Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 years worth of subscription = buying it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hasn't it already happened that cars with FSD "lost" it when it transferred owners?
My wife's used Model Y (bought from a non-Tesla dealer) had FSD (unbeknownst to them, not that they would have realized the value of it anyway--the salesman didn't even know how to get into the car). It still has it today.

I've heard that the premium that FSD commands over non-FSD on the used car market is about $2-3K, so that will tell you what the market actually values it at.

Reading these type of threads makes me realise the lack of thoroughness of average Tesla owners research. “You’re not missing anything” is such basic consideration of the purchase short term. People buying an expensive car thinking short term are already financially irresponsible so I find the discussion ironic.

Anyway you all fail to miss that owning FSD has benefits beyond the software use in the present. Full FSD ownerships means they maintain the hardware at a standard that can support ever improving software in perpetuity. You can’t put a price on this as we don’t know how long that can continue.

e.g. a 2017 Model X bought with FSD got a camera upgrade in 2023 for free. You don’t get that with subscription.

Reading these type of threads makes me realise the lack of thoroughness of average Tesla owners research. “You’re not missing anything” is such basic consideration of the purchase short term. People buying an expensive car thinking short term are already financially irresponsible so I find the discussion ironic.

Anyway you all fail to miss that owning FSD has benefits beyond the software use in the present. Full FSD ownerships means they maintain the hardware at a standard that can support ever improving software in perpetuity. You can’t put a price on this as we don’t know how long that can continue.

e.g. a 2017 Model X bought with FSD got a camera upgrade in 2023 for free. You don’t get that with subscription.
you must be new around here 🤣

Reactions: KArnold

Is that something Tesla promises when you outright buy FSD? I remember that upgrade back then. That was before they mass produced cars (3 & Y). I can't see Tesla doing free hardware upgrades to millions of cars on the road.

Is that something Tesla promises when you outright buy FSD? I remember that upgrade back then. That was before they mass produced cars (3 & Y). I can't see Tesla doing free hardware upgrades to millions of cars on the road.
Not sure if it’s promised but anyone with fully paid FSD could get the upgraded cameras because they need to continue to provide sufficient hardware to keep up with FSD updates or they would brick some FSD abilities in owners who had paid and then theyd be legally in question.

Reading these type of threads makes me realise the lack of thoroughness of average Tesla owners research.
This is the comment that blows me away.
You say you don’t agree. Good for you, lol.
Now try telling me why I’m wrong.
I've had two so far, and there has never been a need to be a FSD owner. Why? The use cases are different for different folks! My case isn't the same as another, and to declare that people don't research.. is SO FAR from true. For my usage, I know exactly why I would never spend thousands to own FSD on a vehicle.

I don't like driving new cars with no warranty. I won't keep an EV for long, as my whole reason for having one is the pure tech of it.. and I'll want to trade over to something different often. I traded in a beat-down, stick, rusted, hailed Subaru for my first Tesla.. I'm just not a car guy and cared very little about the box that drove me from one place to another. For me, Tesla isn't a car - it's pure joy and entertainment for the tech geek in me!

I turn on FSD subscription when I want it, and I cancel RIGHT after I turn it on.. and when it disapates my membership I let it go for a while until some significant change in FSD. I love to drive, and don't need FSD at all - I turn it on to play with it and have fun with a different driving style (I'm the guy that turns it on and off, wherever I know I'm about to not agree with it I turn it off)

It's pretty fun to alternate while driving in between both, and it's been a blast subscribing now and then to see what's new! My next ride will be the Model Y Juniper, so I still have 6-8 months probably before I switch again. And I will in no way waste thousands on FSD as an option at purchase.

But that's *ME* - and that's not for everyone. I just didn't like the air of your comment.. I research and know my gear (whether EV cars, computers, handhelds, coffee, libations, food, pencils pens and paper.. I research well and enjoy the process)

All is well! I'm glad you could laugh at my comment, too many of us get offended so quickly these days.. and sorry for not posting my why beforehand.

Happy thanks!! =)))

This is the comment that blows me away.

I've had two so far, and there has never been a need to be a FSD owner. Why? The use cases are different for different folks! My case isn't the same as another, and to declare that people don't research.. is SO FAR from true. For my usage, I know exactly why I would never spend thousands to own FSD on a vehicle.

I don't like driving new cars with no warranty. I won't keep an EV for long, as my whole reason for having one is the pure tech of it.. and I'll want to trade over to something different often. I traded in a beat-down, stick, rusted, hailed Subaru for my first Tesla.. I'm just not a car guy and cared very little about the box that drove me from one place to another. For me, Tesla isn't a car - it's pure joy and entertainment for the tech geek in me!

I turn on FSD subscription when I want it, and I cancel RIGHT after I turn it on.. and when it disapates my membership I let it go for a while until some significant change in FSD. I love to drive, and don't need FSD at all - I turn it on to play with it and have fun with a different driving style (I'm the guy that turns it on and off, wherever I know I'm about to not agree with it I turn it off)

It's pretty fun to alternate while driving in between both, and it's been a blast subscribing now and then to see what's new! My next ride will be the Model Y Juniper, so I still have 6-8 months probably before I switch again. And I will in no way waste thousands on FSD as an option at purchase.

