Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air 360 deg view.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The closest he ever came was saying he underestimated humans for battery production, but I've yet to see/hear/read about Elon actually publicly admitting he was wrong.
Don't forget this:
"I'm not sure anyone should have made this car," he said at a press conference just hours before the first Model Xs were delivered to VIP customers.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Or this tweet “Generalized self-driving is a hard problem, as it requires solving a large part of real-world AI. Didn’t expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect.” Although he’s kinda saying he is right even in being wrong.

I think it’s becoming increasing clear this is still a very long way off. Maybe Tesla genuinely thought they could do this at one point, but there is really no reason to think this is just a more data/bigger network problem anymore.

Tesla should to own up to this, but I don’t think they are able to. They’ve painted themselves into a corner.
More accurately, they've painted many of their customers into a corner....

Reactions: jpk195
Or this tweet “Generalized self-driving is a hard problem, as it requires solving a large part of real-world AI. Didn’t expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect.” Although he’s kinda saying he is right even in being wrong.
Doesn't appear to be as bright as I thought: the whole AI industry has worked on hype for years, or, more accurately, on optimism.
Anyone whose driven a car in city traffic can see just how non-trivial it is: actions that we stupid, slow, error-prone humans do without even thinking about them are considered "edge" cases in the AI world.

Reactions: Spuzzz
October 3, 2020, Musk says 360 degree view is coming to FSD. Has something changed, other than the inevitable Tesla delays?
Right I remember this one, it's stupid, because if you have true full self-driving the car parks itself, and you don't need birds eye. They should just make this available to everyone. It's just making a composite image from the camera's on the car, it's not rocket science.

Right I remember this one, it's stupid, because if you have true full self-driving the car parks itself, and you don't need birds eye. They should just make this available to everyone. It's just making a composite image from the camera's on the car, it's not rocket science.
From what I have read, Tesla’s cameras do not see angles that close to the car. Good for autonomous driving but has some blind spots up close where you need them for Birdseye. So I expect when and if a birdeseye view is released for it to be clunky and have sketchy or missing details.

Reactions: DCEV and scrapps
Right, I believe cameras under mirrors would be needed as well.
For my road rash use case that is exactly what is needed. I put in one of the custom front cameras and it does little for me wrt parking as the sides are not seen and it's kind of hard to really get an idea of where you are height wise in terms of parking bumpers and curbs. And then there is the hole "car settles after parking" thing which has left me scraping to get off a curb before.:(

Those dozen or so Lucid owners must be dunking super hard right now, having achieved EV par with a Chrysler Pacifica for only $160 grand.

What a bizarre statement.

I bet they are as happy with their car as any Tesla owner and I wish the Lucid owners nothing but the best and may they love their cars at least as much as we love our Teslas. Wish the same for the lucky Rivian customers.

The better question is why our Teslas don't have 360 view like a Chrysler Pacifica. I bitch every time I have to maneuver in a tight parking garage. Especially the new ones they make with super tight curved ramps with high curbs.

I bet they are as happy with their car as any Tesla owner and I wish the Lucid owners nothing but the best and may they love their cars at least as much as we love our Teslas. Wish the same for the lucky Rivian customers.

Me too. I just find the “dunking” sentiment an odd one when talking about a common feature present on a fantastically expensive car from a company that has currently delivered fewer vehicles than I have fingers and toes.

Nobody buys cars based on the presence of a 360 degree parking camera, save maybe the aforementioned minivan drivers. ;) Tesla’s current order book would seem to confirm that. Is it still a “dunk” if it’s in a game nobody else is concerned with?

Reactions: mark95476
According to Elon it's a waste of time, since all Teslas will be full-self-driving (as in Level 5 Driverless, not the 2019 or later definition of FSD), so investing in any driver assists is just throw-away work, hence not done at Tesla. Lucid is not the first either, check out some BMW surround and 3d surround. Heck, even Nissan Leaf had surround view back in 2013. Elon always thinks Teslas are going Level 5 autonomous any day now, so it's only logical not to do throw-away work.
if that were the case it would be free or part of what comes with the car. Like purchasing 10k for digital unable to physical see a birds eye view that you can not use when not using self drive. Honestly agree with the masses on this one, its stupid not to have it especially seeing every stop light, cone or just able anything digitally on the front screen.

Me too. I just find the “dunking” sentiment an odd one when talking about a common feature present on a fantastically expensive car from a company that has currently delivered fewer vehicles than I have fingers and toes.

Nobody buys cars based on the presence of a 360 degree parking camera, save maybe the aforementioned minivan drivers. ;) Tesla’s current order book would seem to confirm that. Is it still a “dunk” if it’s in a game nobody else is concerned with?
Surely not the reason but its sure a nice feature once you have it. So is soft closed doors too lol.

