Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 is a BMW, people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a Tesla forum, M3 = Tesla Model 3

In a BMW forum, M3 = High performance version of their popular 3 Series.

Only confusion is when posers put bigger tires and wheels on their 4 cyl 3 series and slap on M badging :(

My 340i wasn't an M3 but it had some sort of M track package. BMW started using the M naming on various add-ons and packages so they are the ones that muddied the waters on the whole M thing.

Also my Nephew's friend has a BMW badge stuck to his Honda accord, so sticking an M badge on a non-M3 isn't the worst mis-badging I've ever seen. :)

Wow this thread really got heated (again) in a hurry.

I heard that Elon hates acronyms, probably for reasons like this. Also probably doesn't like it when some engineer describes something and he hears a new acronym for something no one officially declared ahead of time.

There was fuss over "EAP" for a while. Us forum folks coined that for "Enhanced Auto Pilot", but to Tesla it was reserved for "Early Access Program".

People referred to "Tesla Motors" as "TM", but others objected that "TM" was already "Toyota Motors".

Personally I was uncomfortable when Tesla called their high speed chargers as "Superchargers" since everyone in automotive knows that is a forced induction device for internal combustion engines.
But then I realize that Tesla is taking the "disruptor" approach with an "out with the old and in with the new" slash and burn, get on board, or get out of the way mindset.
Similar to the way "Apple" hijacked the name of a fruit.

I know a lot about cars. Probably know more than anyone on this list, which is why I hate BMW’s, and I am happy that they are offended by Tesla owners using M3.

That is a bold claim (the fact about knowing more than anyone on this list; not the part about hating BMWs). Back in the day, I worked at Pininfarina so feel I am pretty knowledgeable about the cars they designed but wouldn't stake any claim against others on this forum without having seen their credentials.

It’s been interesting to watch the evolution of BMW and Tesla over the past decade. BMW dipped their toe in the water with EVs but never developed a long range version of their cars. They still relied on selling their ICE vehicles as their main source of profit. The EVs were mainly experiments.

What BMW did not anticipate is Tesla coming out with a car that actually performs better than their 3 Series, but just happens to be electric. They were clearly not prepared, and their numbers are now showing it. Not that other manufacturers have done better, but somehow I just expected more from BMW.

I want BMW to do well. As much as I like the Model 3, I don’t like the fact that there is no competition to the car to keep Tesla competitive. The more choices we have the better off we all are as consumers.

Any company that makes both internal combusiton and electric vehicles is going to be "two faced", indecisive, and suffering with internal debates on strategy.
Thankfully Tesla doesn't have that problem. "All systems go!"

Reactions: OCR1
It’s been interesting to watch the evolution of BMW and Tesla over the past decade. BMW dipped their toe in the water with EVs but never developed a long range version of their cars. They still relied on selling their ICE vehicles as their main source of profit. The EVs were mainly experiments.

What BMW did not anticipate is Tesla coming out with a car that actually performs better than their 3 Series, but just happens to be electric. They were clearly not prepared, and their numbers are now showing it. Not that other manufacturers have done better, but somehow I just expected more from BMW.

I want BMW to do well. As much as I like the Model 3, I don’t like the fact that there is no competition to the car to keep Tesla competitive. The more choices we have the better off we all are as consumers.

The Mach-E GT seems like it might be close. Unfortunately it looks like a station wagon and not a Mustang.

The M3 is the one not plugged in:). 1998 M3 is still fun to drive. Just a different top down fun.
A838E336-36ED-40BA-809E-0EDA3A2A9C08.jpeg