Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 recalls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As @Mr H mentioned, disconnecting the pass-through cables (and powering down the control unit), and also reconnecting original cables as stock would just return the boot back to normal manual operation. The struts will be fine with manual movement I imagine.

Though it’s not certain what will happen and I guess it’s the risk taken when fitting these aftermarket kits.
As others have said I’m not going to lose sleep over it. Will get it looked at the next time it’s in. Pointless trying to do anything right now because it sounds like they aren’t geared up for it in the UK anyway.

Reactions: doats1
Here is the email I received from Tesla this morning. I bolded the relevant part:

Tesla has decided to proactively recall model year 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles to inspect and retrofit the trunk lid harness. Our records indicate that your vehicle(s), XYZ, may be affected by this recall.

On certain Model 3 vehicles, the trunk lid harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display. Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this condition.

No immediate action is required if you own a Model 3 vehicle affected by this recall. If you experience a loss of rearview camera display, you may continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using your mirrors when backing. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region and inspect and retrofit your vehicle, all free of charge.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

The problem is "solid core coaxial cable" becuase they are not the best when used in a flexing cable environment. Even with a cable guide it will eventually brake as the copper core becomes "work hardened". It may take many boot open/close cycles, but it will eventually fail but may take many years... It really should have been "a fine stranded core" for the longest life...

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryW
They will cancel all of them.

Don’t know why people are trying to book appointments now. The process hasn’t even been formalised in the UK yet, and they don’t even have the parts. Service centres probably know less about it right now than enthusiastic owners do.

It’s not a life or death issue. They’re estimating that only 1% of affected cars will develop the fault. Until people started talking about checking VINs etc they were all blissfully unaware and enjoying their cars.

It’ll get sorted the next time a SC sees your car.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Checked and mine is now on the site (thank you for the VIN lookup link) Have a service engineer here now to fix an issue, he also mentioned about some sealant needed for the suspension, which is a recall item, but then didn't have the stuff to do it. When I mentioned this one he didn't know anything about it, so printed out the sheet for him. They are coming back to do them

that's the reply you will get if you try to book an appointment
1641561816860.png

It should be worth noting that, unlike the US, Rear Safety Cameras weren't mandated on vehicle until last year. So anything before then won't need a "safety" recall so Tesla aren't likely to rush the recall in the UK

I received an email about this as well, I suspect everyone in the UK has. Not going to do anything about it right now, not least of which because the email says not to, but also because I have an auto trunk mod so not sure how that’s going to be handled.

The FAQ says that the job takes 40 minutes if the cable is found to be compromised, which sounds like quite a while - I guess they would have to pull through a new cable through the conduit going from the boot lid to the car?