Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus the fact that a relatively minor bump can leave the car written off if there’s any suspicion the battery pack is damaged. (Happened to me, so I can say that first hand. Car was drivable, and seemed eminently repairable, but written off. Not surprised premiums are up).
'cept with his 85 S the whole pack can be dropped in 5 mins.
Nevertheless ya can see why insurance costs are screaming upwards and will make used cars unaffordable or dirt cheap to be sellable...

Happened to me, so I can say that first hand. Car was drivable, and seemed eminently repairable, but written off

I know of a car that was written off - that was hit in the side at 70 MPH and definitely wasn't driveable!. Bought off the insurance company by a garage, the cost of "bits" was about £4,000 - most amongst which was the airbags as all had gone off and probably should have only been "some" - their own mechanics so no idea what the labour was.

Given it had been hit hard it needed a lot less straitening than would be expected (structural battery helping there perhaps?). The garage owner reckoned it made for a cheap car ...

The one thing that didn't need any repair was the battery ...

Made me wonder about Insurance Company and EV and "Write off" ...

Last edited:
Okay so I dreaded the moment but went on the meerkats to get new quotes for my upcoming sept renewal... cheapest one came at a +50% increase.... nearly £1800 annually...
No claims, value of the car has now depreciated from new.... Just dreadful...

I guess there will be a lot of people who collected in Sept now getting quotes.
Boom who I was with at £550 have just said a flat no to insure.
LV I can't get on the website at the moment, might be because I'm in France at the moment.
Direct line £1800.00
Admiral beast at the moment at £888.00

Nothing has changed since last year claim/policy wise.

The whole industry needs looking at just like the banks with their interest rates.

Reactions: Obie

Nothing has changed since last year claim/policy wise.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, and manyothers on the same topic, in most instances the rises people are seeing in their renewal premiums are driven in the main by Tesla part supply issues and the attendant costs associated with this (eg rental cars for Tesla's being off the road for long periods of time) not changes (or lack of) in people's personal situations.

I've been looking speculatively for a while to see what sort of costs I'd be looking at.

In the space of just over two months prices for me have gone from £700 for a 2020 M3LR to £1k on the nose for a 2019 M3SR+ now.

I'm guessing that shows how quickly the market can fluctuate so just hoping they might come down again. Seems unsustainable, particularly for those not having insurance covered by their lease company, which there'll be a lot more of now the second hand market's maturing.

I've been looking speculatively for a while to see what sort of costs I'd be looking at.

In the space of just over two months prices for me have gone from £700 for a 2020 M3LR to £1k on the nose for a 2019 M3SR+ now.

I'm guessing that shows how quickly the market can fluctuate so just hoping they might come down again. Seems unsustainable, particularly for those not having insurance covered by their lease company, which there'll be a lot more of now the second hand market's maturing.
Well most contracts are for a year, so no decrease in sight for us until mid 2024 at least…

Two years ago Peugeot insured my M3LR in inner London for £379, just to put things into even more painful perspective.

They’ve just worked out the fuel saving and gouged (I know all insurance is up but Tesla seems more than other premium brands, even though parts problems are fairly widespread). I wonder when if starts to feed through to sales.

My car insurance is so high, I had to sell the car to pay for it ...

Well (just talking to myself here)...

My Renewal came in yesterday (starts on 1st Sept) at £ 1,890 (last year it was £1004), so quite a big increase.

I called my Insurer (LV) and challenged the price, which they defended and wouldn't budge.

So I asked what Mileage Limit I had, which was 15,000 per year. So I reduced that to 9,000 (which for me is ideal as we have three cars in the house), and upon mentioning that they updated my records to show three cars total.

My Premium came down to £ 1,363 which I accepted immediately. Think I got off lightly there, under the circumstances.

Last edited:
well this is just plain stupid.

I am starting to think that MAYBE it is possible to check for the insurance policy abroad :/ maybe there are some crazy companies who would be willing to insure my Uk registered car to drive in Uk :/

well this is just plain stupid.

I am starting to think that MAYBE it is possible to check for the insurance policy abroad :/ maybe there are some crazy companies who would be willing to insure my Uk registered car to drive in Uk :/
I don't believe you can. Even if you could find one, they would likely not be registered with the MID in the UK, so your plate would show up as uninsured with every ANPR check. You would most likely be stopped every other week...

I don't believe you can. Even if you could find one, they would likely not be registered with the MID in the UK, so your plate would show up as uninsured with every ANPR check. You would most likely be stopped every other week...
if you save 1k a year.. maybe for some it is worth the hassle to be stopped once every couple of weeks to show the insurance :)

but good point

if you save 1k a year.. maybe for some it is worth the hassle to be stopped once every couple of weeks to show the insurance :)
The sad thing is, indeed, we are now losing nearly £1k a year due to these insurance hikes, that's quite a good chunk of the petrol savings I used in my man maths when I bought my Tesla...

I do believe that as it is in the top most sold vehicle in the UK, insurers have seen a burst of requests for MY/M3s. They want to diversify their risk, hence the large premium they are now showing to deter. Hopefully things will normalise in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.
Spending close to 150 a month to insure this car is ridiculous.

I think I will monitor the situation every couple months now, and won't hesitate to change policy mid-contract if I find a better price elsewhere. (I think admin fees for cancellation are max £50 quid with my current one)