Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anybody is interested ... there's one thing I learned which was profound... from a Military Fighter Pilot training school.

Saccadic suppression.

In summary, you can be looking... and never see what you're trying to see.

Military Pilots missing successful missile targeted explosions... thinking they never happened, when they did.

Same for car drivers, never seeing the rider... even though they appear to be looking right at them.

Yeah, to this day I remember nearly being clipped by a car as I was going round an island. I can SWEAR that lady driver was looking straight at me and she still pulled out in front of me.
I wonder why that happens more with bikes than cars, though.

Yeah, to this day I remember nearly being clipped by a car as I was going round an island. I can SWEAR that lady driver was looking straight at me and she still pulled out in front of me.

Bikes are very narrow from the front... and you don't see a motorcycle profile (like from the side).

Motorcycle headlights on full beam actually make things worse as it masks the ability to judge speed.

Anyways...

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
There's also target fixation when so concentrating on missing something you actually drive into it...

Very common with motorcycle learners...

Did you know when riding a motorcycle on tarmac at speed, if you want to go right you steer left... and if you want to go left you steer right. ... and when riding on mud you can steer with your body weight through your feet.

😀 😍 🤩

If anybody is interested ... there's one thing I learned which was profound... from a Military Fighter Pilot training school.

Saccadic suppression.

In summary, you can be looking... and never see what you're trying to see.

Military Pilots missing successful missile targeted explosions... thinking they never happened, when they did.

Same for car drivers, never seeing the rider... even though they appear to be looking right at them.

Fascinating and somewhat alarming
articles. I had no idea of this condition.
However, the object fixation problem which can draw one to a collision was very real when motorcycling and consciously avoided.
When cycling I always wear high viz and show front and rear lights - we have to give ourselves half a chance. When drivers notice it, the helmet cam seems to have a positive effect on oncoming vehicles.

A common sight in London are electric scooter riders dressed in dark clothing without lights or helmets. An irritating sight until reading your articles; now I will just be grateful to see them and hope there are none that I don't.

Reactions: PITA
Fascinating and somewhat alarming
articles. I had no idea of this condition.
However, the object fixation problem which can draw one to a collision was very real when motorcycling and consciously avoided.
When cycling I always wear high viz and show front and rear lights - we have to give ourselves half a chance. When drivers notice it, the helmet cam seems to have a positive effect on oncoming vehicles.

A common sight in London are electric scooter riders dressed in dark clothing without lights or helmets. An irritating sight until reading your articles; now I will just be grateful to see them and hope there are none that I don't.

When I was younger I used to race sail boats (36 foot racing cruiser) with friends.

When at the helm I always had to watch for other boats on a collision course when going through the shipping lanes. If it didn't change position but just got bigger, it was on a collision course.

I had to give way, as I was smaller... but the fights we had with similar sized boats when tacking in the river was heart racing during the start of a race 😀

Reactions: Wattsisname
When I was younger I used to race sail boats (36 foot racing cruiser) with friends.

When at the helm I always had to watch for other boats on a collision course when going through the shipping lanes. If it didn't change position but just got bigger, it was on a collision course.

I had to give way, as I was smaller... but the fights we had with similar sized boats when tacking in the river was heart racing during the start of a race 😀
I know what you mean; I have helmed a bit, not racing, up and down the Solent around the Isle and Poole Harbour. It's busy😀.

Reactions: PITA
It's insurance time again and LV have hiked around £155 to £565 - this is for a MYP 2023. I know insurance prices have gone up and it's a minefield but I guess that's par for the course at the moment? A quick run through the comparison sites suggests over £700!

Anything I'm missing or just grin and bear it and press the button? I'll make the usual call to try and get a bit off but looks like I'm probably stuck with it? We're both long term drivers, decent area and no claims for a good while.

Cheers
Mine went up from £350 to £480 in January. Cheapest I could find and that was with a lot of haggling on the phone

A SR Model 3 is essentially as quick as Subaru Impreza from the 2000s, I tried (and failed) to get any insurance on one of those back in 2000.

Insurance is a balance or risks, on paper Teslas have massive potential for huge insurance claims, litigation payouts etc. In practice the cost is actually much cheaper than what you would expect for cars with amount of performance. I can get insured on a P100D version of our 75D for only £200 a year more, which given the performance on offer is a 'bargain' for insurance costs.

Tesla owners clearly aren't the same as those who were buying Imprezas in 2000, but the overall risk of a Tesla getting into an accident will still be higher than for a Toyota Aygo, simply on the basis speed kills - which is essentially physics.
To be precise - sudden deceleration and not speed is what kills ;)

I had something similar 12 years ago, but it was on my part being blind.

Speed was very low, 10 mph, but cyclist was riding bike in the area where shadows where mixing with sunlight (under large trees). I was looking straight at the direction we was coming from, duing turn on T junction, but I still managed to clip him...

Ah! Statistics. Like the actuary that always carried a bomb on the plane with him. That odds of there being 2 bombs kept him safe.
Sadly after 30yrd NCD I had my ding before xmas
I know. And yet the insurer sent me a proof of no claims document stating 25 years ncb. Not that it matters a jot over 5/9 years, as you rightly say.
Perhaps, ironically, the longer we drive without an accident, the greater the possibility of having one before too long.