Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD AP vs. LR RWD FSD (April 2019)

LR AWD AP vs LR RWD FSD

• LR AWD AP

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • LR RWD FSD

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Apologies for another one of these threads but I don’t think I’ve seen this exact comparison at the current prices.

Now that HW3 is on the car I’m leaning toward ordering a LR AWD AP (and then waiting to see if FSD goes on sale and/or becomes available as a subscription at some point after).

My other option would be LR RWD with FSD.

AWD AP pros:

-better acceleration/traction/regen
-more even wear on tires
-cheaper (insurance would go up some but still cheaper overall by a tiny bit)

RWD FSD pros:

-more range
-get to have the cool toy, e.g., FSD, now, and at a definitive price

As I said I’m leaning toward the AWD since I think I would regret not getting that trim and then seeing it potentially drop below the current RWD price in a few months. In theory FSD could go up and up in price but I also think it’s just as likely it goes down for a point or is offered as a subscription (which even if ultimately more expensive is appealing given the flexibility).

Anything I’m forgetting? Other viewpoints?

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I'd compare AWD vs. RWD separately from FSD vs. non-FSD.

My personal opinion, and what I'm considering, is that AWD isn't worth the extra price or range penalty and FSD doesn't currently do anything useful and won't for quite some time.

Even though I need to be able to drive from Milwaukee to Chicago, I'm considering downgrading to the SR+ and finding a charge when I'm there. The ~$10k difference is too much for 100 miles of extra range. Even with that range, no M3 is worth $50k+. There are much better cars out there at that price point.