but this wind noise issue is another level.

Reactions: Graham J and enemji
"Now I hear tire/road noise more" - I think that's exactly how it should be on a properly assembled 2021+ Model 3 at 70-75mph. Definitely the case for my October 2021 M3P, and for the M3P I test drove. M3LR wind noise level was about the same too as best I recall, with less tire noise thanks to quieter non-performance tires.

(The tires I have on now are slightly louder at highway cruising than the foam-lined OE tires, but even with the OE tires there was less wind noise than tire noise cruising on the highway.)

Really sucks that Tesla still has such inconsistent build quality. Stuff that is just uneven or asymmetric visually is one thing, but this wind noise issue is another level.
Design for consistent assembly is the one thing they sacrificed in order to reduce number of parts with a curvy sexy styling. A squarish style like others would have been easier but boring

I am doubting this opinion here. Why? I actually went up to my 2022M3 and the frameless window actually roll up into a deep groove.
Also I am in Dallas TX which is a flat region where crosswinds are in season blowing 15-20mph while doing the typical 80mph. I have not had my windows lose the sealing in this situation.

120mph? Window noise is probably the least of my concerns if I am driving that fast

Feb 2022 delivery on my M3LR. Thursday night, I was complaining about wind noise coming from, what seemed, the front of my left rear and right rear windows. Last night, my GF noticed it on her side, seemed like the rear. I didn’t notice it on the left side. Tonight, nada…

I am doubting this opinion here. Why? I actually went up to my 2022M3 and the frameless window actually roll up into a deep groove.
Also I am in Dallas TX which is a flat region where crosswinds are in season blowing 15-20mph while doing the typical 80mph. I have not had my windows lose the sealing in this situation.
In my 2021 I hear more noise from the top of the windshield(suspecting the gap between the windshield and the roof glass) and the A pillars.

I know on the BMW G chassis 3 series was designed with more sound insulation material in the A pillar to reduce wind noise. I had both and F and G chassis at the time and it was a night and day difference between the two generations. I'll have to remove the A pillar trim on the Model 3 and take a good look.

A windy evening reminded me that weather and pavement can drastically alter the "which is louder - road or wind noise?" question. With high winds, and pavement that's not terrible, wind noise was at least comparably loud as tire noise at 70-75mph.

However with calm weather, wind noise is easily less than tire noise in my 2021 at those speeds on the same stretch of highway.

Attachments

• 625E52E5-DC9E-4012-B5C7-A42D02E0ACDB.png
    625E52E5-DC9E-4012-B5C7-A42D02E0ACDB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 249
Door and windows wind noise have been fixed for 2022.

Curious to know what was your prior car.
NVH isn't "fixed", it's "improved". Tesla has done a little bit of work on the NVH, but it's not nearly good enough for the price category.

The fact that similarly priced ICE vehicles with large engines are so much quieter is something Tesla should work on.

Reactions: JRP3 and enemji