Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love/Hate the Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plaid is awesome, it's also terrible. The acceleration is stupifying, and that's coming from a P100D. The car also handles better, it feels lighter and more nimble than my P100D. The suspension tweaks have helped, the tires are also slightly bigger.

You don't feel the acceleration difference much below about 60, the tires just can't grip in most circumstances. From 60 to 100, it's unbelievable, crazy, cartoon physics. OMFG.

The interior is lovely, elegant, clean, and crisp. I have a '21 GLS 63 that's got more bells, whistles, and lights than a 1970's pinball machine, the tesla UI is vastly superior.

The center console is the best of any car I've ever seen. Ingenious storage compartments that are LIT so you can see them, clean and attractive when closed. This is a huge step up from my P85D that had no center console and no door pockets.

Now for the not-so-great part: I can get used to the yoke, I will never love it, but it's workable.

The turn signals, brights, and most importantly the HORN are unforgivable. You can argue that the turn signals are a design aesthetic decision, but there is no excuse for not making the center of the yoke work as the horn. Tesla has tried to make "cheap" look cool for a long time. I get it, buttons are expensive and often overused (see my Mercedes), but there is no excuse for the horn. I've almost gotten creamed twice now as people back into me as I'm frantically trying to find the stupid touch-sensitive location for the horn. It's impossible to hit in an emergency. Elon had to save $0.30 on a $145,000.00 car by making the horn a tiny touch-sensitive area on the steering wheel. It's unforgivable. It's just cheap. And, no I didn't know the car didn't have a usable horn when I bought it.

As far as the turn signals, shifter, brights, wipers, and autopilot buttons go they all suck. I figured I'd give it some time to see if I adapted to it, if they weren't so bad, give Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they didn't totally cheap out on a $145,000.00 car. They SUCK. It's awful.

The turn signals are always doing the wrong thing, I get one blink when I want it to stay on. You have to totally mash it to guarantee it'll stay on, and when you try for one blink it stays on half the time. They suck. Whoever heard of one blink? it should be three blinks for a tap.

The shifter is backward from the old tesla. Move the car up the screen for drive and down for reverse. Makes sense, right? Except the problem is that my old car needed an upward motion of the shifter stalk for REVERSE and a downward motion for DRIVE.

The yoke is the least of my complaints, I at least like the look and might put up with the stupid thing except that it's covered in touch sensitive crap that you are always hitting as you wrestle with the thing in a parking lot. I've hit turn signals, horn, brights, windshield wipers, voice control, f-ing everything as I wrestle with the thing.

What irritates me most is that Tesla saved themselves a few dollars in switchgear and f-ing ruined an otherwise amazing car.

I firmly believe that Tesla should offer the option for a regular wheel. Personally, I think the Yoke is cool and I don’t mind adapting to it. Most people though I think do it feel the same way. If you’re going to reinvent the wheel you need to be sure of what you’re doing and Tesla seems to have somewhat half assed it because it looks cool.

The plaid is awesome, it's also terrible. The acceleration is stupifying, and that's coming from a P100D. The car also handles better, it feels lighter and more nimble than my P100D. The suspension tweaks have helped, the tires are also slightly bigger.

You don't feel the acceleration difference much below about 60, the tires just can't grip in most circumstances. From 60 to 100, it's unbelievable, crazy, cartoon physics. OMFG.

The interior is lovely, elegant, clean, and crisp. I have a '21 GLS 63 that's got more bells, whistles, and lights than a 1970's pinball machine, the tesla UI is vastly superior.

The center console is the best of any car I've ever seen. Ingenious storage compartments that are LIT so you can see them, clean and attractive when closed. This is a huge step up from my P85D that had no center console and no door pockets.

Now for the not-so-great part: I can get used to the yoke, I will never love it, but it's workable.

