Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 performance lifetime average Wh per mile

What's the lifetime average wh/mile of your M3P

• < 250

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 251-260

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 261-270

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 271-280

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • 281-290

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • 291-300

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 301-310

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • 311-320

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 321-330

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 331-340

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 341-350

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • >350

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me feel better - Just picked up my M3P and was thinking my numbers seemed high from what I've read online. 351 Wh/mi here with 450 miles on the odometer.

How do you drive? i was around 350 wh/mi when i first got it because I was driving pretty fast 😁 I also drove 80-85mph on highway consistently. My first 20k miles was about 340 wh/mi average. I switched to 18 inch wheels and dropped down to around 300 wh/mi consistently (PS4S).

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
How do you drive? i was around 350 wh/mi when i first got it because I was driving pretty fast 😁 I also drove 80-85mph on highway consistently. My first 20k miles was about 340 wh/mi average. I switched to 18 inch wheels and dropped down to around 300 wh/mi consistently (PS4S).
Not slow. Probably close to what you do with bursts above. Pretty heavy on acceleration too. What wheels did you swap to? That's the one thing outside of a bit of tint that I want to do with the car.

My average wh/mI has been decreasing with the cooling weather and my new roof shades… down to about 335 wh/mi (from 350).

-Picked up May 2022
-NM Heat
-10k miles
-3 AutoX events and one umm… highway convoy event :p
NM Heat. Texas heat is similar or worse. All windows (plus windshield with LLUMAR AIR 80) with LLumar IRX ceramic tint on the doors and back. Get sunshades for the roof glass - as doing all of them helps reduce cabin heat drastically (windshield tint reduces dashboard heat, which keeps the air coming out of the vents cold) and energy to keep the ac going. With all windows tinted and roof shades - it's a night and day difference. Plus - install new air cabin filters once a year too.

BTW - My tinter said that the model Y's regardless of tint run hotter inside, due to the more volume of space to cool. They will not tint the roof glass, as tint increases to glass temps and roof glass cracking is higher.

Color of the vehicle and interior color will make a major difference in heat retention too. Lighter colors reflect heat better and lighter interior absorbs less heat.

285 - 300 wh/mi with 20" and 42 psi. Helps to have a slick and clean car for aero efficiency - use a spray on ceramic coating + rainX after each wash. You all have heavy "wanna feel in the instant torque" feet. I use to do that a lot at first, but as time progresses I just cruse. Plus - heavy foot burns expensive rubber shoes fast too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Not slow. Probably close to what you do with bursts above. Pretty heavy on acceleration too. What wheels did you swap to? That's the one thing outside of a bit of tint that I want to do with the car.

I got the T-Sportline TSS wheels. It was cost effective and its a clone of Tesla's Arachnid wheels which I really like. I really like 18s because the ride quality has gotten a lot better. Frankly, I don't really feel that much of a difference in handling feel between 20s and 18s. I guess they don't look as good as 20s but I don't really care about that.

1688139967580.png

Helps to have a slick and clean car for aero efficiency - use a spray on ceramic coating + rainX after each wash.
Pretty sure the aerodynamicists on the planet would disagree with you that micro surface roughness makes any difference to aero drag at 70 MPH on a non-laminar shape like a car.

Too bad Mythbusters isn't still on to test this. They did demonstrate that the exact reverse is true however:

My tinter said that the model Y's regardless of tint run hotter inside, due to the more volume of space to cool.
This is equally dubious from a physics standpoint.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evpowerdan
Pretty sure the aerodynamicists on the planet would disagree with you that micro surface roughness makes any difference to aero drag at 70 MPH on a non-laminar shape like a car.

Too bad Mythbusters isn't still on to test this. They did demonstrate that the exact reverse is true however:

Pretty sure its been proven that V-tech stickers improve aero and add horsepower. I can't find any Mythbuster disproving that theory either...

I guess Adrian Newey (Red Bull chief designer and aero principle) should dimple the F1 car and pour mud over it to make it more aero efficient? Nonsense, a slick vehicle will enable the aero design to maximize the efficiency flow. Last step in increasing your car's aerodynamics after reducing weight you have to move and design, you can thoroughly polish the vehicle's exterior to make that as smooth as possible. A car with a smooth outside surface provides less resistance to air traveling over and around it, lowering drag to a point.

Cooling - less cubic feet to cool and surface greenhouse glass - the cooler you will keep the space. Presuming the M3 and MY have the same heat pump systems in terms of size for cooling and overall insultaion - Y has much more volume to cool. Seat to the pants driving both of them in the summer Texas heat will tell you there is a difference.

I guess Adrian Newey (Red Bull chief designer and aero principle) should dimple the F1 car and pour mud over it to make it more aero efficient? Nonsense, a slick vehicle will enable the aero design to maximize the efficiency flow. Last step in increasing your car's aerodynamics after reducing weight you have to move and design, you can thoroughly polish the vehicle's exterior to make that as smooth as possible. A car with a smooth outside surface provides less resistance to air traveling over and around it, lowering drag to a point.

Cooling - less cubic feet to cool and surface greenhouse glass - the cooler you will keep the space. Presuming the M3 and MY have the same heat pump systems in terms of size for cooling and overall insultaion - Y has much more volume to cool. Seat to the pants driving both of them in the summer Texas heat will tell you there is a difference.
I think a lot of this stuff depends on the shape of the car and the speed regime its made to operate in. Dimples can be used to trip up laminar flow to create vorticies which energize the boundary layer and keep flow attached to a surface, but there's a lot of calculation into where and how big those dimples should be. F1 cars tend to use vortex generators (see Ferrari's new front wing this weekend ---- not that Ferrari has been a prime example of performance in F1 lately :D).

All I'm saying is that stuff does work, but its usually done to solve a problem they couldnt solve any other way and its not done willy nilly. So randomly throwing vortex generators on your car to look like a Lancer Evolution or dimpling your car to look a golf ball will more than likely hurt its aero performance unless you're really lucky. A lot of engineering goes into that kind of stuff.

A way you could really improve aero on cars thats wildly unpopular due to how it looks is to skirt the rear wheels. But its really ugly.