Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 years worth of subscription = buying it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
At $199, I can subscribe to FSD for 5 years before the total cost is equal. I'm likely switching cars in 5 years. I'm also not paying the full amount up front. I might pause the subscriptions 2 months of the year where I'm on vacation or just don't drive much, making the total time longer than 5 years. What am I missing. Why would I want to buy FSD with a vehicle?

At $199, I can subscribe to FSD for 5 years before the total cost is equal. I'm likely switching cars in 5 years. I'm also not paying the full amount up front. I might pause the subscriptions 2 months of the year where I'm on vacation or just don't drive much, making the total time longer than 5 years. What am I missing. Why would I want to buy FSD with a vehicle?
It makes perfect sense, assuming that Tesla does not change the subscription price (which they have not since it was introduced) and that you do not plan to keep the car more than five years. It also assumes that a purchased FSD adds little or nothing to the residual value of the car when you sell it, which is also a reasonable assumption for a five year old car.

Reactions: David99 and RTPEV
When I upgraded my Model S this year, I decided to buy EAP for $6k and subscribe to FSD for $100/month, but only when I needed it or when it becomes compelling enough (it isn’t yet in my opinion). I subscribed for a couple of months for a road trip but canceled afterwards. I had purchased FSD on my previous car (for a lot less than the current price).

To answer the previous comment, yes you can purchase FSD at any time.

Reactions: GSP and David99
That's the way to go. I wouldn't be surprised if FSD came down in price.

Reactions: David99
Thanks everyone. I am coming from an AP1 Model S and have been happy with the capabilities because I drive most of my miles on long trip on freeways and highways. It works fine for that. I do little urban and city driving. I think I'll actually be fine with the basic AP features for the most part and just subscribe to FSD when I feel like it.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks everyone. I am coming from an AP1 Model S and have been happy with the capabilities because I drive most of my miles on long trip on freeways and highways. It works fine for that. I do little urban and city driving. I think I'll actually be fine with the basic AP features for the most part and just subscribe to FSD when I feel like it.
The only thing you’ll miss that your AP1 car had is Auto Lane Change. That’s probably the only reason I paid for EAP in my new car.

The only thing you’ll miss that your AP1 car had is Auto Lane Change. That’s probably the only reason I paid for EAP in my new car.
So that's actually one thing I' a bit confused about. My old S with AP1 had lane change when I use the blinker. It would not automatically change lanes to pass a slower vehicle in front of me. Does the basic autopilot with HW4 not even do that?

To answer the previous comment, yes you can purchase FSD at any time.
Is it the same price and can you use a credit card?

I think the only reason to buy up front is if you think it’s going to get so good it will go up in price…. Of course competition will be pushing the other way. It’s a gamble but one way does have more money in your own pocket for longer.

So that's actually one thing I' a bit confused about. My old S with AP1 had lane change when I use the blinker. It would not automatically change lanes to pass a slower vehicle in front of me. Does the basic autopilot with HW4 not even do that?

Autopilot does not change lanes. Period.

Enhanced Autopilot has auto lane change (and navigate on autopilot, summon, and some other parking gimmick). This means it'll change lanes when you signal, or if you're brave enough to let the car decide, it'll do it by itself.

My only experience with auto lane change is from a 1 month subscription to FSD back in 2021. I liked auto lane change after I set it to only change lanes after I confirmed the lane change. IMHO, the car wanted to hop into left lane far too often and then camp there for too long before moving back over to the right lane.

I think enhanced autopilot is lame at the current $6k price. I'd pay $2k this very second for navigate on autopilot and auto lane change, but I will not spend $6k to get that and then some useless gimmicks that are bundled with them currently.

I think enhanced autopilot is lame at the current $6k price. I'd pay $2k this very second for navigate on autopilot and auto lane change, but I will not spend $6k to get that and then some useless gimmicks that are bundled with them currently.
100% agree. The equivalent package (excluding "summon") as EAP is max 2-3k (and sometimes even included in the base price) from all other OEM:s. And with most of those systems you can change lanes using the steering wheel without disengaging the ADAS too, which I prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTPEV and E90alex
Is it the same price and can you use a credit card?

I think the only reason to buy up front is if you think it’s going to get so good it will go up in price…. Of course competition will be pushing the other way. It’s a gamble but one way does have more money in your own pocket for longer.
Yes, same price and you can use a credit card. Current price in the US is $12k if you have basic AP, $6k if you already paid for EAP.

Previous FSD price changes have been announced ahead of time, so you don’t have to buy now to lock in the current price. However, the longer you wait, the less sense it makes to purchase outright since you’re not going to keep the car long enough to make it worthwhile. If FSD becomes good enough to pay for, subscribe.

At $199, I can subscribe to FSD for 5 years before the total cost is equal. I'm likely switching cars in 5 years. I'm also not paying the full amount up front. I might pause the subscriptions 2 months of the year where I'm on vacation or just don't drive much, making the total time longer than 5 years. What am I missing.
I think that’s a very rational choice. I don‘t know your financial situation, but if you enjoy playing games you could subscribe and take the cost of FSD and invest it instead. Maybe in Tesla stock, but many other choices out there, including bonds right now. IOW, by paying a large amount up front for FSD, you’re also losing the opportunity cost of that money.

Agree on purchase quick or don’t bother.

Guess one difference might be if auto registration tax is different from local sales tax. And the second would be having a window sticker to confirm purchase in case of future questions/issues.

Looks like Texas is 6.25% for auto registration and my area is 8.25% for sales tax.

Reactions: JB47394

There could be a couple of potential reasons to buy FSD:
1. The $199/month subscription price may go up which means you wouldn't be able to get five years of FSD for under $12k. Of course, it could also go down.
2. FSD could have resale value at time of sale/trade whereas a subscription would have no resale value.

Actually way more than "makes sense". You can wait and pay $199 a month when something decent and worthwhile is released.

I have purchased FSD 3 times and did NOT on my 2021 refresh S. Subscribed for 6 months and dropped it and now only use the base AutoPilot. It works 90% of what I liked about the FSD Beta at -0- cost. One thing that is super nice is when on the expressway for instance when you turn on the blinker and change lanes AutoPilot releases steering control to you with absolutely zero effort. A nice surprise to me.

I will wait for the 🔥🔥🔥 as promised by the 🤡 before picking up the subscription again.

I drive a LOT and do not miss the current and preceding versions at all!!

There could be a couple of potential reasons to buy FSD:
1. The $199/month subscription price may go up which means you wouldn't be able to get five years of FSD for under $12k. Of course, it could also go down.

2. FSD could have resale value at time of sale/trade whereas a subscription would have no resale value.
OR you could just wait and there will probably be another fire sale and you can get it at a discount.