The turn signals, brights, and most importantly the HORN are unforgivable. You can argue that the turn signals are a design aesthetic decision, but there is no excuse for not making the center of the yoke work as the horn. Tesla has tried to make "cheap" look cool for a long time. I get it, buttons are expensive and often overused (see my Mercedes), but there is no excuse for the horn. I've almost gotten creamed twice now as people back into me as I'm frantically trying to find the stupid touch-sensitive location for the horn. It's impossible to hit in an emergency. Elon had to save $0.30 on a $145,000.00 car by making the horn a tiny touch-sensitive area on the steering wheel. It's unforgivable. It's just cheap. And, no I didn't know the car didn't have a usable horn when I bought it.

As far as the turn signals, shifter, brights, wipers, and autopilot buttons go they all suck. I figured I'd give it some time to see if I adapted to it, if they weren't so bad, give Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they didn't totally cheap out on a $145,000.00 car. They SUCK. It's awful.

The turn signals are always doing the wrong thing, I get one blink when I want it to stay on. You have to totally mash it to guarantee it'll stay on, and when you try for one blink it stays on half the time. They suck. Whoever heard of one blink? it should be three blinks for a tap.

The shifter is backward from the old tesla. Move the car up the screen for drive and down for reverse. Makes sense, right? Except the problem is that my old car needed an upward motion of the shifter stalk for REVERSE and a downward motion for DRIVE.

The yoke is the least of my complaints, I at least like the look and might put up with the stupid thing except that it's covered in touch sensitive crap that you are always hitting as you wrestle with the thing in a parking lot. I've hit turn signals, horn, brights, windshield wipers, voice control, f-ing everything as I wrestle with the thing.

What irritates me most is that Tesla saved themselves a few dollars in switchgear and f-ing ruined an otherwise amazing car.
I was about to pull the trigger but once I noticed the lack of wheel and stalks for signals I decided against it. From usability perspective, it is a downgrade and sometimes even dangerous. You wrote about the horn; signals are another major issues. There are just some very important functions that must be always accessible without thinking and looking. That is why stalks are important - their relative position to the driver never change, regardless of the wheel angle. I can easily see people turning the wrong blinker on, especially, when turning.
Having a yolk is definitely cool and beneficial - on the track, not on the street and not with 2 1/2 turns each way.
All those things seem to be “change for the sake of change”. They would have made a ton of sense if the FSD was more mature. As it stands today, we still need to drive. I would not be surprised if NHTSA is not happy with the whole thing.
Super happy that I got my SLR before the “refresh”.

I wouldn’t be so certain that moving the horn button has anything to do with cost savings. There is a safety argument for it. How much sense does it make to put a button where your airbag deploys? This is particularly true for the same button you are likely to mash right before an impact. Having the horn in the middle is a relic of a time before airbags. I’m not arguing that Tesla’s execution is the best, but I can see what they were thinking.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I wouldn’t be so certain that moving the horn button has anything to do with cost savings. There is a safety argument for it. How much sense does it make to put a button where your airbag deploys? This is particularly true for the same button you are likely to mash right before an impact. Having the horn in the middle is a relic of a time before airbags. I’m not arguing that Tesla’s execution is the best, but I can see what they were thinking.
Three reasons for having the horn in the middle of the wheel
1) It's a Hollywood Requirement, every movie where the victim dies in the car the head activates the horn. What, is the victim going to press a stalk button or make sure to "cover the right side of the yoke" Dead Man Honking - TV Tropes
2) It's immediately findable when in the middle. No other location is just - right there! Buttons, stalks, things that move, all bad when you need to hit the horn at any point in time while the wheel is turning
3) It's somewhat standardized to have it there, or at least it's the most obvious place someone will try to find it (say a child locked in a car, some cars keep the car horn active while the car is switched off)

Some reasons not to have the horn in the middle
1) It takes your hand off the wheel while you're possibly making an avoidance maneuver. Or it makes it hard to press & hold the horn if you're intent on making an avoidance maneuver
2) If the airbag goes off, or even if it doesn't and the car slams into a wall your hand is gonna be connecting with your face
3) Banging the center of the wheel is an aggressive gesture like punching. A bit Psych-101, but I think it activates your anger endorphins more than say squeezing a soft gel rim switch would be (hey there's an idea)

