Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous? RWD 70?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I am wrong but I think Tesla really did right by P85D owners offering the $10,000 upgrade option for only $5,000. That's giving your existing customers preference over new ones, something that's rarely done these days.

is this correct pay $5k for something on web they are asking for $13k? its a battery plus software...if that is case than yes its great deal.. it just seems to good to be true and a lot of folks will be lining up for batteries..

What happened to the boldfaced portion of this footnote to Tesla's P85D specs that was removed from Tesla's web site not that long ago?

"The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete."

Today Musk announced a $10,000 Ludicrous Speed update. It wasn't exactly the "over-the-air firmware update" that was promised above. Am I not reading this correctly?

Are you going to ask this in *every* thread?

is this correct pay $5k for something on web they are asking for $13k? its a battery plus software...if that is case than yes its great deal.. it just seems to good to be true and a lot of folks will be lining up for batteries..

Other articles are saying that $5k is the *parts price* for the new fuses, for existing P85D owners wanting to upgrade.

So you also need to pay for labor, and more importantly you also need to buy a brand new 90kWh battery and sell your second hand 85kWh battery back to Tesla.

Other articles are saying that $5k is the *parts price* for the new fuses, for existing P85D owners wanting to upgrade.

So you also need to pay for labor, and more importantly you also need to buy a brand new 90kWh battery and sell your second hand 85kWh battery back to Tesla.

ok thats more in line with what was thinking.. its like the old + upgrade that ran ~20k..i hope they provide more details on the battery swap

Anyone else surprised that additional RWD models were added (many speculated the RWD 85 would be eliminated)? I guess that helps with the entry price point.
I am not surprised, I'm pleased. With the 70D announcement some have claimed that Tesla was phasing out RWD cars. I never thought that was a good idea. The new Model S 70 price point is a good thing. It's the old 60 price but you get a lot more.
This should kill the speculation that the Model 3 base version will be Dual Motor. But it probably won't...

I am not surprised, I'm pleased. With the 70D announcement some have claimed that Tesla was phasing out RWD cars. I never thought that was a good idea. The new Model S 70 price point is a good thing. It's the old 60 price but you get a lot more.
This should kill the speculation that the Model 3 base version will be Dual Motor. But it probably won't...
They may have seen higher RWD 85 sales than expected after the 70D introduction. A lot of the luxury car buying public prefer their big sedans to be RWD. I know I have little to no need for AWD where I live. Realistically, I'd probably buy a RWD P85 again if it were an option.

They already announced the Model 3 was RWD, with Dual optional.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...AWD-optional?p=1034878&viewfull=1#post1034878

He has a point.

I don't agree. Tesla delivered on their promise to boost acceleration with an OTA update, which was the 3.2 to 3.1 change. I think that heckling them for more free upgrades is unreasonable. If they were able to further increase performance without additional hardware, then I'm quite certain they would have done so. I feel like maybe we were spoiled into thinking that the difference between a 3.2 and 3.1 zero-to-sixty is negligible, when in reality, it's a hefty boost.

Where are people getting the idea that you need to buy a brand new battery pack? Sure if you buy a P85D new you have to get the upgraded range to get this REALLY EXPENSIVE fuse. But, i don't think that means that the battery is technically required for it. It just means that's how Tesla sells it.

I fail to see how changing batteries is feasible, and why they would offer the upgrade if it needed the new battery.