Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mike,
They found a leak in one of the pressure relief valves when they did the before opening pressure test of the pack. It had to go back to Fremont for the valve fix and they were to do the L upgrade "while they were there". That was a couple of months ago. Although I appreciate putting free miles on the loaner battery, I kinda want to try the whole L thing out.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Upgrade complete. Some comments on the benefit and the upgrade experience:

1) The "launch from a roll" difference between luda and insane is substantial. The most significant "feel it" impact is a rolling launch at 25-30 mph. This evening, with my "insane mode tolerant" wife and children were in the car, I launched my ludicrous mode car and the my kids shrieked with delight as if on a roller coaster, and my poor wife asked me to swear i would "never, ever do that again". The car rips to 60 in no time flat. It feels like you were hit from behind there is so much force in the initial surge. Big difference.

2) Acceleration from 55 on the interstate is dramatically better. The battery mileage rating is exactly the same per percent of charge as before which is still the same as new.

3) The upgrade took one full day, then a recharge in the morning. These guys have gotten the process down pretty quick.

4) The install wasn't perfect. Apparently the rear seats have to be removed in the process. As part of this, service pretty much destroyed my rear console (broke the hinge, dented/scarred the leather) ....I bet they didn't know how to deal with it (remove it, etc). The service manager is going to get me a new one (but they are back ordered..just another something for me to followup on.) I try to minimize any service center touching my car (any car that I have owned -- not just my Tesla) -- there is always something that happens when they do.

But... I am very happy with the result. The car is beyond fast and it will probably be the fastest car I ever own. You only go around this world once... ;-)

Some pictures....
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2860 2.JPG

Have anyone else had problems with max battery switching of by itself after just a few minutes after the upgrade (essentially the same thing as if I manually had checked it off again)?

It showed 35 minutes to go, then silently turns off. Tried a few times with same result.

i'm in the same situation but have a question:

say I do the Ludicrous update to my P85D. then in 2017 they come out with a 100 pack, and they make it available for retrofit.

will my 2014 P85D turned 2014 P100D be exactly as fast as a brand-new 2017 P100D?

If you upgrade your battery to a 90kwh pack, your retrofitted car will have the same performance as a new P90D Ludicrous. No one knows whether the same will be true for the inevitable 100kwh pack, but most people think yes since all new (90kwh) battery packs have the new fuse and ludicrous mode itself is just a software update for cars with the new fuse.

If you upgrade your battery to a 90kwh pack, your retrofitted car will have the same performance as a new P90D Ludicrous. No one knows whether the same will be true for the inevitable 100kwh pack, but most people think yes since all new (90kwh) battery packs have the new fuse and ludicrous mode itself is just a software update for cars with the new fuse.

That was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger... Ludicrous mode will stay with you if you swap packs. According to my service center there is no motor difference between P90D and P85D (of course, they may have different motors for future iterations.)

Had to take my car in today to have the touchscreen looked at as it has refused to wake up for the past day or so. (glad that I was still able to drive)

My service advisor, Andrew, mentioned that my car's Ludi kit has arrived at Burlingame but, he had to get me scheduled as far out as May 23rd as the center is overwhelmed with X issues (mostly minor) apparently. @MarcG , FYI.

Had to take my car in today to have the touchscreen looked at as it has refused to wake up for the past day or so. (glad that I was still able to drive)

My service advisor, Andrew, mentioned that my car's Ludi kit has arrived at Burlingame but, he had to get me scheduled as far out as May 23rd as the center is overwhelmed with X issues (mostly minor) apparently. @MarcG , FYI.

Wow, 6 weeks from now... Hang in there GG! Mine is looking like summer at the earliest :-(

I called Van Nuys today and what a surprise as they found my kit that was delivered a couple of days ago. Since I need a loaner I would need to wait till May but I had already arranged for Santa Barbara to do the installation as they are not as busy. Now I can't wait till the 12th. Van Nuys has done 4 upgrades while Santa Barbara has done two.

Reactions: msnow
Apparently they are having issues with my install. Dropped off in Rocklin, Ca on Monday expecting it back Tuesday. Got a text on Tuesday saying they needed to order parts. Never heard back so I texted them this morning. Just got a text back saying that they ended up ordering me a new battery pack. With 20k miles, I guess that's not a bad thing. Crossing my fingers that they end up giving me a 90 lol.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Apparently they are having issues with my install. Dropped off in Rocklin, Ca on Monday expecting it back Tuesday. Got a text on Tuesday saying they needed to order parts. Never heard back so I texted them this morning. Just got a text back saying that they ended up ordering me a new battery pack. With 20k miles, I guess that's not a bad thing. Crossing my fingers that they end up giving me a 90 lol.

Lucky bastich, I'm jealous because they just quit making the 85kWH batteries too, so you might have a chance.

• Funny
Reactions: relagustin
I called Van Nuys today and what a surprise as they found my kit that was delivered a couple of days ago. Since I need a loaner I would need to wait till May but I had already arranged for Santa Barbara to do the installation as they are not as busy. Now I can't wait till the 12th. Van Nuys has done 4 upgrades while Santa Barbara has done two.

I don't blame you for wanting this so bad. 1) much faster car 2) you've waited so long for this. It's almost like getting a new car! :)

Scheduled for 18th April in Sydney, Australia. I'm leaving the car with them for 2 weeks while I go out of town so not sure exactly when they'll be doing the upgrade. Apparently it takes about 3 days here because they're still pretty new to the procedure unlike the US service centres.

Had mine done at the Vancouver SC on the 29th and 30th. Also had LTE upgrade done, a drive shaft replaced, and yearly service. Everything was great with the exception that they did not receive any badge upgrade parts so currently my car is a sleeper ludicar.
Drove about 600 miles home. Had to behave much of the way on account of range considerations but I did enjoy a few ludicrous bursts of acceleration.

I've been pestering my SC, so they finally just scheduled me for 6/1 in Cincinnati.
They told me the upgrade would take 2 days and I believe they have done approximately 5 and I am #9 on their list (didn't commit until 1/1).

However, I would like to thank everyone who is posting their upgrades and their performance impression here or on the performance thread.
It makes the wait much more bearable!