Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this not proof that an AWD and P are exactly the same from a motor/inverter/etc standpoint?

I asked a sales rep in the store in Westwood if the motors were different or if the 0-60 acceleration improvement came from the stickier tires. I was told the motors were different. But I didn’t really believe she knew WTF she was talking about. It never occurred to me that it might be software...

I asked a sales rep in the store in Westwood if the motors were different or if the 0-60 acceleration improvement came from the stickier tires. I was told the motors were different. But I didn’t really believe she knew WTF she was talking about. It never occurred to me that it might be software...

Maybe, maybe not. There's another thread that's discussing that exact topic. Seems as though all AWDs in 2018 and early 2019 have the same rear motor/drive-unit part# as all P3D+ and P3D- (new and old), but any newer AWD (non-P) have a different rear motor part#. So, it's possible that the drive unit is the same in performance editions and AWDs if they're older, but newer ones possibly different.

Is this the case for switching to an in-inventory car, or to a special order new car...

Works either way but best to make sure one is near you first before placing an order online. I reserved a regular performance then called a SA and asked to have the vehicle changed by giving him my reservation number. I did this after first finding out the stealth model I wanted was in inventory locally.

No tires in the world affect 0-60 times by almost a full sec ; if anything those big wheels make the car slower than if it the Aero 18's and Primacy tires.
It is 100% software

The concern with the different rear motor #'s is the one now used on the AWD regular may not have been tested to handle the loads and the one's used in the Performance are tested and pass.

Recently it came to light though that the biggest difference in the software is the Performance gets far greater HP out of the front motor.
I believe front motor part numbers are the same.

I just picked up one yesterday. The cost is $2k over LR AWD. You cannot spot it by looking online, you cannot order one online either. you need to call the store and ask them if they have one in their inventory. I was about to buy a LR AWD and called them 2 days ago, they have found one in their inventory and swapped me to it. I only paid $2k plus the tax difference.

The main reason with the stealth performance and the regular one is, it doesnt have the performance package so it just looks like any other model 3. They told me there is no hardware difference on the stealth one but they use the motors that perform the best in the factory for these models so the regular AWD cannot be unlocked as a performance in the feature. you need to get one built like this. The only visual difference is the red underline under the dual motor badge but it still can go to 60 in 3.2 sec just like the regular performance and has track mode. I think it is a better deal then performance.

I just picked up one yesterday. The cost is $2k over LR AWD. You cannot spot it by looking online, you cannot order one online either. you need to call the store and ask them if they have one in their inventory. I was about to buy a LR AWD and called them 2 days ago, they have found one in their inventory and swapped me to it. I only paid $2k plus the tax difference.

The main reason with the stealth performance and the regular one is, it doesnt have the performance package so it just looks like any other model 3. They told me there is no hardware difference on the stealth one but they use the motors that perform the best in the factory for these models so the regular AWD cannot be unlocked as a performance in the feature. you need to get one built like this. The only visual difference is the red underline under the dual motor badge but it still can go to 60 in 3.2 sec just like the regular performance and has track mode. I think it is a better deal then performance.

Current thinking is there is no difference in motors in LR/AWD and M3P. It’s all in the software.

Which leads to speculation: Will LR/AWD owners be offered a performance upgrade (for a price)? Similar to FSD, it’s a software push.

Current thinking is there is no difference in motors in LR/AWD and M3P. It’s all in the software.

Which leads to speculation: Will LR/AWD owners be offered a performance upgrade (for a price)? Similar to FSD, it’s a software push.

I agree completely and any Tesla employee that is saying they "pick the best motors for Performance" is telling a wild fib that can easily be disproven with only a rudimentary understanding of manufacturing processes. That being said Vsansel's reply is encouraging because if and when they allow upgrades of LR AWD to P and the cost is only $2000 then I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I agree completely and any Tesla employee that is saying they "pick the best motors for Performance" is telling a wild fib that can easily be disproven with only a rudimentary understanding of manufacturing processes. That being said Vsansel's reply is encouraging because if and when they allow upgrades of LR AWD to P and the cost is only $2000 then I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Performance Teslas are considerably more expensive to insure from most insurance companies. I wonder, if Tesla offered the upgrade, would we be required to inform the insurance company?

the performance uses a more powerful rear inverter (800a vs 500a in the AWD)
the rear motors are also binned and given double the run-in

its not just software..I feel like people are posting misinformation about this topic daily

the performance uses a more powerful rear inverter (800a vs 500a in the AWD)
the rear motors are also binned and given double the run-in

its not just software..I feel like people are posting misinformation about this topic daily

Better alert the press. It's just not "people" posting "misinformation". From the link I posted above:

This car is basically identical to the Model 3 Long Range All Wheel Drive, but the motors were supposedly tested and “binned,” with the best performing motors being set aside to use in the performance model. There has been some speculation that this may no longer be the case, and the motors are actually identical to those in the AWD version.

and

If indeed the “sleeper” Performance Model 3 is really only different from a standard Model 3 Long Range AWD in its software, there is some speculation that Tesla may allow owners of a Model 3 Long Range AWD to “unlock” the Performance option in the future via a paid software upgrade. This would allow existing owners of the Model 3 Long Range AWD to get better performance from their cars just by plunking down a credit card and getting a software update. This would be a brilliant move on Tesla’s part since it would allow the company to raise additional revenue at no additional cost.

As to reality? Good question! For myself, it doesn't really matter. I love some of the upgrades the Performance has to offer, but improved top speed/acceleration isn't one of them. The LR/AWD is all I will ever need.

yea..but without a white interior option I will have to wait
..I have waited since september 29th..at this point id be dumb to take a sleeper
I feel the same. I’m there with you!! September 21!!! At this point I have given up on when I will get the car, I just wish Tesla had better communication rather than allow social media platforms to accurately and inaccurately update their customers

and just watch, this week there will be sleeper option with white interior!