Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a call from Tesla and they found they had missed something and had to take the battery back out to fix it. The battery is now going back into the car. They think it will be done sometime this afternoon. My wife is going to drop me off at the service center after lunch. If it doesn't get done they will provide a loaner. It's currently 9:30 and the car is still offline.

Well the car still has a problem. It will not allow them to download the firmware. They told me they have had the battery out of the car 3 times. I spent the afternoon until about 5 hoping it would get done. Interesting the other car being done is finished even though it was behind my car on Friday. I got a loaner and will wait for the call when they are finished.

It wasn't all bad in that they were having an invitation only Model X reveal. They let me in at lunch time and I got to sit in the demonstrator they had in the showroom. I'm 6'6" and it has much more leg room in the drivers seat than the Model S. The seat could go back so far that my leg wasn't hitting the screen like it does in the S. They also had two Model Xs that were giving demonstration rides.

Attachments

• model X1.jpg
    model X1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 94
  • Model X2.jpg
    Model X2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Model X.jpg
    Model X.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 80
Well the car still has a problem. It will not allow them to download the firmware. They told me they have had the battery out of the car 3 times.

Do you think this means that the Ludicrous firmware, as it is being installed, is somehow checking for properly installed Ludicrous hardware, and the firmware installation is failing because somehow the hardware is not installed or configured properly? That seems more likely than the techs just having a typical firmware installation problem.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is not the first we've heard of a Ludicrous upgrade being held up for this reason.

The following is not meant in any way as a slight on the techs, as they are performing a new procedure that I'm sure is quite complicated with relatively little training. But saying "we haven't been able to install the firmware", while true, also sounds a heck of a lot better than saying, "we must not have the install exactly right yet, but we're not sure where we went wrong, because we thought we had it right."

So if I had to guess, I'd say blaming the delay on a problem installing the firmware may be a bit euphemistic.

Mine was the other car at Rocklin. They finished around 4pm but I wasn't able to make it back there today so I'll be picking it up in the morning. They did our cars simultaneously, so it is odd that one is having errors and one isn't. Maybe differences in battery pack revisions?

Do you think this means that the Ludicrous firmware, as it is being installed, is somehow checking for properly installed Ludicrous hardware, and the firmware installation is failing because somehow the hardware is not installed or configured properly? That seems more likely than the techs just having a typical firmware installation problem.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is not the first we've heard of a Ludicrous upgrade being held up for this reason.

The following is not meant in any way as a slight on the techs, as they are performing a new procedure that I'm sure is quite complicated with relatively little training. But saying "we haven't been able to install the firmware", while true, also sounds a heck of a lot better than saying, "we must not have the install exactly right yet, but we're not sure where we went wrong, because we thought we had it right."

So if I had to guess, I'd say blaming the delay on a problem installing the firmware may be a bit euphemistic.

I'm not blaming anything and I'm certainly not upset. Stuff happens. They have tried to install the firmware many times and it gets about 3/4 the way through and they get a high voltage fault. Since there were two cars being upgraded and the other one was done without a problem it could be a problem with the car unrelated to the upgrade. Will just have to wait and see. It does appear that my car would have been done in one day if they had not run into the problem.

I'm not blaming anything and I'm certainly not upset. Stuff happens. They have tried to install the firmware many times and it gets about 3/4 the way through and they get a high voltage fault. Since there were two cars being upgraded and the other one was done without a problem it could be a problem with the car unrelated to the upgrade. Will just have to wait and see. It does appear that my car would have been done in one day if they had not run into the problem.

They should make it up to you by loaning you one of the Model X. ;)

Update: my upgrade is done, and they're recharging the car. Tomorrow morning, they're going to do some tests, and then i should be able to pick it up -- by noon at the latest. I've heard that my car is the first to be done at the Devon, PA service center. If so, I'm happy to let them take their time to do it right.

Just got a text that they don't know what the problem is with my car. From what I understand they keep having alerts when they try to download the firmware. They are in discussions with engineering. Yesterday I was told the battery had already been removed 3 times trying to fix the problem. It appears the battery is back out of the car since I can't bring it up on the app.

Picked up my car this morning. Haven't had much time to push it, but love the extra little kick. I guess if Insane mode is "kick", then Ludicrous is "kick +".

Definitely appreciate Tesla allowing this upgrade. This is a rare situation in the tech or auto industries where they let you upgrade to the newer tech and higher performance for a small fraction of the cost of trading in and buying new. In fact, my 2014 P85DL is arguably better than the 2016 P90DL as mine has the Performance Plus suspension and the NextGen rear seats which are no longer available. And I theoretically should be able to upgrade to a 95, 100, 105, or 110kwh battery in the coming years.

Definitely appreciate Tesla allowing this upgrade. This is a rare situation in the tech or auto industries where they let you upgrade to the newer tech and higher performance for a small fraction of the cost of trading in and buying new. In fact, my 2014 P85DL is arguably better than the 2016 P90DL as mine has the Performance Plus suspension and the NextGen rear seats which are no longer available. And I theoretically should be able to upgrade to a 95, 100, 105, or 110kwh battery in the coming years.

Exactly my thinking :wink:

Congrats on getting the upgrade done and your car back!

Got a text that my car's upgrade was completed yesterday afternoon. They even got the LTE upgrade completed that I wanted done while it was in. I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow since I'm travelling and won't be able to experience the full improvement right away since the snow tires are still mounted.