Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tyco responded to my inquiry. No real news, other than they said that the order people are being called to schedule the retrofit is not necessarily in the order people either 1/ Called the SCs after the press conference or 2/ The date that they put down the deposit. Apparently it's being driven by engineering @HQ.

I got home this afternoon and a message from my service center in Rocklin, CA stated they had the parts for the upgrade and I needed to make an appointment by tomorrow or lose my place in line. They also said it would take the whole day and would not provide a loaner. I called and am scheduled for the update on Friday of next week. I guess I will take a book and spend my time reading. If they don't finish that day I wonder if I can spend the night?

From my upgrade scheduling email with Tesla.

"We are sincerely sorry that we could not schedule you in first. We were directed to schedule based on the order of deposit placed which we started this week. You are number 6 on the list and we just confirmed the first five. Currently, we can only schedule one vehicle per week due some constraints but can now get your vehicle on the books.

I will have <name removed> confirm scheduling tomorrow with you. A loaner vehicle will be provided during the duration of the upgrade as well.

We will be in touch. Hope you've been well. "

A $5000 upgrade doesn't merit a loaner from that service center?

"We are sincerely sorry that we could not schedule you in first. We were directed to schedule based on the order of deposit placed which we started this week. You are number 6 on the list and we just confirmed the first five. Currently, we can only schedule one vehicle per week due some constraints but can now get your vehicle on the books.

I will have confirm scheduling tomorrow with you. A loaner vehicle will be provided during the duration of the upgrade as well.

So basically your service center is stating the complete opposite of mine. Awesome.

Commasign,

I just talked to the Rocklin service center and they have not done any upgrades yet. It's possible our cars will be the first to be upgraded at this service center. Based on this and two cars being upgraded on the same day it seems likely that it will take more than one day. Since my wife want's to hit Costco we now plan on driving two cars into Rocklin and drop the Tesla off on Thursday so we won't have to get up so early on Friday. We will head back home to Penn Valley and return to pick up the care whenever it's ready.

Yep. Sounds like we're the guinea pigs. But I'm use to it now. Was the first P85D delivery at Rocklin and also first LTE upgrade I think.

I will have <name removed> confirm scheduling tomorrow with you. A loaner vehicle will be provided during the duration of the upgrade as well.

Hmmm. I got a loaner when I upgraded and when I had some other service. The one time I didn't get a loaner was when 7.1 crashed my OS, though I did get a free rental (a Buick :mad:).

Maybe you guys need to be more charming. FWIW, after I got my first loaner I let my rep know that there as "a little squeak" in the frunk when I was returning it, and that they should check it out. I also accidentally misplaced a nice bottle of scotch in the frunk of the loaner upon return. Regrettably, the bottle of scotch was never found. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I've continued to receive the same level of spectacular services form my SC that I've always received from day 1. I love you, Tesla.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to the loaner. I was referring to how the order for retrofits is determined. With respect to loaners, I've always received one if they had one to give. It didn't matter why the car was there.

It does seem to be interesting that no loaner for this $5,000 upgrade. I have always been offered a loaner when getting any service. I actually declined the last time and just spent the time reading in the lounge. I would not mind doing that for the upgrade if I thought it was going to be complete in one day. This is actually my wife's Tesla who never wanted the car and still says she preferred the Lexus we replaced. She certainly doesn't care about the upgrade. We've been married 46 years and she has put up with what she calls my SUVs (Stupid Useless Vehicles) since before we were married. She even helped clean parts, although that stopped when we got married. So I was happy when she offered (rather than me having to ask) to help get the car in and out for the upgrade.

There seems to be some confusion be loaner vs rental. I consider a free rental a loaner so perhaps that's what the really meant that you just wouldn't get a Model S but you'd still get a rental. BTW, Tesla not only doesn't require you to put gas back in on the rentals but if you give them your gas receipts, they'll pay you back for the gas you bought for the rental.

There seems to be some confusion be loaner vs rental. I consider a free rental a loaner so perhaps that's what the really meant that you just wouldn't get a Model S but you'd still get a rental. BTW, Tesla not only doesn't require you to put gas back in on the rentals but if you give them your gas receipts, they'll pay you back for the gas you bought for the rental.

I also consider a rental as a loaner. I have gotten a rental about half the time I have had the car in for service. When I made the reservation for the upgrade they told me no loaner. I said I would just stay in the lounge and was told they could take me to a restaurant for lunch. So I'm pretty sure they meant no car period. There are restaurants nearby so I would not need a ride. However as I said earlier we are now going to just drop the car off since it appears it will take more than one day. It's a bit of a pain since we live about 50 miles from the service center. Has anyone had the upgrade done in one day?

Interesting! I paid for my gas -- never heard that rule.

I also consider a rental as a loaner. I have gotten a rental about half the time I have had the car in for service. When I made the reservation for the upgrade they told me no loaner. I said I would just stay in the lounge and was told they could take me to a restaurant for lunch. So I'm pretty sure they meant no car period. There are restaurants nearby so I would not need a ride. However as I said earlier we are now going to just drop the car off since it appears it will take more than one day. It's a bit of a pain since we live about 50 miles from the service center. Has anyone had the upgrade done in one day?

What's more interesting is that they think they're going to do it in a few hours when the Fremont center, the master of all, takes 3 days *IF* there are no issues. Sometimes it takes a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting! I paid for my gas -- never heard that rule.

I had assumed it was a perk that had disappeared along with free ranger service and such but when I got my L upgrade in December and returned the 323i rental I told them that I had just topped off. They told me that it isn't required for rental loaners saying they don't believe Tesla owners should ever have to pay for gas again and they asked me for all of my gas receipts so they could pay me back.

Just got a call from SC, I'm now scheduled for Ludicrous upgrade next Tuesday (2/09). I was told it'll take a full day for the upgrade, and if I drop it off early in the AM, I can have my car ready next day. I was also instructed to run my battery down to 30% or less before dropping it off.

Anyone in Houston upgraded to Ludicrous?

Yep. Sounds like we're the guinea pigs. But I'm use to it now. Was the first P85D delivery at Rocklin and also first LTE upgrade I think.

I contacted the Rocklin service center today to confirm no loaner. They said they would shuttle up to 10 miles. Since we live 50 miles from the SC we will bring the car in Thursday afternoon and return when it's done. I was told that our cars are the first two to be upgraded at Rocklin and they think they will be able to do them in one full day. There are only 3 other cars scheduled for normal service that day so they will be focusing on our cars.