Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Bar strength verses AT&T LTE phone strength?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a classic that was upgraded to LTE and recently took a road trip where I had to use my AT&T LTE phone as a hotspot most of the trip to have connectivity....

I seem to mostly see two less bars when comparing the cars signal strength verses the phones.

Does everyone else either see a one to one strength ratio or some difference?

You know I was just wondering about this in my 90D???? I have an appointment tomorrow at the service center to fix a seatbelt so I'll ask them about why my LTE always seems to have 1 bar. Now granted, my primary audio source is streaming internet radio and I rarely have drop outs but the presumable "lack" of signal strength has gotten my attention...

Jeff

No. What the bars represent are up to the software developer.
Indeed. Some may recall awhile back there being a number of complaints about poor signal strength on iPhones. Apple had changed their algorithms to, what they believed, more accurately represented the full spectrum of working signal strengths. They got so many complaints they simply put the old algorithm back in the next update. The complaints stopped.

We might be seeing something similar here, though perhaps in the opposite direction.