Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD LR Non P Vbox run(S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first test that I have been able to find. Looks promising.

Peak Performance Increase for AWD/Dual Motor Model 3: 0-60 Test - Pure Tesla

I appreciate his video, but have to take anybody trying to do precision performance measurements with a timer and video of the cars speedometer with a moderate sized grain of salt... hoping the draggy/vbox folks get it soon....

(I've got an old G-tech accelerometer, but haven't gotten the update yet, and I've got to think mine is not gonna be worth using compared to the GPS-based units of today)

Reactions: phantasms
I appreciate his video, but have to take anybody trying to do precision performance measurements with a timer and video of the cars speedometer with a moderate sized grain of salt... hoping the draggy/vbox folks get it soon....

Someone in another thread here yesterday had a similar measurement of a P3D Stealth (no software update) using a Google phone at 240fps.

P3D+ Acceleration

After making a correction to his initial data to start the measurement where he started to see the power bar ramp up (rather than where the speedometer clicked to 1mph which would introduce a huge error), it was surprisingly close to the VBOX run I have (admittedly in a different car under different conditions). It was close in terms of characteristic..."dog slow" at first, then really fast very briefly, followed by flat torque all the way to 45mph. Even in absolute terms it was pretty close in terms of maximum Gs, etc. You can check his spreadsheet. I didn't go through EVERY column to check it all but it seemed reasonable. I previously had some doubts about accuracy of the VBOX at very low speeds because of the way my velocity vs. time curves looked, but it was good to see some confirmation of the basic characteristics using a different method.

Obviously subject to speedometer accuracy, refresh/update rate, etc. But surprisingly close.

I wish the guy in the video above had explained his measurement method in more detail. Specifically, how did he determine the start of the run? That could introduce 100-150ms of error easily if done incorrectly.

The sampling rate of a video camera, especially at 240fps is actually very good as long as the start and end point can be determined accurately and consistently.

If you could work out a repeatable way to measure when the car starts moving and can build in a correction for the latency in the GPS speedometer, you should be able to get pretty accurate results. If you had a Vbox in shot next to the Model 3 display, there could be a way to do it and then you wouldn't need the Vbox for subsequent runs.

Reactions: SammichLover
Got 8.3 last night. Non-P AWD. 60% SOC.
Screenshot_20190326-213330_dragy.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
According to reddit, for AWD the increase in power come after 45mph, and the increase in peak power is about 8%. There is no power change from 0-45mph, so the 0-60mph time might not see any big improvement. This is consistent with what the P3D dyno graph is showing on it's power change.

So a bit of a predicament.

My new wheels and tires came but I haven't received the update yet. Obviously, I really want to get this new set on. The car was tested with the 18" aeros and I got a new set of 19" wheels in stock sizes that are said to weigh the same as my old wheels. Do we think changing out the wheels/tires will have a meaningful effect on my Vbox testing of the future software update?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Attachments

• IMG_8941(1).jpg
    IMG_8941(1).jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 51

My new wheels and tires came but I haven't received the update yet. Obviously, I really want to get this new set on. The car was tested with the 18" aeros and I got a new set of 19" wheels in stock sizes that are said to weigh the same as my old wheels. Do we think changing out the wheels/tires will have a meaningful effect on my Vbox testing of the future software update?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

It would be best to test 2019.8.3 on the 18" first since all your past testings are done on that; with the new wheels and tires it wouldn't be a good comparison. Then you can try on your new wheels to see if they make any improvement against your 18". I'm sure you'll get the update any day now since it has been widely released.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Feel your pain but it shouldn't be much of a wait now. The one you need (I can confirm as my LR D got it yesterday) is 2019.8.3 and TeslaFi is reporting that more that 1/3 of the fleet is there already. TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

I would also like to point out that changing out wheels is pretty easy to do, if you have the capability at home. So, swap, play, firmware update, swap back, test, swap back. :) (I just swapped on my summer tires from my winter tires about the same time as I got 8.3 and it's ridiculous the change, but likely just from the tires. :) )

I would also like to point out that changing out wheels is pretty easy to do, if you have the capability at home.
Sure, floor jack, jack pad, something to chock the wheels, 21mm socket + breaker bar and a torque wrench (set to 129ftlb), and 45 min or less is all you need to change one way, and another 45 min back. I go there and back in a day roughly every 2nd weekend. But it's not nothing.

Still haven't gotten the 2019.8.3 and I'm near strong wifi all day and night. Sitting here with my dragy ready to do a bunch of runs like before.

Someone earlier also said don't go to a 1/8th track? Not worried about that all. There's plenty of smooth flat pavement here in Texas in the middle of nowhere that is perfectly usable.

Reactions: byeLT4
Sure, floor jack, jack pad, something to chock the wheels, 21mm socket + breaker bar and a torque wrench (set to 129ftlb), and 45 min or less is all you need to change one way, and another 45 min back. I go there and back in a day roughly every 2nd weekend. But it's not nothing.

Add an impact driver to your tool kit/gift list if you don’t have one. It makes it so much faster to remove the wheels. Can set torque below the torque requirement so no fear of over tightening when putting back on. Using the tool does require some caution of course; it can definitely do some serious damage on the 330 ft-lb setting!

20V MAX* XR® 1/2 in. Mid-Range Cordless Impact Wrench with Hog Ring Anvil Kit - DCF894HP2 | DEWALT

Agreed that it is a pain to swap the wheels, regardless.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Man I love your TSS’s. See you went for the gloss black. Nice!

48.0 lbs for you stock 18” wheels/tires with the aero caps, 23 + 25
46.7 lbs for the 19” TSS and PS4S, 23.7 + 23

The stock 18” Michelin MXM4 is 25 lbs compared to the 19” PS4S at 23 lb.

Be great if you can do apples/apples but I would want the new wheels on :)

Reactions: phantasms