Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower Subscription Price Coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's one reason I chose to subscribe rather than buy FSD for our second Tesla.

1000000879.png

Reactions: fholbert
That would be less total revenue.
They’ll get more people to subscribe so it’ll either end up a wash or come out ahead.

Same if they lowered the cost of EAP/FSD by half or more, they’ll get much more takers.

I have the FSD v12 trial and while it’s nifty to play with, I don't think it’s worth anywhere near $12k at this point nor will it be any time soon. I can see $5-6k for FSD and $2-3k for EAP. I would highly consider buying EAP at that point.

The Canadians are hoping that subscription will come to Canada after the FSD trial. It is rumoured to be coming, but hasn't been announced yet. I bet Canadians will take it at the C$ equivalent of the current price because owning here makes less sense than in many US states. Our driving conditions and pot-hole situation makes it less useful to have 100% of the time.

For instance, aside from on divided controlled-access highways, I seldom use even AP for 4 - 5 months of the year. Between salt on the road hiding lane markings, and, on a sunny day, making the windshield salt covered (thus dealing with the sub-par wipers) it often complains it is degraded. With climate change we are getting less snow here but more ice storms, and, to be honest, I'm not confident the car is programmed to handle those conditions given how much torque I have to give in order to get the front motor to kick in so I have AWD on snow covered curves. (That's a big disappointed with my AWD MYLR, I didn't realize AWD was not driver selectable so I could give up range in order to have more control when on snow covered roads. That's on my list for next EV.)

LOL. Yes, an obvious math error. Could subscriptions double if the price were halved? I doubt it.
Not sure about that. I but the take rate now is only in the 5% to <10% range. And I bet it's not 10% but just assume. Then a 25% take rate would be 50% more revenue. $99 a month is a "cable bill" but $200 is more like an "insurance payment". People will pay $99 to see a monkey f a football but $200 is considered a "thinker" before spending.

It may be that Tesla has kept FSD purchase and subscription prices high, as they did not have enough data capability to handle more of the fleet. Now that Dojo is coming on line, perhaps they will be able to handle a larger number of vehicles.

It may be that Tesla has kept FSD purchase and subscription prices high, as they did not have enough data capability to handle more of the fleet. Now that Dojo is coming on line, perhaps they will be able to handle a larger number of vehicles.
Not to sure about Dojo coming on line but Tesla has got a lot more Nvidia up and running. However the computing isn't about "handle the fleet". All cars get the same software and drive independently of the mothership. The compute is about improving the software training.

Reactions: BitJam
Here's one reason I chose to subscribe rather than buy FSD for our second Tesla.

View attachment 1037994
For $99 mo I’ll buy it. If nothing else, just for the better graphics. I drove 220 miles yesterday and 100 miles today. It has a few faults but I like it.

Some Tesla got rear ended on the 91 east bound near the 241. The 241 was backed up to Windy Ridge at 2:30pm. It was creap and stop for 45 minutes, FSD was pretty nice, but I ignored it and got my first strike. When I shut it off at home I got my ass chewed.