Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 tint options and feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I all, I have been looking and reading all the posts on here and on Tesla's forums. There have been a lot of posts all throughout 2018 regarding tints. Which one to choose, where to go, to do the front or not, to do a full back or partial back.

Well its mid 2019 now and no one has mentioned any updates on this topic. So I thought this will be a good place for updates.
How does your tint preform?
Which brand did you go with?
What was the cost?
Which windows did you get tinted?
Did you tint 1 piece, 2 piece, tint to the defroster line, or no tint on the back/top window?

I am in the market to get the windows tinted so this will also help others to get an idea from some of those who have already gotten their windows done.

Thanks

You can't go wrong with XPEL, LLumar, 3M, suntek. I went with XPEL XR and XR+ for windshield and they are amazing. I paid $650 total for windshield and tint with full one piece rear. It was $450 for everything besides the windshield. I personally would do full one piece rear to not have to deal with knowing the line is at the defroster line and it wouldn't be really perfect. I am also on the east coast so your prices will vary.

Tint doesnt change that much (2018 information will be relevant now) and costs are all over the map depending on where you are. I went with 3m crystalline and am very happy with it. Tinted entire car, including windshield at 70%, and rest of car at 20% including back window 1 piece and glass roof.

Tint doesnt change that much (2018 information will be relevant now) and costs are all over the map depending on where you are. I went with 3m crystalline and am very happy with it. Tinted entire car, including windshield at 70%, and rest of car at 20% including back window 1 piece and glass roof.

In San Diego too and I’d be tempted to see your car.. I tinted the same and didn’t realize how “brown” the 20% appears (with white interior though). Best thing about the tint is that the AC can run at 73-75 and feel cool.

In San Diego too and I’d be tempted to see your car.. I tinted the same and didn’t realize how “brown” the 20% appears (with white interior though). Best thing about the tint is that the AC can run at 73-75 and feel cool.

Doesnt look brown to me, but my tesla is blue on black seats. you basically can not see into the car from the side windows at further than about 4 feet or so. I love it, but also am worried about getting a ticket. I have pulled up next to police officers before and they havent done anything yet.

I really dislike the "fishbowl" effect I feel in cars which is why I tinted my windows so dark (and I like the look but not really being seen is as big a driver as look for me). I am a guy who would never (ever ever ever EVER) own a convertible for example. I cant even stand to ride in them.

@M3toMod3 I am in north county san diego for work every day, and live in temecula. If you want to hook up somewhere to take a look, I am game. Im also assuming by your user name here that you are (or at least were) a "bmw guy/girl" prior to your model 3 so its likely we have that in common too.

Sorry for OT part of this post.

I went with Xpel Prime XR + on all windows except for the windshield and small roof window above the driver. I chose 55% because I like to see the white interior contrast against the dark blue exterior paint. I chose Xpel mainly for the solar heat rejection. I also have Xpel PPF and have been very impressed with the quality of their PPF. The car is cooler with the tint. I run the AC less often, saving wear and tear on the AC system. I paid $700 out the door and I live in SoCal.

With the XPEL brand, they offer the XR series and the XR PRIME Plus series. They are not the same. The Prime Plus is their highest grade film and provides more IR and heat blocking than the XR series. You should make sure the shop has experience with Model 3s and only go to a shop that does the back big window in 1 piece. Adding a very light film to the windshield will help with the heat blocking too. I would expect to spend $900-$1200 on the installation. Prices vary per shop.

I spent 120.00 mobile guy to tint my windows only and bought roof shades which keeps my car cool in the summer and take it off in the winter to warm and have the option of clear roof viewing. It has worked great.

Also, OP one thing is for sure in regards to this stuff...

The BRAND of tint matters much much (MUCH) less than the skill of the installer / shop that is putting it on. Pick your SHOP first, based on installer skill / comfort with the shop, then go with the tint brand and level that fits your budget.

You will have much more success and happiness that way. If you are stuck on a particular brand, you will then need to narrow down your search to installers that use that brand.

At a particular category, all the top brands are somewhat similar (with differences in heat rejection, perceived shade, etc) but installer skill is #1 and worth paying for (and is more important than which particular brand tint you get).

I would imagine that @Premiertint would agree with me as well

I do agree about the installer/shop making a huge difference in the finished look of the installation.

Mojito, for the top end Ceramic window films, $120 would barely cover the cost of the material and gas to show up for a mobile guy. The films we use at our shop cost 4 - 6 times more than the average "basic" films that most shops offer. My point is there is no possible way your mobile guy is putting the same level of film on. With that said, if you're happy with the results, that really is all that matters. :) The film they put on probably provides glare reduction, a nice external look/appearance, and reduces the heat a bit too.