But that's *ME* - and that's not for everyone. I just didn't like the air of your comment.. I research and know my gear (whether EV cars, computers, handhelds, coffee, libations, food, pencils pens and paper.. I research well and enjoy the process)

All is well! I'm glad you could laugh at my comment, too many of us get offended so quickly these days.. and sorry for not posting my why beforehand.

Happy thanks!! =)))

My point was not about whether FSD is good or not. I said people fail to appreciate the longer term hardware benefits.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I said people fail to appreciate the longer term hardware benefits.

I'm sure HW5 and HW6 will also perform better than HW4, maybe even allowing for real FSD. But it's likely not upgradeable even if you pay for it. Just like HW3 to HW4. Elon already has your money. He doesn't care about offering HW upgrades (even if you pay for it) when he can convince some to buy an entirely new car instead.

You are right - I do not appreciate it.

After just a few days of driving the car through Los Angeles and Orange County traffic, am so happy I did not spend the money of FSD. I had to take over on every single drive I did. It is nerve wrecking because of how erratic is acts. It feels more like driving with a teenager after 1 hour behind the wheel. FSD is to me not worth the price. I really enjoyed AP1 in my 2015 S for road trips on freeways. It made those long hours of driving so much more relaxed and comfortable. The other 10% of driving on surface and city roads I can do just fine myself with far less stress than when FSD is driving. So yeah, I recommend everyone to not buy FSD and do the subscription to see if it does what you want.

After just a few days of driving the car through Los Angeles and Orange County traffic, am so happy I did not spend the money of FSD. I had to take over on every single drive I did. It is nerve wrecking because of how erratic is acts. It feels more like driving with a teenager after 1 hour behind the wheel. FSD is to me not worth the price. I really enjoyed AP1 in my 2015 S for road trips on freeways. It made those long hours of driving so much more relaxed and comfortable. The other 10% of driving on surface and city roads I can do just fine myself with far less stress than when FSD is driving. So yeah, I recommend everyone to not buy FSD and do the subscription to see if it does what you want.
Amen 🙏 to this☝️☝️!!! Join the "I am so happy I did not spend the money o FSD" club.

We are a quickly growing club!!

Especially those of us that have bought in to it 3+ times and see the reality of what is said vs what is actual.

Sadly this still isn't an option for those outside the US. And when I bought my car, subscription wasn't an option.

That said, I recommend everyone do as you are doing, even if the subscription is not available because of one's location. It appears that changes in the HW will continue to be required for full use of 'FSD' (whatever that product turns out to be) and so it is poor use of one's dollars to buy the current offering when the best guess and historical precedent points to Tesla not ever delivering the product as promoted. It is fully possible that the subscription service will be rolled out to more jurisdictions a lot sooner than an FSD version that meets the current marketing promises.

If one has fully bought the Tesla koolaid, I still make the same recommendation but then suggest the person invest in FSD $$$$$ into Tesla stock. If FSD ever does get properly released, then either the capital gain alone, or the capital gain plus the value of the trade-in, will likely cover the cost of a new vehicle with the hardware required to fully utilize the software.

Reactions: boonedocks
If one has fully bought the Tesla koolaid, I still make the same recommendation but then suggest the person invest in FSD $$$$$ into Tesla stock. If FSD ever does get properly released, then either the capital gain alone, or the capital gain plus the value of the trade-in, will likely cover the cost of a new vehicle with the hardware required to fully utilize the software.
Did nobody else buy FSD because they wanted to see it succeed? It is estimated that 3,700 people die in auto accidents every day around the world. Surely throwing some money at a company intent on making autonomy work is worth a little treasure. I thought it was a far more potent act than exercising my single vote at the next election.

Perhaps too few other people have enough treasure to spare to be quite so idealistic about it.

Reactions: redmunds
Did nobody else buy FSD because they wanted to see it succeed? It is estimated that 3,700 people die in auto accidents every day around the world. Surely throwing some money at a company intent on making autonomy work is worth a little treasure. I thought it was a far more potent act than exercising my single vote at the next election.

Perhaps too few other people have enough treasure to spare to be quite so idealistic about it.
I did. One of my daughters friends has slowly gone blind starting around 5th grade. Thought it would be so cool if she could “drive”.

I gave also enjoyed using it. Probably 90% of my driving and I don’t regret the purchase. (But it was a lot cheaper back then).

But I think a one time investment in the future is enough for me.

Reactions: David99 and JB47394
My only experience with auto lane change is from a 1 month subscription to FSD back in 2021. I liked auto lane change after I set it to only change lanes after I confirmed the lane change. IMHO, the car wanted to hop into left lane far too often and then camp there for too long before moving back over to the right lane
Two years later, and FSD is still doing this.

OP, your logic is flawless. Wait for FSD until the juice is worth the squeeze.