IMO the yoke should at least have a physical button, ideally round, protruding/moving and larger

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
I initially loved the yoke (we traded in a 2018 M3P for 2021 MS LR). Then a month later we got a new M3 for my wife and now I have second thoughts about the yoke 🤣 It sure looks cool and visibility is great but it feels too big making the car feel less sporty (compared to M3) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Every single thing you wrote is 100% true. The new, cheap, asinine primary controls ruined an otherwise perfect car. For me, it’s a dealbreaker. If they don’t bring back sensible controls, my 2015 Model S will, most heartbreakingly, be my last Tesla.

Reactions: _Redshift_

I love the car. Would I prefer blinker stalks and a normal horn ? Sure.. But if I were offered a round wheel with stalks tomorrow, I'd 100% stay with the yoke with buttons. I'm perfectly happy with the car the way it is. Plaid is my all time fav car by a wide margin and I've owned a lot of cars. As my daily driver, there's no other car in the world I'd rather have.

Reactions: DrJ and TexasTezla
Every single thing you wrote is 100% true. The new, cheap, asinine primary controls ruined an otherwise perfect car. For me, it’s a dealbreaker. If they don’t bring back sensible controls, my 2015 Model S will, most heartbreakingly, be my last Tesla.
The car is F amazing even with the dumb horn and blinker buttons.. Totally used to it now - 1200 miles.

I was about to pull the trigger but once I noticed the lack of wheel and stalks for signals I decided against it. From usability perspective, it is a downgrade and sometimes even dangerous. You wrote about the horn; signals are another major issues. There are just some very important functions that must be always accessible without thinking and looking. That is why stalks are important - their relative position to the driver never change, regardless of the wheel angle. I can easily see people turning the wrong blinker on, especially, when turning.
Having a yolk is definitely cool and beneficial - on the track, not on the street and not with 2 1/2 turns each way.
All those things seem to be “change for the sake of change”. They would have made a ton of sense if the FSD was more mature. As it stands today, we still need to drive. I would not be surprised if NHTSA is not happy with the whole thing.
Super happy that I got my SLR before the “refresh”.
It's not dangerous lol. Took me an hour to get used to the Yoke. Now I prefer it. Tesla could have thought a bit more about the blinker buttons but you get used to it.

The yoke is fine. I've become accustomed to it after about 500 miles. I do wish they'd put the blinkers on either side though, one of the right and one on the left. It's just more intuitive than having to slide your left thumb up and down. And going from the yoke to a regular steering wheel is also a non-issue. I have zero problem switching back and forth between my Plaid S and wife's Model Y. It's like picking up a second language!

Can't say anything bad about the yoke either. I pressed the wiper button once and just learned to keep my right thumb away. I've said this in other threads, but if you fundamentally can't use it then you have been driving incorrectly your entire life.

I think the argument of “you will get used to it” is invalid. Humans are super adaptive creatures and we could get used to a lot of things - that does not make them superior.

I think the issue with the yoke (besides the buttons) is that Tesla did not go all the way and switched to shortened or, at least, progressive steering. For those of you “with yokes” - how would you feel if you had only 1/2 turn each way? Would it be better?

I think the argument of “you will get used to it” is invalid. Humans are super adaptive creatures and we could get used to a lot of things - that does not make them superior.

I think the issue with the yoke (besides the buttons) is that Tesla did not go all the way and switched to shortened or, at least, progressive steering. For those of you “with yokes” - how would you feel if you had only 1/2 turn each way? Would it be better?
The yoke is not superior. It’s not inferior either; it’s just different. Early on, I would have preferred progressive steering but now that I’ve adapted I truly don’t care. Turning the yoke over for full steering lock is an easy and fluid motion for me now. I get why Elon is reluctant to offer a conventional wheel because the yoke is not nearly the big deal so many are making it out to be. Going from one vehicle to another usually requires a certain amount of adjustment. This is just one more thing.

Reactions: Drew-MS