Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Teslafi I’m one of just 2% still on 5.15. Must be some practical joke. As soon as I get the update I’ll make new measurements.
Just go on your mobile app and schedule service while selecting firmware as the issue.
You will get a call or text from the service center and they will push the new update to you that way.
I did it this week and it took them 2 days to contact me, so not too bad.

Reactions: phantasms
@phantasms times with the old software seem comparable to @MagnusMako’s with the new software. (Both right around 4.0 without rolloit.) But it is two different measurement methods.

Also, as a previous drag racer and lightweight endurance runner I’m squeezing every last millisecond out of the thing.

Only thing it can be is they hate you. I'm on second upgrade post-5.15. First 8.3 and now 8.5. :p

Or maybe there's an issue with your WiFi connection? My understanding is that eventually it'll download via cell modem but will delay that hoping to get it via WiFi.

They definitely hate me. I said the Model 3 was a better car than the Model S in an article they Tweeted AND I didn't purchase the Autopilot software that I'd almost never use even for the low low price of two thousand dollars. It seems these issues will be gone in the new 12 software update hanging around as it gives us more ability to manage these things. If it doesn't I may as well trade it in for a lifted Dodge Ram with bro pipes sticking up out of the bed.

Well, I did my best to empty the car today but the VBOX flakiness failed to allow me to do a before and after data point.

I did grab an old datapoint from 5.15...I’ll post the detailed data elsewhere (5% thread) if I can ever grab a successful “post-update” run. This is an AWD thread so don’t want to confuse things posting here. The old software for the P3D+ for me was 3.26 without the rollout. My course may be slightly uphill (just 3-6 feet according to VBOX, but it is noisy), though basically looks flat. I have those boat anchor larger radius tires/wheels so that also hurts a bit as discussed. Seems a bit far from the previously advertised 3.2, but maybe I have a reject. I’m 160lbs so pretty sure driver weight is not a factor. Anyway maybe at some point the VBOX will cooperate again.

Last edited:
Alright. Here’s what I got for tonight. The car seemed to accelerate more consistently off the jump. In the past right away I’d know “that was a good run” or “that was a bad run” by 20mph. It felt smooth and the same every time. Also, while my tires/wheels may make me the slightest bit slower the software made up for that to 60. In the past after doing run after run it was a consistent 4.08 average and this time around it was a consistent 4.04. So, as expected, not much gained in the sprint to 60, but some. This was warmed up and between 90 and 85 soc. 45F outside.

Also in a previous post you’ll see the run to 100 was about dead near 10 seconds. Well she feels and shows to be quicker now. I was driving home on the highway and said F it as there wasn’t a light behind me. [i don’t live in the middle of nowhere] I came to a stop and ran her to 110 [in mexico?] with 93 soc all warmed up. Unfortunately it was at a bit of a decline but certainly not a dramatic one. That gave me a 0-60 in 3.84 and 0-100 in 8.62. 1/8th in [email protected]. The car absolutely pulls harder than it did before and continues to pull where it used to let up in the past. I’m a happy customer. I will get this thing to a track eventually but there’s none near me so it will be a while.

Again, all of this is not counting the 1 foot roll out because that’s how you do it. One of these days I’ll shoot for a completely flat 95soc run, maybe when the aeros are back on in the Fall or if Elon blesses us with more power.

More to come...

Best,
Gene

Best/fastest/mostSOC/6m down run here...
B44D9F71-6985-4BE7-8520-2B16BAD3A055.png
F4DD9F63-3A7F-4CA6-A9DE-C2837E1691CA.png

Note: The graphs below are the raw data so they include the 1 foot and will appear slightly slower as it’s the actual time.
E63FC04B-2811-484D-8E16-77AB544C7901.png
13ED6033-E4B1-42E1-8918-29A4B6D9F3A6.png

Attachments

• CA0C70AA-3D4C-4B7D-80D0-BB7CBB1E9825.png
    CA0C70AA-3D4C-4B7D-80D0-BB7CBB1E9825.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 37
@phantasms hitting your 0-60's without rollout in <4s in the AWD is just wild. Are you on 2019.12 or 8.5 with this latest testing? Would love to see you ahead of me on the Dragy app. ;) The only one's so far are all P3D's. I look forward to the high speed power update to see how much if at all that helps in the 1/4.

Last edited:
@phantasms hitting your 0-60's without rollout in <4s in the AWD is just wild. Are you on 2019.12 or 8.5 with this latest testing? Would love to see you ahead of me on the Dragy app. ;) The only one's so far are all P3D's. I look forward to the high speed power update to see how much if at all that helps in the 1/4.

oh boo. I didn't realize Draggy was a physical thing I had to purchase. If anyone wants to loan me one I'll go for it but there's no need for me to invest in this when I already have a VBOX Sport.

@phantasms
Just FYI, I've posted the P3D+ data with 2019.8.5 elsewhere. The P3D+ picked up about 0.1s with a torque increase of about 5% all the way from ~5mph up to 45mph. (Where most of the improvement comes from.) Things seem basically the same between 5.15 and 8.5 from 45-60mph, but I didn't test to higher speeds, so it's possible HP is maintained better at higher speeds with less torque tapering with 8.5 (that's what the P3D+ dyno plots I have seen suggested). I would not necessarily have seen that in my test since I only went to 60mph.

Data:
P3D+ Acceleration

Interesting that they seemed to do the opposite of the AWD model where it increased nothing under 45mph but ~8% over 45.

As an aside magnanimous MagnusMako sent me his Dragy. If the April showers ever stop I'll get out and do some more runs.
Do 'em in the rain. It's amazing to me how these cars can launch in the rain without any tire slip. True, you're time won't be as good. But you will still have fun :D

Do 'em in the rain. It's amazing to me how these cars can launch in the rain without any tire slip. True, you're time won't be as good. But you will still have fun :D

I felt/heard a little tire slip this morning hammering on it from a stoplight (wet pavement/drizzling rain). Admittedly not NEARLY as much as if I were in one of my former vehicles, but still just a bit. Still stupid fast... :D:cool:

Reactions: SammichLover
Even more so since I swapped PS4S onto the Aeros, my goodness. So much so that it is maybe even a bit on the deceptive side. I find I feel so "stuck" to the road accelerating, even launching with my wheels turned (at an intersection), that I need to work to keep in mind my braking distance is still compromised to an extent compared to dry.

Still if you listen closely to the tires, having your rear seats down helps with this, and pay close attention to the feel there is a bit of slipping going on at times. The T/C - S/C is just doing a really good job of not letting it get away.

Interesting that they seemed to do the opposite of the AWD model where it increased nothing under 45mph but ~8% over 45.

Yeah, and the dyno and @SleeperService data for P3D suggest it should be more torque all the way to at least 100mph. I think I just have a motor or battery that power limits below the new power level, because it is a dog. Woof.