Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 windows frozen and will not drop when opening car door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You lost me as to why it is not a solution. It may be a slightly different process than what you are used to but it involves no more time it seems, just a rearrange of the order of things. Just do your process with "3" being the first step instead of the last.

Dan
It's not a solution because "run the heater for half an hour before leaving" is an insanely wasteful requirement.

Sorry for the naive question from lifetime Californian.... Do other vehicles have frozen handle issues too? I think I'd be irritated if most cars are fine with this but my Tesla windows and handles were freezing!
Frozen windows we get all the time when it’s real cold and snowing but never a frozen door handle. I could get into my ICE 100% of the time, even in an extremely bad ice storm, into my 1992 Accord. I haven’t experienced this with my Model 3 yet but winter is just getting started......

Reactions: Big City
FWIW I've had issues getting into plenty cars because of frozen seals, when back in Canada.

Me too. It makes me chuckle when people say "never a frozen door handle". I don't think I've seen a vehicle without one. Plus, I've had ice so thick, you can't even get at the handle. But I've had remote starts on my vehicles for decades. Canadian Tire sells them here like washer fluid. Before that, or for those who don't have it, after an ice storm, or snow/thaw/freeze, it's boiling water, or stay home.

The great thing about remote start for those up north is that getting in at -30C (not uncommon at my cabin) is not something I like doing, when I can press a button, wait 30 minutes, and the car is toasty warm. Then it was unplug the block heater before leaving.

But back on topic: this sounds like a lubricant issue that doesn't withstand freezing temps but instead acts like a glue. That's common with cheap locks used in freezing temps -- nothing gets them moving without a lot of heat or solvent. Hopefully, Tesla gets it resolved. There were long threads here about how bad the S was in winter and things got worked out. With the 3 at least there's a proven history. With the S, the sky was falling during the first winters -- according to some here -- while others took a more logical, rational approach.

Last edited:
In DFW, I occasionally had my car doors freeze shut with a thick freezing rain storm. The entire car would get coated in thick ice. But because the handles protruded out, I could usually muscle the door open past the ice.

This. I've had frozen doors--and windows--in plenty of cars (live in CO, grew up in Chicago). But your typical vehicle has a protruding door handle that's much easier to go all Hulk on, and the windows aren't something that you typically care to open when it's hell-froze-over degrees out.

It's not a solution because "run the heater for half an hour before leaving" is an insanely wasteful requirement.

Agreed, it's not a great solution, but it would be helpful for the window issue, which sounds like it's the far bigger of the two (it takes a lot of ice to make the door hard to open, vs a little ice in the seal for the window). And it's something that folks would like regardless of this specific issue. Even letting people preheat for 5 min before routine departures makes the car a lot more comfy with minimal energy waste.

[Edit - I should also mention again that you can do this, and a lot more, with TeslaFi. That's not necessarily a solution, and Tesla should still add this to the car itself. But TeslaFi is neat, and I like to mention it to new owners when its capabilities are relevant.]

But, but, but: this is the Internet!

internet-serious-business.jpg

So, for the uneducated here, besides heating the vehicle, what other possible solutions to this problem would there be? To me the concept of preheating the car seems very logical and reasonable. Some feel it is too wasteful. What other options are there?

Dan
  • I plan to put some of this along the window seals to hopefully lessen the chance of stickage.
  • Make sure not to wash your car if sub-freezing weather is in the forecast for the next 24 hours or so.
  • After washing, be sure to lower and raise windows a few times to pull out some more moisture from inside the door.
  • Similar advice if your car was rained on and it is projected to drop below freezing that night.

I have been following this and other threads; I want to throw in my $.02.

As early adopters, I think many of us can look past this issue and use a bandaid to fix it (preheat, lubricant, ext). My concern is the wider market. If this issue is prevalent, there will be frustration and lead to doubt about the car; "if I cannot open the car, what else did they do wrong".

I don't think anyone here disagrees about the fact that an ice storm or freezing tempstafter rain causes door handles on most cars to freeze, but that is not the issue. As I experienced it, I and been driving for 3 hours, stopped at a client, came out an hour later, and handle was frozen @ only 30 degrees and no precipitation. That is not normal. I do not see the value in talking about the mroe rare cases (ice storms vs days with no precipitation) as we all agree frozen handles during them is normal.

The mass market is used to, and rightfully so, opening their car 100% of the time. If they cannot do that with the new car of the future, it casts much doubt ( as noted).

Using the app is a workaround, not a fix. Most people cannot plan that far ahead for a variety of reasons. Besides that, last minute things can pop up all the time. I just posted this in another thread, but it seems very relevant:

Sorry :) I've been reading the other posts and this is really infuriating to me. Yes that works as a bandaid, but no, it is not a solution. I should be able to get into my car. For me this is not feasible.

Few scenarios:

• I have a very crazy schedule and have client meetings that I never know their exact length, thus cannot judge.
  • Also, in the middle of my meeting, I am not pulling out my phone, waiting a 30 seconds to a few minutes for it to wake up, to preheat.
  • Or the fact I have no cell coverage in my parking garage (granted it is warmer).
  • I have to leave the office suddenly for meetings often.
  • I have no home charging or work charging, this wasting a few % a few times a day, means even more charging (I am averaging about 1000 miles a week right now).

