Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like all the stealth performances have a build date of 7/19. Mine did. Enjoying mine so far even though I’ve only been able to put a measly 22 miles on it.

Yeah, no reports of August or September builds AFAIK. It is odd to me that people are still reporting that they are seeing Stealth vehicles at the stores/delivery centers though. You’d think they would all be gone if they hadn’t made any for 6-8 weeks.

Curious whether we will ever see any September builds. You would think they would want to maximize profits and revenue before end of quarter, but maybe it was all an experiment and it actually hurt P3D+ sales too much or something.

Yeah, no reports of August or September builds AFAIK. It is odd to me that people are still reporting that they are seeing Stealth vehicles at the stores/delivery centers though. You’d think they would all be gone if they hadn’t made any for 6-8 weeks.

Have August or September builds of other models been reported?

If I hadn't joined this forum, I would have no idea that the stealth even existed and would have just ordered a LR AWD online. I had to specifically ask the SA to find one. So, since it's only on the "secret menu", many Tesla buyers may not know it's an option.

• Love
Reactions: john85775

If I hadn't joined this forum, I would have no idea that the stealth even existed and would have just ordered a LR AWD online. I had to specifically ask the SA to find one. So, since it's only on the "secret menu", many Tesla buyers may not know it's an option.
Yeah, and for people that order online, there's no way they'd ever find out about them.

I was lucky... I went to a Tesla Store, and my SA knew all about the P3D-, and mentioned it immediately when my wife asked what they had available in Model 3 Performance.

So yeah, a combination of things had to happen for me to get lucky enough to get my car:

1. I had to go to a Tesla Store

2. My wife had to ask about what they had for Model 3 Performance cars in inventory

3. My SA had to actually *know* about them (which seems to be hit and miss)

Scratching any one of those three items off would've resulted in me not getting my dream car.

I'm soooo glad I don't have the Performance suspension; the non-performance suspension is just right at the edge of being too firm for me. It isn't quite uncomfortable, but it's definitely as stiff as I'd ever want.

Edit: Got so wrapped up in my experience (sorry for that), that I forgot to answer your question... as of yet, there have been no P3D- cars with anything other than a July '19 build date yet reported here on TMC. VINS for other models have been reported in the various waiting rooms, with delivery dates supposed to start today!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nels

No idea, but I would assume so, otherwise it's going to be a brutal quarter for Tesla! It is possible that a lot of recently built cars have been going to other countries, but I don't follow all the delivery waitlist threads, so I assume people in North America are still getting vehicles that are hot off the line. Just maybe not P3D Stealths, since there's not any evidence they are currently making them.

No idea, but I would assume so, otherwise it's going to be a brutal quarter for Tesla! It is possible that a lot of recently built cars have been going to other countries, but I don't follow all the delivery waitlist threads, so I assume people in North America are still getting vehicles that are hot off the line. Just maybe not P3D Stealths, since there's not any evidence they are currently making them.
The current running theory is that the manufacturing lines were geared for European cars for the month of August. So the entire month worth of new Model 3's are currently on boats, trying for European delivery dates before the end of the quarter (this month, obviously :) ).

It appears that Fremont re-tooled for North American cars starting with the first production date in September. Guys/gals in the various waiting rooms are reporting getting VINS for their orders, with the east coast peeps getting their VINS earlier than west coast. It boils down to logistics... they're getting the cars made and on trucks to head east with the early month build cars, then working their way across the country so everyone gets their cars before the end of the month.

Last time I checked the Performance Waiting Room thread, there was supposed to be a delivery today. But I haven't checked that thread to see if it actually happened. It was an east coast location, too.

So happy to see them finally getting back to North American orders. Tesla really dropped the ball by not accurately updating estimated delivery dates, and really ruffled a few feathers with the extended (and unexplained) delivery times.

As much as I love Elon, his company, and OMG do I love his cars, this must be fixed; once all of us true believers have our cars (and by true believer I mean the guys/gals that are willing to go through a horrible wait, no communication, and a terrible delivery experience), the rest of the potential buyer segment is going to stay away until Tesla gets their act together with the entire order, communication, and delivery experience. Honestly, I'm more worried about this than I am the rather slow progress being made on FSD.

They have a fantastic product, for sure. But keeping their customer base happy is just as (if not more) important than producing the finest car ever made.

This is the first car I've ever owned in my 52 years where the excitement of getting a new car hasn't waned one bit. I'm one month and five days into ownership, and I still get all tingly when I drive the darn thing. At my age, it takes a lot to get the needle on my Tingle Meter to budge. This car keeps that needle bumping around like I'm a teenager again. Best car. Ever.

The current running theory is that the manufacturing lines were geared for European cars for the month of August. So the entire month worth of new Model 3's are currently on boats, trying for European delivery dates before the end of the quarter (this month, obviously :) ).

