Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 years worth of subscription = buying it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it's down to $99 a mont for full self driving. That makes buying it outright even less attractive. In fact I would be upset if I had spent $12k on it just 6 months ago when I got my car. That's 10 years of subscription.

I assume they will lower the price for buying FSD some time later this year as well.
Who knows. The $99 is not guaranteed for 10 years. It could be $250 next year (if by some magic it works to the 99.99999%). I don't see it as cut and dry as that.

Now it's down to $99 a mont for full self driving. That makes buying it outright even less attractive. In fact I would be upset if I had spent $12k on it just 6 months ago when I got my car. That's 10 years of subscription.

I assume they will lower the price for buying FSD some time later this year as well.

It should come down to $50 or a one time $2k just for the upgraded graphics, don't really care for FSD....

It should come down to $50 or a one time $2k just for the upgraded graphics, don't really care for FSD....

We will see what Tesla decides to do. I had 3 months trial with the car with the old version of FSD and it was so bad I didn't even bother doing the subscription. Basic auto steer with TACC worked fine for me. The new version is far better. I have been testing it for over 2000 miles. I feel like it is actually on the right track to become a working system.

My absolute favorite feature is the automatic lane change in FSD or advanced autopilot. It's doing such an amazing job looking for all the other cars around me and safely changes lanes. It takes out the stress of changing lanes on high traffic multi lane freeways. Especially city freeways with lots of on and off ramps and cars changing lanes everywhere constantly. I think it's a major safety feature that I'm willing to pay $99 a month for.

Reactions: FastEddieB

My guess is Tesla is going to keep transferable FSD at current price and have a non-transferable option at half the price. This structure would make sense:

Subscription: $100/month
Non-transferable outright purchase: $6k
Transferable outright purchase: $12k

By transferable, I mean transferable to other cars. By non-transferable, I mean FSD stays with the car regardless of ownership.

I would appreciate it but still wouldn’t pay $250 a month for it 🤷🏻‍♂️
...and almost no one would and the take rate would plummet. That is just too much money for an add on consumer service no matter how well it drives. I bet the $99 sticks since it is in the sweet spot of what people are willing to (relatively) easy pay vs need to budget and planing for.

$99 fall in the "gym membership" or "streaming service" price that can become a subscribe and forget. But >$150 is an evaluate every month and decide to keep or not.

Last edited:
I would appreciate it but still wouldn’t pay $250 a month for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

You wouldn’t because it’s not worth it to you, but many would because it’s worth it to them. Not everyone wants a car that drives itself, but there is a significant number of people who would be happy to pay to be able to work, to read, or to eat while on a drive. I for one would pay 8 bucks a day to get an hour of the day back.