Yes these use cases are specific to me and not true for everyone, but some apply to some other people. Thiss is my point on the 10% that Tesla is missing. Do you think someone who has been able to open their car door reliably every day of there life for 30 years is going to be okay now having to plan to open an app and remote start Everytime? That is a ridiculous requirement if so and mainstream will rip Tesla apart for that, and rightfully so.

Disclaimer: Love my 3 to death and think it is the best car ever made, full stop. That doesn't absolve it of it's it'ss, which should be called out, to make it even better and easier for people to adopt.

I've said this a couple of times with no response from current owners, but this is a weather trim issue - right? That seems A) possible to replace at a service center B) possible to modify yourself for 5 minutes until then. I agree, I"m increasingly annoyed by these issues as i approach t-5 hours to pick up my car. My crappy old pre-owned BMW has required 0 investment from me, and this car seems like I need to babysit it... but it also seems like it's a minimal investment, frustrating or not.

Am I wrong? Seriously, if I'm wrong, tell me before I pick this thing up.

I've said this a couple of times with no response from current owners, but this is a weather trim issue - right? That seems A) possible to replace at a service center B) possible to modify yourself for 5 minutes until then. I agree, I"m increasingly annoyed by these issues as i approach t-5 hours to pick up my car. My crappy old pre-owned BMW has required 0 investment from me, and this car seems like I need to babysit it... but it also seems like it's a minimal investment, frustrating or not.

Am I wrong? Seriously, if I'm wrong, tell me before I pick this thing up.

I am on the same boat with you, I live in Chicago and this has me worried, I am suppose to pick up my car in 2 hours. I rarely had issues with my prior cars (Mazda 3, rav4, Accord, rx8) in Chicago with door handles and windows. I bought silicone seal and deicer just in case.

I talked to my sales person who seems to be honest throughout and he said he heard about reports. He also owns a 3 which is why I called him last night and he said he hasn't had issues this winter with Chicago cold and hasn't noticed it at work yet. I'm still doubtful but it helped some of my worries

Reactions: Bleedblue82
I talked to my sales person who seems to be honest throughout and he said he heard about reports. He also owns a 3 which is why I called him last night and he said he hasn't had issues this winter with Chicago cold and hasn't noticed it at work yet. I'm still doubtful but it helped some of my worries

For what it's worth, I've had no issues here in CO yet, either. Which is not to minimize the issues, but just to say that we need to be careful not to get too bent out of shape just yet. If February rolls around and 50% of us have had issues, then let's get the pitchforks. Currently I think we don't have a solid grasp on just how widespread these issues are.

How come the vehicle doesn't provide a pre-heat start time in the menu? It could have a 1-hour timeout and some restrictions, or geo-fenced. But nominally you should be able to exit your car (for example, at work), and just tell the car before you exit to start pre-heating at 4:00 pm or something. Or even better, the car can sense the outdoor temperature and determine how long it needs to pre-warm. I mean, my $200 smart thermostat can do this simple function (pre-warm my house for when I arrive).

How come the vehicle doesn't provide a pre-heat start time in the menu? It could have a 1-hour timeout and some restrictions, or geo-fenced. But nominally you should be able to exit your car (for example, at work), and just tell the car before you exit to start pre-heating at 4:00 pm or something. Or even better, the car can sense the outdoor temperature and determine how long it needs to pre-warm. I mean, my $200 smart thermostat can do this simple function (pre-warm my house for when I arrive).

Agreed. In the meantime, via TeslaFi you can set up geo-fenced preconditioning, and can optionally also tie it to being plugged in.

• Helpful
Reactions: more863-also
We had a nice freezing rain storm here in Denver today. I intentionally left my car out in it to get some data. Temp was about 25F.

It sat for about 90 min, twice. The handles required a little loving push to open, and the windows came down to free the doors with no trouble. I preheated for maybe 5 minutes.

This is obviously not the same as sitting out overnight in below zero temps, but I think it'll be pretty rare to have major issues so long as you don't get the car washed right before a freeze and therefore have water all through the window seals.

I do still plan to put some conditioner on the window seals just to be safe.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142106724_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142059352_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142111778_COVER.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142123709_COVER.jpg IMG_20181117_143307.jpg

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142123709_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181117142123709_COVER.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 73
OK. Add this to the snow tire problem and Tesla's making it much easier for me to wait. Rather than just waiting for the SR, I'm now also waiting for fixes to snow tire regen and windows.

I park in a garage at home, but not at work or any other place I go. Preheat the car isn't a fix.

Ironically I had a Tesla sales call message on my answering machine yesterday.
What would you do in an ICE car with frameless windows that is not able to preheat at all?

Small set of data, I've had my car for 3 days and it has been raining/light snow all those days with temps 20 to 30. So far no issues, though my car is in a garage at night, not heated. Hoping the trend continues. I'm going to silicone just in case