Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luck of the Draw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

groovidad

Living the Dream!
Oct 19, 2018
Ewa Beach, HI
I'm sitting here, sipping a 12 yr Scotch, thinking about the “negativity “ I’ve seen. I would never discount the troubles our family has encountered. What I can say is: I must be lucky! I had no fit & finish issues at delivery. I’ve had 3 soft reboots. Otherwise, a very uneventful experience. I know that I’m fortunate to have a stellar experience yet, not everyone has. All I can say is, don’t give up, don’t settle for less. You bought into the dream and, if you believe in it, you will have your day! Just remember that you are on the leading edge of the evolution. WE will change the world!

Yeah, I know........I can’t know the pain and frustration. Believe me, I’m there with you all. You made the RIGHT DECISION! You will be on the right side of history! Green is GOOD!

Been 3 weeks since delivery for me, although there are some minor imperfections on my car, and did not receive the experience expected, I consider myself lucky anyway. My order and delivery was within 13 days! Service Center appointment on 6/14, hopefully a positive experience there
I’ve learned a lot from this forum, thanks to the insights and opinions of well-meaning individuals. Not sure about some posters, ignoring the negative comments are now part of my norm. Glad to be part of this family!

Reactions: DOC52 and Matt L
If you get one you are happy with and doesn't have issues, you generally have a good experience. If you send it through the service experience very often and are particular, you learn quickly about the dysfunctional back-end of Tesla. It is what it is, but they generally try hard to do everything they can to help you out. Glad you and plenty of others have had great experiences with Tesla. The driving experience is wonderful of ICE!

Last edited:
Over the last decade, my wife and I have bought 6. We have been lucky 6 times! All have been fantastic cars. (My Dad and a lot of friends have them too...and they are all just as lucky! Well, I can think of one Roadster acquaintance that has had several issues).

Maybe it's not luck? While there are obviously cars with real issues, I think the main problem is reality vs perception on how common the problems really are. Tesla's owner satisfaction rate is higher than any other car, so comparatively speaking there can only be so many awful ones out there.

I'm sitting here, sipping a 12 yr Scotch, thinking about the “negativity “ I’ve seen. I would never discount the troubles our family has encountered. What I can say is: I must be lucky! I had no fit & finish issues at delivery. I’ve had 3 soft reboots. Otherwise, a very uneventful experience. I know that I’m fortunate to have a stellar experience yet, not everyone has. All I can say is, don’t give up, don’t settle for less. You bought into the dream and, if you believe in it, you will have your day! Just remember that you are on the leading edge of the evolution. WE will change the world!

Yeah, I know........I can’t know the pain and frustration. Believe me, I’m there with you all. You made the RIGHT DECISION! You will be on the right side of history! Green is GOOD!
We know the troubles you have - your scotch is only 12! :)

Reminds me of a joke: I like my scotch like I like my women. 18 years old and mixed up with coke.:eek:

I researched my Model 3 purchase for a month or so prior to finding my "dream" Tesla in local inventory. I had read all sorts of horror stories about overall build quality, problems with initial quality at delivery, lackadaisical delivery standards, etc. so my expectations were quite low and my threshold for what issues I would be willing to tolerate was quite high.

I was blown away by the car when I took delivery (in Littleton CO). My delivery advisor was friendly, excited and detail oriented. I arrived at my delivery appointment early and the car wasn't out of the detail shop yet, so I snuck around and took a peek. They had a detailing staff of 3 people going over the car with an LED light inspecting for any paint defects prior to delivery.

When they pulled the car around it was 100% flawless. I have owned Lexus, BMW, etc and hands down the Tesla was the most perfect condition I have ever taken delivery of. No issues whatsoever. I have now owned the car a week and put 750 miles on it and have yet to find the most minor glitch or issue. To say I am pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, I am thrilled with the car.

MyModel3.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Appleaday
I've had zero issues too and I'm very happy with the purchase. It's a nice car and all, but I don't worship it like many do. I'm not doing a ceramic coating. I don't take up 2 spaces in the parking lot. I wash it when it needs it really bad, but not 3x a week. I bought the performance model with ALL options too. Super fun to drive!!! Dream car? Probably not. New Tesla roadster maybe!!!

I don't think it's luck of the draw or a squeaky wheel syndrome. I think it's what every individual finds acceptable which is very personal.

I live in the Bay area and I've looked closely at hundreds of Teslas (S, X and 3). I've found what I consider major build quality issues on EVERY one. Mostly the owners didn't see them and, in the beginning, I would point them out. Once you see them you can't un-see them. I've since stopped showing people.

I didn't look too closely at the pictures in this thread, but even on a quick glance I can see a few pretty major alignment defects: Day 1 of 2 Ceramic coating/Very impressed with build quality (pics)

Tesla's (model 3 specifically) are an amazing balance of incredible technology and "thrifty" engineering to make an amazing and affordable car. Thankfully the motors are the best in the business and the exterior build quality is superficial.

We've been lucky as well. Part of me has been waiting for some major catastrophe or build defect to surface, but all the issues we encountered were pretty minor and easily addressed, the worst of which was an out "signature" light taken care of by mobile service. The rest were mild paint defects at delivery, some I took care of myself and some we easily live with. 25K miles in there haven't been any other issues to speak of.

I do know that a collision would be bad, bad news in terms of parts availability, so just hoping that we don't end up in one. I think that's the real luck of the draw more than anything else.

Genuinely curious, please explain how you can spot major alignment defects from the pictures in that thread.

The car looks beautiful btw it's seems to have less flaws than I normally see.

I could be off due to camera angles:

1) It looks like where the A pillar reaches the front side panel, it isn't even with the pillar (it drops below a pretty good amount). It looks this way on both sides (different pics).
2) Where the front bumper meets the driver side by the hood... the gap is different than the other side and it looks like the bumper is lower on both sides.
3) I can't tell what it is, but that paint defect speaks for itself
4) The door window frame: it looks like the back isn't flush (it sits higher) to the front door. In fact it looks like the whole front door is higher.
5) The gaps around the door are pretty big and different widths front and back (both sides).
6) The lower panel (under the doors) looks like it isn't flush with the door.

The car looks beautiful btw it's seems to have less flaws than I normally see.

I could be off due to camera angles:

1) It looks like where the A pillar reaches the front side panel, it isn't even with the pillar (it drops below a pretty good amount). It looks this way on both sides (different pics).
2) Where the front bumper meets the driver side by the hood... the gap is different than the other side and it looks like the bumper is lower on both sides.
3) I can't tell what it is, but that paint defect speaks for itself
4) The door window frame: it looks like the back isn't flush (it sits higher) to the front door. In fact it looks like the whole front door is higher.
5) The gaps around the door are pretty big and different widths front and back (both sides).
6) The lower panel (under the doors) looks like it isn't flush with the door.

Umm none of those meet my definition of “major”