From what I have read, Tesla’s cameras do not see angles that close to the car. Good for autonomous driving but has some blind spots up close where you need them for Birdseye. So I expect when and if a birdeseye view is released for it to be clunky and have sketchy or missing details.
Also Tesla cameras are not in the correct location for birds eye. Especially the front as there is no low level view (ie on or below bumper). Can’t do full 360 view without (and no, the forward camera above the rearview mirror won’t work for 360 as it can’t see front of bumper)

Why are you hung up on a simple phrase? Didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibility. But I suspect you get the gist of what I was saying. If you think I'm wrong and it was the best choice for Tesla to not provide the feature, then cool, argue that point. From my perspective, Lucid (and other direct competitors such as with the Porsche Taycan and Ford Mach E) deserve credit for providing a useful tool, and it leaves Tesla a bit flat-footed in this regard. Musk has himself bleated about how we were going to get this feature. Maybe we'll get some version eventually.

Never said it was a deal breaker or that it would turn the tide on car sales. But my rims would be thankful to have the option to aid in avoiding curb rash.

Reactions: DCEV
They should just make this available to everyone. It's just making a composite image from the camera's on the car, it's not rocket science.

No rocketry involved, but it is really hard when the cameras are not located in the correct places. Since Tesla chose not to install a camera in the front bumper or cameras pointing down from side mirrors, there are huge blind spots on the ground directly in front and directly to the side. The places you want to see the most in a bird-eye view are not covered by any of the cameras.

Birds eye view is not happening unless tesla adds some more cameras. The idea that you can fill in the blanks from what the cameras saw previously requires that you assume that the conditions have not changed since the cameras last saw the area. That is a reasonable assumption for autopilot to make when cruising down the highway, but it is not so reasonable when you have been parked for 2 days and you the cameras are still showing you what the immediate vicinity looked like 2 days ago.

October 3, 2020, Musk says 360 degree view is coming to FSD. Has something changed, other than the inevitable Tesla delays?
Yet another example of Elon speak and people hearing what they want to hear. He is VERY literal. In this particular story, read exactly what Elon said:
1636369840404.png

He meant the VECTOR-SPACE bird's eye view, which is what the FSD visualization is today. Already delivered. Elon never said bird's-eye stitched-camera-images type of birds eye view is coming, he even specifically said just "vector space", which just shows what the car sees and recognizes, or guesses what is around it.

People really need to learn to take Elon as literally as linguistically possible. Another example, FSD capable care are FSD "capable", as in they have the potential, but they will likely never realize that potential, much like the 691hp P85D's motor power potential (which could not be achieved because the battery and its fuse limited the power to the motors to 463hp, but hey, Elon and Tesla never said the car would produce that power, only that the motors were 691hp motors, right?)

Yet another example of Elon speak and people hearing what they want to hear. He is VERY literal. In this particular story, read exactly what Elon said:
View attachment 730580
He meant the VECTOR-SPACE bird's eye view, which is what the FSD visualization is today. Already delivered. Elon never said bird's-eye stitched-camera-images type of birds eye view is coming, he even specifically said just "vector space", which just shows what the car sees and recognizes, or guesses what is around it.

People really need to learn to take Elon as literally as linguistically possible. Another example, FSD capable care are FSD "capable", as in they have the potential, but they will likely never realize that potential, much like the 691hp P85D's motor power potential (which could not be achieved because the battery and its fuse limited the power to the motors to 463hp, but hey, Elon and Tesla never said the car would produce that power, only that the motors were 691hp motors, right?)
I disagree. The way the cameras are arranged. 360 degree view would have to be a vector space visualization in parts. We do not have a bird's eye view in the current implementation. We have what we had when Musk made his comment, nothing more. He was responding to a request for 360 degree view, so more is supposed to happen. Whether it will, I will agree, is anyone's guess. Lucid's implementation may move things along at Tesla.

I've never had this feature before in any car so i may not understand if there is a demand for it but not once have i thought "Oh man! this park job would have been a whole lot easier if i had a birds eye view."
I understand it's a nice thing to have but if you are using curb rash as your ****en reason as to why you need it, then you need to learn how to park. I have never curbed my wheels before and am always confused how people do it.

Yes it's a great feature to have but it's not that big if a necessity. There is one was to convince tesla to maybe implement it though. You just go and buy the Lucid. I'm sure if you all go and buy a Lucid, he would be convinced to switch. (Also might help me get my model S faster... ignore that)

I need it to show where the parking block is in the front of the car when parking forward. Just like the stopping line on the road that is displayed, this would be predicted on the position of the parking block as you pull into the parking space, since it would eventually disappear from camera view as you approach the parking block. The stopping line on the road also disappears, but it is shown in the visualization. This would be most helpful for not scrapping the low front of the car on the parking block, or observing the forward parking line when parallel parking. For some reason, I have trouble finding these two limits when parking. I need help. :)