Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 MIC 2021 tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could just be that they were using up parts, and that’s it.
I'm sure that is all it is but seems odd that something like 30,000 vehicles would have been produced in China since the new clusters first started to be seen on deliveries (10,000+ into Europe) and then we get this regression.

If it's a one off then a more likely explanation is it was faulty/damaged and swapped out when it arrived in the UK and they only had the old design in spares.

I'm sure that is all it is but seems odd that something like 30,000 vehicles would have been produced in China since the new clusters first started to be seen on deliveries (10,000+ into Europe) and then we get this regression.
The lights that are approved for the UK market would not be approved for all other countries so the amount of cars they have produced is irrelevant. They probably found a pallet of them at the back of the warehouse. I don't know why people get in a tizz over them as all they will ever see.....are other peoples lights

Reading this thread, I've just checked my collection from today and I have the single rear light also.

I made a comparison to my September 2021 collection, and that had the new dual reverse rear lights. But my Feb 2020 Fremont Model 3 had the old lights.

Very weird how Feb 2020 is old, September 2021 is new, December 2021 is back to old.

With that said, the new December 2021 seems to have vastly improved front lights versus even the September 2021 Model 3. I'm guessing this means they're likely the front matrix lights?

Also, checking my charging data, it looks like I have the 60kWh pack for the SR+ so that is good news!

Copied from my post in the delivery thread. Looks like I also have the old lights which are really bad quality/design versus my September 2021 M3 lights.

A bit disappointing really as I often appreciated the dual reverse lights for extra brightness when reversing down my dark street and drive (compared to the Feb 2020 Old Light M3 I had before the Sep 2021 New Light M3 I had September-December). The brake lights and indicators also seem far less safe to be perfectly honest - and that's speaking as a Tesla M3 owner since early 2020, so I've spent plenty of time with the old rear lights.

"I've just checked my collection from today and I have the single rear light also.

I made a comparison to my September 2021 collection, and that had the new dual reverse rear lights. But my Feb 2020 Fremont Model 3 had the old lights.

Very weird how Feb 2020 is old, September 2021 is new, December 2021 is back to old.

With that said, the new December 2021 seems to have vastly improved front lights versus even the September 2021 Model 3. I'm guessing this means they're likely the front matrix lights?"

I’m lost. It’s all a bit forest gump isn’t it? Life’s just like a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you’re gonna get… probably random parts left over that need used up or short supply on new and back to old.

To be honest i have not even checked myself. I’ve had the car a week and really not had a chance to catch a proper look at the rear cluster configuration.

I’ll ask my wife tomorrow, she has not even paired her phone to the new car let alone driven it, to take pics whilst I’m selecting reverse, pressing the brake and indicating. My M3LR is a q4 oct/ nov 2021 build.

It’s the nature of manufacturing. There isn’t anything sinister or deliberate about it, it’s basically just luck of the draw.

The only way to be absolutely sure would be to order and take delivery long after a transitional period, so there’s no chance of you getting “parts bin” stuff, but even then there’s just as much chance of something else being “missing” because your car was just too early for it, the new parts didn’t arrive in time while it was being manufactured, etc.

The car is pretty much always in a transitory state, there only seems to be relatively short windows, months, where it isn’t.

I recall people at the start of the year getting the new frunk shell but minus the heatpump. There was a period of about 6 months (I’m included in this) where Tesla stopped doing dimming wing mirrors, before bringing it back again. There is a short-lived variant of the first generation centre console that has USB-A and USB-C ports.

I think people are always going to be disappointed if they try to chase upgrades or revisions of hardware. And I’m talking as someone who has spent ~£1000 trying to get a heated steering wheel working on my 2020 M3P, only to find that other hardware and harnesses have changed in the car that will make it practically impossible to get working in an OEM fashion, so I’m guilty of it myself.

At some point next year cars will be coming over with lithium 12v batteries, an upgraded AMD Ryzen MCU, and possibly other stuff too. There will be people ordering next year who miss out on one or more of those things just because of bad luck. It doesn’t mean their car doesn’t work or that they didn’t get exactly what they ordered.

How exactly did you word the service request? I'm not happy about the single fog and reversing light but really not sure how I can phrase it. It's not as if they don't work :rolleyes:
I originally said my led bulbs have gone because that’s what I thought had happened.

I then updated the service notes when I realised that I had the wrong lights.

I just said that I had friends who picked up at the same time and it appears I have old 2020 lights on a 2021 model. (Even though the lights are early 2021 design)

If you don’t ask you don’t get, if people remain silent then they won’t do anything.

How exactly did you word the service request? I'm not happy about the single fog and reversing light but really not sure how I can phrase it. It's not as if they don't work :rolleyes:
To add I think a mobile technician is worth booking if you can, don’t think you’ll have much a chance at a service centre.

I’ve just got to convince 1 guy vs a handful at a service centre. I’ve heard if an led is gone they just replace the whole light so he probably chucks a whole assembly in the car in prep for the service anyway.

Reactions: plisken
To add I think a mobile technician is worth booking if you can, don’t think you’ll have much a chance at a service centre.

I’ve just got to convince 1 guy vs a handful at a service centre. I’ve heard if an led is gone they just replace the whole light so he probably chucks a whole assembly in the car in prep for the service anyway.
Well - I love these urban myths...lets see if this one is true - Seems a bit wasteful to me. Lets hope he doesn't test them before starting the work!

It would be really good if you could post up before and after photos to enlighten (pardon the pun) us and show off the new car!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryT
Seems a bit wasteful to me.

What does seem wasteful to me is getting a service guy out because the windows on your new car are squeaking a little [gut response] 😇

But aye, its a bit annoying when you pay the same as the next guy and he gets the upgraded version of whatever and you get the previous (now obviously deemed inferior version), thats how I'm viewing the lights and will be trying to get them replaced also.

@Oxstock I'm almost sure the sales guy mentioned at one of my test drives that they had new lights (along with boombox), so I naturally assumed this was what he was taking about and yet here we are and don't get them. My driveway is dark, lots of trees, 2 lights are better than one :cool:

It’s relevant because the same ones are used across Europe and other countries. There aren’t UK specific rear lights.
Tesla list 2 part numbers for the rear lights

1LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE,LH1077399-00-DOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11
1LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE GLOBAL, LH1502086-99-DOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11

Last edited:
But aye, its a bit annoying when you pay the same as the next guy and he gets the upgraded version of whatever and you get the previous (now
That's the Tesla way unfortunately. Next month there will be more hardware upgrades that won't be on your car... You just have to live with it being that way... Anyway life too short to worry about this kinds of issues. .