Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low VIN - Worries over delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a low production VIN (sub-170) with factory pickup and I'm started to get a bit worried. Trying to figure out if it is justified or not. By its VIN and all indications, the car was produced quite a while ago, but it hasn't been delivered. I try to avoid emailing my DS (probably 3 emails / no calls since November) since I know they are busy. But in an email early last week, he said that it finished production and now undergoing final inspections/QA and expect delivery this week if nothing goes wrong.

I broke down and called my DS yesterday waiting for an update. He didn't have one. He went to the inspection area and couldn't get any info. He was well aware of the production problems on early X's, but he couldn't confirm any info on mine. Clearly Tesla is now producing X's that pass inspections, but it also seems obvious that they are trying to retrofit stuff on "my" car.

I want to keep this car for a long time, but it concerns me that it has problems before it ever left the factory. And are the "fixes" equivalent to the current production level? Frankly I'm not sure any what options I have...and perhaps I'm just venting. But is anyone else in a similar boat or been delivered an early production VIN?

I'm taking delivery of 000247 Thursday afternoon! My view is that they have been working hard to nail the quality issues so with no insight into the "sausage factory" that it may have gone through I'm going to assume they did everything necessary to get it up to production standards. Elon & other execs have been actively testing the cars before releasing them, so I'll take that to mean good things for us. All the recent reports of recent deliveries have been very positive.

I'll have the checklist with me and I'll be inspecting carefully and will report back thursday night.

I wouldn't worry they will make it right and take the checklist with you just to double check. Tesla Model X Checklist
The checklist is fine the problem is things you can't see and problems that arise after you have taken delivery.

1. As several have mentioned there is an update for latching hardware for the two front door. All of a sudden the door won't latch which means the car won't allow you to put it in gear (i.e. D or R) but the screen stays lit. Several forum users have suggested to slam the door real hard. This is not a solution, where it may or may not latch it can cause the door to be misaligned. You can try rebooting, it works sometimes and not other times. It may allow you to get to the SC to get a replacement latch.
  2. There is a known issue with the charging point being or becoming cracked. It is not visible unless the charging port is dimantled.
  3. Another known problem is the headlights will start to flicker. It required a replacement of a power module
  4. There is an issue with a wind noise coming from the front windows when you go faster than 30mph. It gets louder the faster you go. It is related to the alignment of the door and gasket where the movable window abuts the the triangular fixed window.
  5. Water leaking around gasket of the FWDs.
  6. Misalignment of the headlight structure. One side will be slightly above the level of the hood where the other side is slightly below the level of the hood.
When you start to questions things the service person will say "they are within tolerable limits". For example when you say I can hear wind coming around driver's side window, the response is "the window gasket is within tolerable limits".

My opinion is just because there is a know problem does not mean your car will get the part replaced unless your car has experienced the problem. The issue is it may experience the problem in the future.

The local SC doesn't stock parts. Therefore if you have an issue there is at least a three to four day delay (if you are on east coast) to get the part and one day to install. Last time I requested overnight service be used and they honored my request.

I hope this is useful for those who have VIN number under 1100 and have yet to pick up their car.

Reactions: X Fan
I'm taking delivery of 000247 Thursday afternoon! My view is that they have been working hard to nail the quality issues so with no insight into the "sausage factory" that it may have gone through I'm going to assume they did everything necessary to get it up to production standards. Elon & other execs have been actively testing the cars before releasing them, so I'll take that to mean good things for us. All the recent reports of recent deliveries have been very positive.

I'll have the checklist with me and I'll be inspecting carefully and will report back thursday night.

Congrats! My DS says my VIN000229 P90D 7-seat Ultra White hasn't even finished production yet. But everything Tesla is sending/showing me says delivery this month so keeping my fingers crossed.

The checklist is fine the problem is things you can't see and problems that arise after you have taken delivery.

1. As several have mentioned there is an update for latching hardware for the two front door. All of a sudden the door won't latch which means the car won't allow you to put it in gear (i.e. D or R) but the screen stays lit. Several forum users have suggested to slam the door real hard. This is not a solution, where it may or may not latch it can cause the door to be misaligned. You can try rebooting, it works sometimes and not other times. It may allow you to get to the SC to get a replacement latch.
  2. There is a known issue with the charging point being or becoming cracked. It is not visible unless the charging port is dimantled.
  3. Another known problem is the headlights will start to flicker. It required a replacement of a power module
  4. There is an issue with a wind noise coming from the front windows when you go faster than 30mph. It gets louder the faster you go. It is related to the alignment of the door and gasket where the movable window abuts the the triangular fixed window.
  5. Water leaking around gasket of the FWDs.
  6. Misalignment of the headlight structure. One side will be slightly above the level of the hood where the other side is slightly below the level of the hood.
When you start to questions things the service person will say "they are within tolerable limits". For example when you say I can hear wind coming around driver's side window, the response is "the window gasket is within tolerable limits".

My opinion is just because there is a know problem does not mean your car will get the part replaced unless your car has experienced the problem. The issue is it may experience the problem in the future.

The local SC doesn't stock parts. Therefore if you have an issue there is at least a three to four day delay (if you are on east coast) to get the part and one day to install. Last time I requested overnight service be used and they honored my request.

I hope this is useful for those who have VIN number under 1100 and have yet to pick up their car.
This is really scaring me. I recently made a reservation and put down a deposit but I am wondering if I should wait until they have this thing perfected.

Just make sure not to pay until you thoroughly inspect car and note any discrepancies on paperwork. This is very important especially on those production cars less than 1,000. I love the car but concerned about on-going issues.

This is really scaring me. I recently made a reservation and put down a deposit but I am wondering if I should wait until they have this thing perfected.
If you have recently put a reservation down there will another several thousand cars delivered by the time yours is delivered even if you ordered a fully loaded P90DL. If you ordered a 70D or 90D another 5k to 10k will have been delivered. It is the first 1000 I would be concerned with, not they won't make it right, they will, it is just the aggravation having having to go back in forth to the SC which in my case is 130 miles round trip.