TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Lucid Motors Air production car revealed - finally competition for Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Dec 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So - if Lucid actually has the funding to see this project through then it might help move Tesla to build a second generation Model S sooner rather than later. The interior roominess of the Air is what appeals to me - when the kids get bigger they'll be much happier to ride in the back of something like this than the S.

New Lucid Air is a 1,000bhp EV to beat Tesla

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 12.12.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 12.11.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 12.11.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 12.11.11 PM.png

• Informative x 1
  2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Seems to be going after a different market than the Model S.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

welcome to the party! I hope that they make a great car and it sells well

• Like x 5
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

They claim to be taking deposits now - and the chief engineer was one of the Model S designers. BMW exec in charge of manufacturing.

5. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Not sure. Seems to be a direct competitor to the p100d as it currently stands. Sure a year from now the p100d would be dated and maybe something else will be out from T esla but as it currently stands. 100kwh-130kwh battery with 1000+ hp AWD and all the features the model s p100d has for around $160K for their high end model. Seems like it fits the bill of a direct competitor.

However seems like they are still vaporware for now. But we will have to see.

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

It seems like an Executive car for the Chinese market to me, but time will tell.

• Like x 6
  7. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

how will they distribute these cars? online only? Very capital intensive to have company owned stores and will likely have to go through the same battles Tesla did. Many of the states that allowed Tesla to directly sell, did so as one time exemptions. Should be interesting!

8. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

If it was for the chinese market, then they would have to pay $$ to import the cars that are manufactured in Arizona. Isn't that why a lot of mainstream manufacturers have JV's with chinese brands- to get around these taxes? You wouldn't build in the US to export to China unless you were going to sell a significant amount of vehicles in the US.

9. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

They claim they are opening stores in the U.S. next year. $700M factory in AZ. Supposedly 12% more efficiency from drivetrain than any existing EV's. Strange ownership chain - it leads back to the same Chinese billionaire who is also backing Faraday Future (which seems to be in trouble itself).

I would not be surprised to see Lucid and Faraday both fail - but competition would be great. Tesla must be working on a second generation Model S by now.

10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm tempted to put down a deposit - when oh when will I learn my lesson about not buying any first year production automobiles.

• Funny x 4
  11. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I do like the rear seating area - but the looks don't appeal to me. It doesn't flow like a Model S.

• Like x 2
  12. reghoustonguy

reghoustonguy Member

I wonder how their Autopilot is going to be. Big selling point for my Tesla was having the hardware capable of full autonomous driving. Guess I would assume Lucid wouldn't have anything less.

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I hope they become a part of the Tesla Supercharger system. They will need that infrastructure.

• Like x 2
  14. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Don't need to. Here is CCS/chadmeo at 350KW charging. Granted it will open in 2017. But it will be capable of much faster rate compared to Tesla. I wonder if the LUCID car can charge at these stations at faster rate than tesla's 110KW stations.

EVgo Breaks Ground On The First Public High-Power Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Connecting Los Angeles And Las Vegas At World's Tallest Thermometer

15. Max*

Max* Not Banned

That car looks slick. I hope it's not vaporware, and I agree, in order for an EV to succeed they need to have a charging network. If Tesla let's them in (i.e. they contribute their fair share in expanding the superchargers), it could be a real competitor.

If Chademo becomes more... reliable, could be a real competitor too.

Otherwise, I'm not buying a $100k+ city car.

• Like x 2
  16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

It is my understanding that purchasing Chinese made products, such as vehicles, isn't desirable among the wealthy...so I would think the vehicle being built in the US may be a positive, despite the added cost of importation.

I was also under the impression that the company has Chinese backing.

17. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Is there going to be a version that has a rear bench seat for 3 instead of the 2 "executive" seats? Otherwise, offering only a 4-seater will limit its market.

18. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

If this thing becomes real, Tesla is going to have to up its game.

19. Max*

Max* Not Banned

A yes, the P130D with a 0-60 in 2.2 seconds.

Because non-shiny things like maps, media, etc. come last

• Funny x 1
  20. kort677

kort677 Active Member

great, competition spurs innovations always benefits the end user

• Like x 2