It appears that Fremont re-tooled for North American cars starting with the first production date in September.

All that strategy makes sense. Not too surprising - there has been kind of a lull in questions about new cars from new owners in NA over the last few weeks. I guess we'll find out soon whether they threw a few Stealths in the build mix (which would not be built to order as I understand it).

Yes, it is a good car.

Reactions: Phlier
It appears that Fremont re-tooled for North American cars starting with the first production date in September. Guys/gals in the various waiting rooms are reporting getting VINS for their orders, with the east coast peeps getting their VINS earlier than west coast. It boils down to logistics... they're getting the cars made and on trucks to head east with the early month build cars, then working their way across the country so everyone gets their cars before the end of the month.

For what it's worth I passed two trucks full of Model 3s heading eastbound on the Ohio Turnpike yesterday evening... looks like deliveries should be gearing up.

Reactions: Cultgti
Anyone know of any M3P- inventory that has shown up recently?

I’ve been patiently waiting and I am getting desperate.
I wish I could bring you some good news, but unfortunately, I think you are going to be waiting a long, long time if you want a brand new P3D-. Like next year, or possibly never. :(

My SA and many other SA's have been quoted as saying that this car was a one time deal, manufactured only during the month of July, and Tesla has zero plans at this time to make more. At all.

What we have seen on this board would seem to back their statements up entirely.

I wish I could bring you some good news, but unfortunately, I think you are going to be waiting a long, long time if you want a brand new P3D-. Like next year, or possibly never. :(

My SA and many other SA's have been quoted as saying that this car was a one time deal, manufactured only during the month of July, and Tesla has zero plans at this time to make more. At all.

What we have seen on this board would seem to back their statements up entirely.

Forgot to say thank you for your helpful reply.

Reactions: Phlier
Is the AWD much slower? Be honest. Of course it’s “fast” compared to 99% of cars out there but how does it compare to a P3D-

AWD is still very fast. It’s 0-60 in 4.0x all day and then about equal with the P for higher speed hits. I do wish I had a P but not for the $11k more it would have cost me at the time in late 2018. I would have gotten a P3- and still foolishly hope for a firmware upgrade at some point.

Is the AWD much slower? Be honest. Of course it’s “fast” compared to 99% of cars out there but how does it compare to a P3D-

Still a fast car
From 40-90 there is almost no difference between the P and AWD versions
From standstill is where the P has a big advantage
1 sec faster 0-60 which is all in the 0-40 range so yeah that is a big difference
Regular highway driving though it may not be felt as much

Still a fast car
From 40-90 there is almost no difference between the P and AWD versions
From standstill is where the P has a big advantage
1 sec faster 0-60 which is all in the 0-40 range so yeah that is a big difference
Regular highway driving though it may not be felt as much
Agreed.

And I gotta say... every time I mash the go pedal from a standstill, I regret the monthly payment just a little less. :)

But yes, the LR AWD is a very quick car. Every time a bit of regret comes into your mind about not having the Performance version, thinking about the price difference takes the sting out, I'd imagine.

It just boils down to how you feel about cars... Are cars a major part of the enjoyment you get from life? If the answer is yes, then making your world a bit happier is hard to put a dollar figure on.

I've been married for 25 years. During that time, I've always bought cars that are one step from the top of the line. My wife has heard me say, "well... it's not the top of the line, but it's close enough" so many times, noticing the regret on my face, that she finally stepped in when it came to the Tesla.

We had just test driven a LR AWD, and I said, "well, it's only one step from the top of the line..." and my wife interrupted me: "Nope, not going to happen. You're not going to have any regrets this time. What do you have in stock in the Performance version?" And the rest is history. No regrets. At all.

Agreed.

And I gotta say... every time I mash the go pedal from a standstill, I regret the monthly payment just a little less. :)

But yes, the LR AWD is a very quick car. Every time a bit of regret comes into your mind about not having the Performance version, thinking about the price difference takes the sting out, I'd imagine.

It just boils down to how you feel about cars... Are cars a major part of the enjoyment you get from life? If the answer is yes, then making your world a bit happier is hard to put a dollar figure on.

I've been married for 25 years. During that time, I've always bought cars that are one step from the top of the line. My wife has heard me say, "well... it's not the top of the line, but it's close enough" so many times, noticing the regret on my face, that she finally stepped in when it came to the Tesla.

We had just test driven a LR AWD, and I said, "well, it's only one step from the top of the line..." and my wife interrupted me: "Nope, not going to happen. You're not going to have any regrets this time. What do you have in stock in the Performance version?" And the rest is history. No regrets. At all.
Your wife rocks! :)

Reactions: Phlier and byeLT4