TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

LR AWD AP vs. LR RWD FSD (April 2019)

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Three3, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:
?

LR AWD AP vs LR RWD FSD

1. LR AWD AP

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. LR RWD FSD

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Three3

Three3 Member

Hi All,

Apologies for another one of these threads but I don’t think I’ve seen this exact comparison at the current prices.

Now that HW3 is on the car I’m leaning toward ordering a LR AWD AP (and then waiting to see if FSD goes on sale and/or becomes available as a subscription at some point after).

My other option would be LR RWD with FSD.

AWD AP pros:

-better acceleration/traction/regen
    -more even wear on tires
    -cheaper (insurance would go up some but still cheaper overall by a tiny bit)

RWD FSD pros:

-more range
    -get to have the cool toy, e.g., FSD, now, and at a definitive price

As I said I’m leaning toward the AWD since I think I would regret not getting that trim and then seeing it potentially drop below the current RWD price in a few months. In theory FSD could go up and up in price but I also think it’s just as likely it goes down for a point or is offered as a subscription (which even if ultimately more expensive is appealing given the flexibility).

Anything I’m forgetting? Other viewpoints?

2. gobble

gobble Member

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I'd compare AWD vs. RWD separately from FSD vs. non-FSD.

My personal opinion, and what I'm considering, is that AWD isn't worth the extra price or range penalty and FSD doesn't currently do anything useful and won't for quite some time.

Even though I need to be able to drive from Milwaukee to Chicago, I'm considering downgrading to the SR+ and finding a charge when I'm there. The ~$10k difference is too much for 100 miles of extra range. Even with that range, no M3 is worth $50k+. There are much better cars out there at that price point.

3. Three3

Three3 Member

Thanks, that’s helpful re thinking about the two separately.

I keep hoping they release a new MR with about 275 miles range at around $41-42K including autopilot. That would be something to think about.

4. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

I voted for AWD AP simply because FSD isn't worth the cost right now, and may not be worth it for years to come.

An alternative is RWD with nothing. But I like AP and I use it a lot.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Elon mad reference that FWD may start increasing price dramatically starting May.

• Like x 1
  6. gobble

gobble Member

You can't believe anything he says any more. He's just a salesman/conman.

• Disagree x 1
  7. Dre78

Dre78 Supporting Member

AWD. Hitting accelerator always makes my toddler excitedly squeal in pure joy!

• Like x 1