Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR RWD UK!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Apologies if this has been posted before and I missed it but apparently Tesla are introducing a RWD LM M3.
I just saw it on a YouTube Video but it had entirely passed me by to that point

1681901455551.png

for businesses only! Who already have tax incentives over retail purchases! keep us in our place!

Anyway.. Assume once these are EoL after three years they'll be auctioned and off to anyone to purchase used? Will confuse things a little but could be the sweet spot as a used option

Apologies if this has been posted before

Well I did ... but your title is getting more traffic than mine did :)

Why would anyone who enjoys driving not want this?!

Actually I very much enjoyed the fact that in MS Performance I could stop at the lights at a nearby roundabout, under dual carriageway, and then take the first 90-degree left exit up the ramp to highway. Using launch mode. In the wet. Very impressive. No drama

for businesses only! Who already have tax incentives over retail purchases! keep us in our place!

Anyway.. Assume once these are EoL after three years they'll be auctioned and off to anyone to purchase used? Will confuse things a little but could be the sweet spot as a used option
Business only and will soon hit the used market.
What's not to like?

How? because the motor would not be consuming battery and yes the front motor has mass, but also doesn't account for all the range loss. Notice how I was careful to say "some of this range gain".

Why? er, do I really have to answer that :rolleyes:

IIRC the front motor already disengages dynamically when not needed for power or traction, to increase efficiency. Manually selecting it off completely would just be an extension of that behaviour.

• Funny
Reactions: pow216
Because it would be an absolute peach to drive. Less weight, more range, tail happy.

Would rival a BMW M3
BMW M3s are now typically AWD, I know what you mean, although maybe to deliver the power they need the plaid twin motorsa t the back for vector power delivery etc,. BMW would do stuff like this, Tesla just don't cater for individual tastes.

How? because the motor would not be consuming battery and yes the front motor has mass, but also doesn't account for all the range loss. Notice how I was careful to say "some of this range gain".

Why? er, do I really have to answer that :rolleyes:

IIRC the front motor already disengages dynamically when not needed for power or traction, to increase efficiency. Manually selecting it off completely would just be an extension of that behaviour.
I believe track mode does this in the M3P. Doubt it will be coming to the rest of the range any time soon.

Back to the point of the thread rather than satisfying individuals personal preferences which is a constant circular debate through these forum pages leading nowhere...😵‍💫

This model achieves a whole 20 miles more than the current LR but assuming will be heavier with larger battery do we assume the accelleration will be slower than the current 5.8s for the standard RWD? Again, this will likely please some and annoy others. But it is an option for an intelligent person to consider and then buy or ignore depending on what they want.

Sorry, moan over...

I think the more important question is will the price drops filter through to the UK at some point? Why are we still unaltered with the US dropping twice?

Doing simple maths and following standard exchange rates on XE.com the US model 3 RWD s $39,990. taking off incentive $2k and federal credit $3,750 then add the destiantion fee $1,390 (forget the gas saving number as it's a variable for every driver) the total price is $35,630. In UK pounds this is £28,647

Could this be the future cheap car right now?

What will the Model 2 bring???

Back to the point of the thread rather than satisfying individuals personal preferences which is a constant circular debate through these forum pages leading nowhere...😵‍💫

This model achieves a whole 20 miles more than the current LR but assuming will be heavier with larger battery do we assume the accelleration will be slower than the current 5.8s for the standard RWD? Again, this will likely please some and annoy others. But it is an option for an intelligent person to consider and then buy or ignore depending on what they want.

Sorry, moan over...

I think the more important question is will the price drops filter through to the UK at some point? Why are we still unaltered with the US dropping twice?

Doing simple maths and following standard exchange rates on XE.com the US model 3 RWD s $39,990. taking off incentive $2k and federal credit $3,750 then add the destiantion fee $1,390 (forget the gas saving number as it's a variable for every driver) the total price is $35,630. In UK pounds this is £28,647

Could this be the future cheap car right now?

What will the Model 2 bring???
I think your assumptions are wrong.

I assume it will have the same battery as the current AWD LR, and will be lighter than the AWD LR because it has one less motor.

I also understand the LR battery is lighter than the regular RWD LFP battery whilst having a greater capacity (different chemistry) and can deliver more peak current

So a LR RWD car would be the lightest model and performance would be much better than the regular RWD. Tesla did do a M3 RWD LR in the US for a while and it had a 0-60 time of 5s, I’d expect the new model to be similar