Premiertint You are right I did not expect high quality tint at that price and yes it serves my purpose living here in Florida will I notice the difference between a high end tint and a economy tint I could not tell you as far as heat reflection and other benefits you might be better to inform us. I am happy that I did not tint my roof though. In the future I may go to the higher end if this does not work for me. Thank you for your input.

Doesnt look brown to me, but my tesla is blue on black seats. you basically can not see into the car from the side windows at further than about 4 feet or so. I love it, but also am worried about getting a ticket. I have pulled up next to police officers before and they havent done anything yet.

I really dislike the "fishbowl" effect I feel in cars which is why I tinted my windows so dark (and I like the look but not really being seen is as big a driver as look for me). I am a guy who would never (ever ever ever EVER) own a convertible for example. I cant even stand to ride in them.

@M3toMod3 I am in north county san diego for work every day, and live in temecula. If you want to hook up somewhere to take a look, I am game. Im also assuming by your user name here that you are (or at least were) a "bmw guy/girl" prior to your model 3 so its likely we have that in common too.

Guy. I’m over in Carlsbad.and work a bit further south.

Long list of Bimmers in my 15 year history: manual X3, manual 135, 335d, manual M3. Shame but after 6 months of driveshaft safety recall to the M3, no remedy, and BMWNA jerking me around, I’m done with them.

It’s not that I’m unhappy with the tint, just wanted a blue/green hue/coloring as it would have gone great with the blue/blacklgreen color scheme I ended up with.

Nothing wrong with brownish looking tint IMO. Maui Jim's HD Bronze is one of the best neutral colors that really makes colors pop. (Although I'm currently rocking Maui Rose for my sunglasses as it has the same HD affect but makes sunsets look even more amazing).

I don't like greenish tints though.

The best tint to reduce temperature is probably Photosync. No complaints with my photosync, it's probably more in the gray spectrum. I also have Dark Gray Maui Jims but they are the most boring pair (great for really bright days and driving though, they still make colors pop more than no sunglasses, but not as much as the HD bronze aka brown or rose lenses). So if you want a neutral color photosync may suite you. It also supposedly darkens slightly when parked in the hot sun and has the best heat rejection properties. The darkening effect is kinda hard to tell, but it may be more obvious if you did a side by side with one car parked in the shade them moved into the sun, just don't think it will work as much as eyeglasses.

Crystalline is supposedly a good tint too, although you do find more horror stories than photosync, but that may be due to it being a non exclusive tint (anyone can order it vs only authorized installers afaik). I also read there was some issues with the tint itself it in the past (may or may not be from installers), but if there was a bad batch that has likely been resolved. Photosyc is a very thick tint, and may or may not cause more light refraction on the rear defrosters than thinner tints. Crystalline seems like a good value product and I don't think there is anything wrong with the brownish tint unless you just don't like it, and photosync is also a good value when compared to llumar which also makes very good tints (% more expensive vs % more effective).

You wouldn't be wrong to go with any of these products and should be more concerned with the installer, and having the back glass done in one piece. If they can't do one piece on the rear, just find another tint or shop.

BTW photosync is a tiny bit on the green side which I typically steer away from, but I would certainly describe it more gray than green so it's not an issue for me. This is photosync 35%. front back, and rear window.

ceramic.jpg

Last edited:
So if one were to recommend a tint, what would it be?
I had Formula 1 Pinnacle on my BMW, i have experience with that. but now were going in the direction of more IR blocking.

So that being said....
Llumar Stratos
3M Crystalline
Spectra Photosync
Xpel Prime XR Plus
There might be more...

What is everyone going with?
I wanted to add a poll on this thread but cant for some reason.

this reminds me i still need to get together witjh you at some point to see your car...i still haven't gotten mine done, too much other stuff going on, but with it finally getting hot up here now i'm starting to want to get it over with.

So if one were to recommend a tint, what would it be?
I had Formula 1 Pinnacle on my BMW, i have experience with that. but now were going in the direction of more IR blocking.

So that being said....
Llumar Stratos
3M Crystalline
Spectra Photosync
Xpel Prime XR Plus
There might be more...

What is everyone going with?
I wanted to add a poll on this thread but cant for some reason.

My friends, fiance and i went with XPEL Prime Black. We absolutley love it. I don't think you can go wrong with anything from your list above, however you're paying a little more for not much more IR block for the Spectra and Prime Plus. I'm sure you've seen the thread that shows the ratio of each of those. Anyways, my mobile guy (who's doing 2 -3 model 3's a week) is charging about $475 to $525 for sides and rear glass. Another $175-$200 for the front windshield.